Anglo-Saxon Hoard on Display

  • Lay, Toni
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2011
      Time: October 29, 2011 to March 2012

      Location:

      National Geographic Society Museum

      1145 17th Street NW

      Washington, D.C. 20036

      More Info:

      Don't miss the only U.S. appearance of the Anglo-Saxon Hoard!

      On July 5th 2009, Terry Herbert, a metal detector enthusiast, discovered
      the largest collection of Anglo-Saxon gold ever found. From farmland
      near Lichfield in Staffordshire, England, Terry and a team of
      archaeologists unearthed more than 3,500 pieces from hundreds of
      individual objects dating to about 650 A.D. Valued at close to $5
      million, the hoard includes exquisitely crafted artifacts, most of which
      are military in nature.

      More than 100 of these artifacts will be on exhibition at the National
      Geographic Museum including elaborate gold and garnet sword fittings,
      decorative elements for helmets, crosses, and a gold strip bearing a
      Latin inscription from the Bible.

      Explore the history behind the gold hoard as you travel back in time
      thirteen hundred years to Mercia, one of the most powerful and
      aggressive kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxon era. Although it may never be
      known who buried the hoard or why, the gold treasures offer clues about
      warfare, the spread of Christianity, and Saxon craftsmanship.

      Learn more about the find and ongoing conservation work on the U.K.
      website The Staffordshire Hoard

    • Gwyn Fireman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2011
        On 10/20/11 5:14 PM, Lay, Toni wrote:
        > Don't miss the only U.S. appearance of the Anglo-Saxon Hoard!

        Just saw the article in this month's Nat Geo! The knotwork and
        foil-backed garnet inlays are especially impressive.

        If you can't make it to D.C., you can get a closer look at some of the
        artifacts here:

        http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/expedition-week/secrets-of-the-lost-gold-interactive/
      • lisa58@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2011
          We are going to t ry and get downtown for a day in November to see this.
          It really sounds wonderful.

          The Civil War Era photo exhibit that was previously at the Library of
          Congress, called "The Last Full Measure" was astounding--and very moving.

          Yours in costuming, Lisa A

          On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:14:13 -0400 "Lay, Toni" <layt@...> writes:

          > Time: October 29, 2011 to March 2012
          >
          > Location:
          >
          > National Geographic Society Museum
          >
          > 1145 17th Street NW
          >
          > Washington, D.C. 20036
          >
          > More Info:
          >
          > Don't miss the only U.S. appearance of the Anglo-Saxon Hoard!
          >
          > On July 5th 2009, Terry Herbert, a metal detector enthusiast,
          > discovered
          > the largest collection of Anglo-Saxon gold ever found. From
          > farmland
          > near Lichfield in Staffordshire, England, Terry and a team of
          > archaeologists unearthed more than 3,500 pieces from hundreds of
          > individual objects dating to about 650 A.D. Valued at close to $5
          > million, the hoard includes exquisitely crafted artifacts, most of
          > which
          > are military in nature.
          >
          > More than 100 of these artifacts will be on exhibition at the
          > National
          > Geographic Museum including elaborate gold and garnet sword
          > fittings,
          > decorative elements for helmets, crosses, and a gold strip bearing
          > Latin inscription from the Bible.
          >
          > Explore the history behind the gold hoard as you travel back in
          > time
          > thirteen hundred years to Mercia, one of the most powerful and
          > aggressive kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxon era. Although it may never
          > be
          > known who buried the hoard or why, the gold treasures offer clues
          > about
          > warfare, the spread of Christianity, and Saxon craftsmanship.
          >
          > Learn more about the find and ongoing conservation work on the U.K.
          > website The Staffordshire Hoard

        • rookwoods
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2011
            cool, Gwyn! hadn't heard about this. DH and & will have to try to go!
            -Judy Mitchell

          • nebula5@nebula5.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 26, 2011
              >> On 10/20/11 5:14 PM, Lay, Toni wrote:
              >> > Don't miss the only U.S. appearance of the Anglo-Saxon Hoard!

              AAAAHHH!!! The Anglo-Saxon Horde is coming!!! AAAAHHH!!!

              Oh... Hoard.

              Never mind.

              --JZS
            • Steve Swope
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 26, 2011
                nebula5@... wrote:

                > AAAAHHH!!! The Anglo-Saxon Horde is coming!!! AAAAHHH!!!
                >
                > Oh... Hoard.
                >
                > Never mind.

                Thank you, Emily.