Re: [ICG-D] Panel on shopping for costumes?

  • VWarren360@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 8, 2011
      I admire people who can find stuff and assemble a costume out it. I'm lame about being able to find stuff so usually end up making it.
      Vicki

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 8, 2011
        Kind of on topic, but a man in our guild does nothing but photograph costumes, and he is a welcome addition to our members.

        Katt

        To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
        From: VWarren360@...
        Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 10:25:32 -0500

        I admire people who can find stuff and assemble a costume out it. I'm lame about being able to find stuff so usually end up making it.

        Vicki

        I got my start in costuming by assembling purchased items and accessorizing

        them. Didn't take me long to go from hall costumer to competition costumer,

        but there are plenty of people attending cons who do not have the desire to

        step on-stage ever. For those folks, purchasing costumes or parts thereof

        might be the only way they will costume at all.

        When we aren't talking about competition, a costume is a costume. How it's

        assembled and who does the work is, I think, irrelevant. No matter where I

        am, if I see something impressive, I take the time to say "nice costume."

        Recognition and appreciation make the best encouragement.

        Betsy

        > > On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM, ARD<kjaneway@...> wrote:

        > >> Should the ICG work of encouraging costume-wearing, independent of

        > >> whether or not a person makes their own or buys off the rack?

        Betsy Marks Delaney

        http://www.hawkeswood.com/

      • Kevin Roche
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8, 2011
          When I write masquerade rules, I always leave room for creatively
          assembled costumes (as opposed to costumes purchased outright as a
          finished piece).

          Disclosure to the judging panel (of made vs purchased) is required.

          Kevin

          On 12/8/2011 6:25 AM, Betsy Delaney wrote:

          > When we aren't talking about competition, a costume is a costume. How it's
          > assembled and who does the work is, I think, irrelevant. No matter where I
          > am, if I see something impressive, I take the time to say "nice costume."
          > Recognition and appreciation make the best encouragement.
          >
          > Betsy

        • staceylee25
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8, 2011
            --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, ARD <kjaneway@...> wrote:
            > So, where are the panels about shopping for your costume? There is a
            > lot of quality stuff in the dealers' room these days. But do people
            > know what to look for? Best colors? Best fit? Comfort? Care and
            > cleaning for a purchased outfit?

            You know, I have mixed feelings about this.

            On the one hand, I fully support and encourage the idea that a costume is a costume, where you got it from doesn't matter and people should wear whatever they want. In addition, I'm a commissioner and business for me is a good thing.

            On the other hand...well, perhaps it's because I'm in contact with a large segment of the cosplay genre whose first thought when it comes to buying their costumes is "which Japanese or Chinese seller will be cheapest?" I'm hesitant about using a panel to actively encourage this attitude, particularly since most of them don't care about fit or quality, they just want the low, low price.

            Now, a panel on assembling costumes from found items, with emphasis on supporting local businesses (for whatever value of "local" applies to your con/region), I'm all for. I don't do it myself, aside from shoes, but people who primarily assemble their costumes this way could be glorious experts on the subject and sure. Share your tips. Lots of people get started in costuming this way. Lots of people prefer this means of costuming, too. "Costuming for people who don't sew" or something like that is a safer name than "buying your costume," perhaps, lest you get people crawling in wanting a list of the best overseas websites to get the cheapest knockoff costumes from unlicensed dealers.

            Stace
            MACS president and other stuff
          • Elaine Mami
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2011
              Well, Carl did almost nothing but video for years - and now we have The Archives! Everyone who has any interest in costumes at all are welcome additions. That's especially true for our techies of all stripes!

              Elaine Nil significat nisi oscillat!

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2011
                I aqgree!

                Byron

                On Dec 8, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Betsy Delaney wrote:

                > IRecognition and appreciation make the best encouragement.
                >
                > Betsy

                > --
                > --
                > Betsy Marks Delaney
                >
                > http://www.hawkeswood.com/

              • Dany Pagani
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 8, 2011
                  >>On the other hand...well, perhaps it's because I'm in contact with a large
                  segment of the cosplay genre whose first thought when it comes to buying
                  their costumes is "which Japanese or Chinese seller will be cheapest?" I'm
                  hesitant about using a panel to actively encourage this attitude,
                  particularly since most of them don't care about fit or quality, they just
                  want the low, low price.>>

                  Perhaps, but I believe there is also a big sentiment of folks who would
                  probably make different decisions beyond "is this cheap" if they understood
                  more of what they were looking at.at least, that's my feeling based on what
                  I've seen.

                  The market is saturated with Cosplay dealers, both on eBay and off. I
                  figured this out firsthand when, on a lark, I decided to buy a Miku Hatsune
                  costume rather than make it myself, as would be my normal process. If
                  someone doesn't know what to look for, or how to measure themselves so they
                  choose the right size if they buy a general size instead of getting
                  customization, that limited budget is spent poorly and you end up being
                  frustrated with what you get. Problem is..it's REALLY hard to navigate to
                  find the right things. I feel like I know how to shop for stuff and I still
                  had a hard time when I shopped. I ended up going with about four different
                  vendors because each one had a different thing they did better than the
                  others that I used.

                  Those you know may not care about fit or quality, but if you show someone in
                  a crappy costume that looks bad, and then someone in a better quality
                  costume that looks good, and then said "which one do you want to look like?"
                  Show me someone who would pick the crappy costume, and I'll show you someone
                  who is probably blindfolded.

                  I think that's what people are trying to get at with this panel idea: if you
                  are gonna shop, how to shop wisely.how to use a limited budget to get what
                  you want, whether it's because you're buying thrift things to mod, or buying
                  off of an overseas vendor.

                  Dany
                  -who overall liked my eBay experience, but maybe was just lucky.

                • CC2010Milw@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2011
                    Posted by: "ARD" kjaneway@... worrystone_ard

                    Wed Dec 7, 2011 5:43 pm (PST)

                    Should the ICG work of encouraging costume-wearing, independent of
                    whether or not a person makes their own or buys off the rack?

                    As someone who excels at what I call Assemblage Costuming, I think we
                    should. Not everyone can sew their own stuff and it draws in more people.

                    Henry W. Osier
                    President
                    Armed Costumers Guild