RE: [ICG-D] back from Anime North

  • Kaijugal .
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
      After we grew too big to be in one hotel we stopped announcing the awards at the dance that immediately followed in the main room as is traditional here.
      (the dance moved to the big convention centre across the street).

      Now there are multipul dances and loads of other events in our various hotels, not to mention the outdoor rave,
      so you never know where your potential masquerade winners may have gotten off to after they've left the masquerade stage.

      We have in the past few years tried to maintain audience interest by having the very popular 404's comedy group do half time
      entertainment while the judges deliberate, but that has had mixed results. (A huge line to get in for the 404's and some people from the masq staying for results),
      but the truth is most kids want to scoot off with their friends and enjoy the con, (dancing, etc), and are just as happy to see what they've won
      on the results wall the next day, or in the convention newspaper.

      I guess there is plenty of time for sharing photos and bragging on the internet after the con is done! LOL!

      ~Dawn

      -----------------------
      > > You know the still generally unsolved question of how to handle the audience
      > > after the judges leave? Here, they do announce the winners, but most of the
      > > contestants have gone on to party or wander long before the Judges come
      > > back. Only one group remained even partially in costume, and the BIS
      > > probably didn't discover until the next day that they suddenly jumped two
      > > levels and have to compete in the Master class everywhere from now on.

    • Nora & Bruce Mai
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
        Eh - as long as there are other distractions (oh, look! A chicken!), I
        guess that's gonna happen. Different strokes for different con folks.

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
          Nice to meet up with you again Dana, however brief.
          Penny.

          --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Gravely MacCabre <gravelymac@...> wrote:

          > Dana and Bruce,
          >
          > great to be with you for the weekend.
          >
          > The anime north masq was a tad diff than in previous years, which lead to the
          > heavy numbers of novices.
          > primery to this is that the usual list of artisan and master costumers have all
          > in one year seemingly moved up to management at the con, which of course is a
          > good thing.
          >
          > while the median costume was affected by 70 % novices, the top 30 or so, from
          > any of the divisions would have made up a perfectly fine cc masquerade( with
          > time to rehearse bringing the presenattions up to par)
          >
          > it reminded me ( almost) of huge cons of the 80's  where the best stuff would
          > win anywhere, but there were also a dozen kids in seperate entries  running on
          > stage with a starfleet shirt on LOL
          >
          > and of course there's the no rehersal stuff, which will never happen with full
          > tec, but may happenas far as a practice performance space in the future
          >
          > but rehersals and all the other tec things will be cc normal for cc 32 of course
          >
          > best in show was won by someone who won at cc this year ( Stacey, I forget her
          > last name...different costume of course) so, we find the best at anime north,
          > get them to a cc, they win a nice award, they go back home, see the world
          > differently, and take best in show. its a good thing
          >
          > but my favortite part AN this year, was watching you guys watch what was
          > happening.
          >
          > sort of like, when you are a kid, and go to the circus, you watch the show, when
          > you are an adult and go, you watch your kid watching the show.
          >
          > the attendees loved you. they would try to stay in character and be all tough
          > when you gave them a hall costume award, then run off in a combination of
          > giggles and teary eyed, after you left.
          >
          > You did really really well, representing the ICG and old school costuming,
          > letting them know how friendly and helpful and caring the guild can really be.
          > and I think you were an inspiration to many younger folks. at least they realize
          > they can costume past the age of 23 or so ;-)
          >

          >  Gravely MacCabre
          > http://www.castleblood.com
          > http://facebook.com/gravelymaccabre
          > http://etsy.com/shops/gravelymaccabre
          >

          > tv show clip samples at
          > http://www.veoh.com/channels/castleblood

          > From: Dana MacDermott <DMacD@...>

        • Lay, Toni
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
            Remember, these are kids with the attention span of flees. Something
            new has to happen every moment. To each, his own.

            Toni