Re: [ICG-D] Recycling costumes

  • bruno@soulmasque.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2011
      I did it once. But, it was something old that I didn't have much money
      in and it wasn't very good. So, it wasn't difficult to do. I have a
      houpellande that I have 20-40 yards (don't remember how much anymore,
      but it's a ton) of fabric in, which could easily be recycled, but I
      don't think I could recycle it. There's so much work in it. Not much
      money, go the fabric dirt cheap. But a lot of work. 12 yards of dags
      around the hem. I'd have to sell it before I recycled it.

      No one's ever seen it at a con I have to fly to because it takes my
      entire 26" upright suitcase.

      Bruno
    • Dina
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2011
        I've recycled, reused, resized, given away, and modified dozens of costumes over the years. Since I actively make and sell, I often have to look at something that has not sold and figure out what I did wrong or what the garment needs for it to find a home. At least 1 dress went through 3 different sleeve sets and 2 neckline changes before it made someone happy. By that point, it was economically a loss, but emotionally a win.

        If you want to post pictures somewhere of your "problem child" costume, someone might be able to see it differently and suggest a new direction.

        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "JoAnn Abbott" <bubblemum@...> wrote:

        > Hi All. Looking for some advice.
        >

        > I am strongly considering recycling a costume I made back in 1996, a
        > German ren I put a LOT of time and effort into. It is hard to think of
        > taking it apart, even though there is no way that size 16/18 Is ever going
        > to fit this 22 body again. I don't really do SCA anymore, and never brought
        > or wore It to Pennsic since it is so hot to wear; just to a few events in
        > Drachenwald. It is black and white woven satin, very heavy weight, with a
        > black bodice made of fabric with a subtle woven diapered pattern to it,
        > slashed and trimmed sleeves, all fully lined. I probably have 200 dollars
        > worth of fabric in this thing; it is still beautiful but I know I would
        > never be able to get anyone to buy it for what it is worth. The fabric
        > would probably work quite well in the steam punk outfit I am contemplating,
        > and with our finances these days, the savings would be nice.but.
        >

        > Sigh.
        >

        > So, how many of you have pulled things apart and made new outfits from the
        > recycled fabric? Is it this hard for everyone to do, thinking of taking
        > apart a piece of art you made in the past? I am such a packrat- I find it
        > hard to cull mystery items in the back of the fridge, this is a hundred
        > times worse. What do you do with your old outfits?
        >

        > JoAnn in VA

      • JoAnn Abbott
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2011
          Bruno- that is how I feel about this "German newspaper" dress of mine, so
          called because it is black and white and red..I tend to give my dresses nick
          names. I put a lot of work into it, but doesn't fit is still doesn't fit.
          Now it is on the dummy I am starting to see possibilities for it.

          To see the dress pls visit my flickr page at
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/calliopeva/ it is the first 3 photos. It is a
          little deceptive- the dummy is the singer model that is supposed to expand
          for larger bodies, but it doesn't hold to the size or height I set it at.
          It also only goes to a waist of 40- mine is 45. I need to find a way to pad
          it into more of a real me shape so I can use it better.

          Or lose weight by the con. Yeah right like THAT is gonna happen!

          Oh well, off to draw up some more ideas!

          JoAnn in VA

        • ARD
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2011
            I've recycled a few things. A few other things I've sold, but for
            garage sale prices, since the goal was to make space for other things.
            I had gotten my money's worth out of them from wearing them. Once I
            decide to part with something, I want it out the door, so I price it to
            move.

            Perhaps you can trade the costume for something else? Maybe someone who
            can wear it has some fabric in their stash that will go well for
            something you want to make? That would take MUCH less time than taking
            something apart to salvage the material.

            On 3/16/2011 6:07 AM, ICG-D@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            > 1a. Recycling costumes
            > Posted by: "JoAnn Abbott"bubblemum@... calliopeva
            > Date: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:53 pm ((PDT))
            >
            > Hi All. Looking for some advice.
            >

            > I am strongly considering recycling a costume I made back in 1996, a
            > German ren I put a LOT of time and effort into. It is hard to think of
            > taking it apart, even though there is no way that size 16/18 Is ever going
            > to fit this 22 body again. I don't really do SCA anymore, and never brought
            > or wore It to Pennsic since it is so hot to wear; just to a few events in
            > Drachenwald. It is black and white woven satin, very heavy weight, with a
            > black bodice made of fabric with a subtle woven diapered pattern to it,
            > slashed and trimmed sleeves, all fully lined. I probably have 200 dollars
            > worth of fabric in this thing; it is still beautiful but I know I would
            > never be able to get anyone to buy it for what it is worth. The fabric
            > would probably work quite well in the steam punk outfit I am contemplating,
            > and with our finances these days, the savings would be nice.but.

            It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
            Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

            **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
            who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
            nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civiliation and
            unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.
            - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -