Re: [ICG-D] Beginner presentations (was Re: BayCon Masquerade)

  • Elaine Mami
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 1, 2002
      >Well, that and watching masquerade tapes at home with close friends
      >where I could say all the nasty things I wanted about bad entries I
      >wanted without getting in trouble.
      >
      >--
      >andy trembley, Bitchy Design Queen

      As if that ever stopped you!

      Elaine

    • mscip@inreach.com
      Message 2 of 28 , May 26, 2003
        Hello All:

        Unfortunately, I don't have the results of the BayCon masquerade.

        It appears that the west coast may be on an upswing. The masquerade had more
        audience than I have seen in a long time. The room was filled to bursting, and
        they had to keep bringing out more chairs for all the people. A few people
        were left standing.

        The BayCon masquerade had 25 entries, but one had to drop out because it was
        a small who had to go to bed before the delayed masquerade started.

        The quality of the masquerade was greatly improved over previous years. The
        costumer that impressed me the most was an entry known as Vortex. I'm not sure
        if he was from a comic book, but the level of his costuming skills were very
        impressive. A furry beastie with mechanical wings that worked properly and
        well. The level of detail was very good, with a full face mask, and a proper
        walk for the beast. The only thing I would *slightly* ding him for is speech
        from the stage.

        Several entries were walk on, do a fashion turn, and walk off. These were all
        appropriate for their costumes. A few entries overstayed their welcome.

        A fun presentation for a large group was the One Ring Circus. A group of 12 or
        15 people (estimate not actual count) in LoTR costumes did an excellent group
        presentation that got everyone seen in a fun way. I recognized some of these
        costumes from ConJose masquerade. It was a fun presentation.

        One presentation that did not have good costuming was a Comedia presentation
        based on the RenFaire Comedia del Arte style with a Star Trek satire. The only
        reason why they semi-worked was because they were RenFaire experienced actors
        and knew how to project their voices. However, if you were not in the path of
        their voices, you did not hear anything. It was cute, but I, personally, would
        not have given them any kind of award.

        Overall, a good quality masquerade. I'm hoping that someone has pictures to
        post of it.

        Message 3 of 28 , May 31, 2005
          The entries for this year's BayCon masquerade were very good to
          excellent. The show had 25 entries with one dropout because of sound
          problems. Workmanship awards were given, but the convention newsletter
          did not list them. In response to the complaint that awards/names
          without pictures are frustrating, I have included known URLs for most
          of the entries. Unfortunately, the BayCon newsletter only printed the
          award winners and not all of the entry names.

          I had the honor of presenting Silicon Web's first-ever Dreamcatcher
          award. The Dreamcatcher award is for innovative technology and problem
          solving. On top of it all, it was a funny presentation as well as being
          really well crafted.

          Workmanship Awards

          Young Fan

          Best in Clas - Re-Creation
          Chris Harrington (Dash of the Incredibles)

          Novice Division

          Honorable Mention - Cloning and Beadwork
          Kathy Whitesel (Boriel)

          Best Fabrication - Scale Work and Applique
          Marjorie Warwick (Maya the Mermaid)

          Best in Class - Re-Creation
          Chris Bertani

          Open Division

          Honorable Mention - Garment Modification of Existing Pieces
          Adana Logan (Soul Caliber)

          Honorable Mention - Gauntlets and Makeup
          Joseph Michael Linsner (Unfortunately, I don't know which costume this
          is.)

          Honorable Mention - Fabric Dyeing of Shirts and Patch Creation
          Rebecca Valentino, Mike Bryant (Quidditch team)

          Honorable Mention - The Blue Man for Make-up for Nightcrawler
          Adam Burr, David Burr, Fiona Burr, Amanda Halperin, Robynne Clomp, and
          Nicole Rudolf (X-Men Cabaret)

          Honorable Mention - Breast Plate and Leatherwork
          Bill Howard (Kroenen from Hellboy)

          Honorable Mention - Cap and Emblem
          Honorable Mention - Cowl, Mysterious Woman
          Jade Falcon and Johanna Mead (Sorry, don't know which entry this was.)

          Best Original Pattern Work, Props and Media Re-Creation
          Dany, Jennifer, Cordelia, Kel, Shawna, Jeff, Kathleen, Trystan, and Leah
          (Starlight Project)

          Best in Class (Open)
          Eric Yee (Megaphant the Death Beast of Tokyo)

          Best in Show
          Phillip and Kathleen Gust (Theoden and Gamling Prepare for Battle...)

          Young Fan Awards

          First in Flight
          Vampire Bat
          by Ebeth Mittman
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id16.html>

          Most Dangerous
          The Basilisk from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Screts
          by Erin Mittman
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id16.html>

          Most Incredible
          Dash of the Incredibles
          by Chris Harrington
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id16.html>

          Fantasy Award
          Maya the Mermaid
          Maya Warwick, designed by Marjorie Warwick (mom)
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id16.html>

          Novice Division

          Science Fiction
          Powered by Steam
          by Robert Toland
          Photos by Jack Krolak at:
          <http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=353738>
          <http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=353737>
          <http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=353734>
          <http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=353733>
          <http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=353732>
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Humor Award
          Boriel
          by Kathy Whitesel
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Best in Division
          British Naval Captain
          by Chris Bertani
          * Chris also received the Greater Bay Area Costumers Guild Rising Star
          Award
          for Most Promising Novice.
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id16.html>

          Open Division

          Honorable Mention for Weapons and Armor
          Kroenen from Hellboy
          by Bill Howard
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Honorable Mention for Details
          Cry for Dawn
          by Laura Ehrlich
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Honorable Mention for Re-Creation
          Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
          (names not listed)
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Honorable Mention for Design
          Catwoman
          by Dena Natali
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Crossover Award - Presentation
          X-Men Cabaret
          by Adam Burr, David Burr, Fiona Burr, Amanda Halperin, Robynne Clomp,
          NIcole
          Rudolf
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Dangerous Elegance Award
          Soul Caliber 2's Ivy Valentine
          by Adana Logan
          Photos by Jack Krolak at:
          <http://images.cosplay.com/
          showgallery.php?BRSR=60&userid=1927&cat=17174&sort=>
          <http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=353701>
          <http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=353703>
          <http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=353702>
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Breakout Award for Working in Theme
          Quidditch World Cup Winners: Azkaban Arachnids
          by Jason Sinclair, Joe Price, Rebecca Valentino, Mike Bryant.
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Best Re-Creation
          Starlight Project
          Dany, Jennifer (aka Radar), Cordelia, Kel, Shawna, Jeff, Kathleen,
          Trystan,
          and Leah.
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id17.html>

          Best in Division
          Theoden and Gamling Prepare for the Battle of Helms Deep
          Phillip Gust and Kathleen Gust
          Photos by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id16.html>

          Best in Show
          Cuddles aka Gezora from Toho Monster Movie vs. Megaphant the Death
          Beast of
          Tokyo
          by Mark Murillo and Eric Yee
          * Mark and Eric also received the Silicon Web Costumers Guild
          Dreamcatcher
          award for Innovative Technology and Problem Solving. This is the
          first time
          this award has been given.
          Photo by Danny Low at:
          <http://home.earthlink.net/~dannylow/id16.html>
        • Dany
          Message 4 of 28 , May 31, 2005
            > Workmanship awards were given, but
            > the convention newsletter did not list them.

            Actually, they were listed, but due to space constraints from the pictures
            for Sunday morning's newsletter release, they delayed them until the
            afternoon issue.

            Dany
            -Page 2, in fact :)

          • rookwoods
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 1, 2005
              --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Carole Parker <mscip@i...> wrote:

              > Workmanship Awards
              > Open Division
              > Honorable Mention - Gauntlets and Makeup
              > Joseph Michael Linsner (Unfortunately, I don't know which costume this
              > is.)

              Just a guess here, but since Linsner is the artist of the Dawn
              comic (for which the "Dawn costume contest" at Dragon Con happens
              every year), I'd suspect he had a hand in on 'Cry for Dawn'. I could
              be wrong, but it seems likely.

              -Judy Mitchell
            • Dany
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 1, 2005
                > > Workmanship Awards
                > > Open Division
                > > Honorable Mention - Gauntlets and Makeup
                > > Joseph Michael Linsner (Unfortunately, I don't know which costume this
                > > is.)
                >
                >    Just a guess here, but since Linsner is the artist of the Dawn
                > comic (for which the "Dawn costume contest" at Dragon Con happens
                > every year), I'd suspect he had a hand in on 'Cry for Dawn'. I could
                > be wrong, but it seems likely.

                Same character. If I looked right, she was actually recreating one of the
                first outfits she is shown wearing in the "Lucifer's Halo" series.

                Dany
                -crazy enough to actually enter that contest this year.
              • Andrew T Trembley
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 1, 2005
                  On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Dany wrote:

                  >>> Workmanship Awards
                  >>> Open Division
                  >>> Honorable Mention - Gauntlets and Makeup
                  >>> Joseph Michael Linsner (Unfortunately, I don't know which costume
                  >>> this
                  >>> is.)
                  >>
                  >>    Just a guess here, but since Linsner is the artist of the Dawn
                  >> comic (for which the "Dawn costume contest" at Dragon Con happens
                  >> every year), I'd suspect he had a hand in on 'Cry for Dawn'. I could
                  >> be wrong, but it seems likely.
                  >
                  > Same character. If I looked right, she was actually recreating one of
                  > the
                  > first outfits she is shown wearing in the "Lucifer's Halo" series.

                  Yeah, we had a flaw or two in the software, and she filled Linser's
                  name instead of her own because the blank said "designed by" instead of
                  both her name and Linser's or just her own.

                  --
                  andy trembley, Bitchy Design Queen
                  http://www.bovil.com/
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
                    --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Dany <dany@l...> wrote:

                    > Same character. If I looked right, she was actually recreating one
                    of the
                    > first outfits she is shown wearing in the "Lucifer's Halo" series.

                    Ok, I"m NOT versed at all in the costumes and series of the Dawn
                    stuff, but I thought Lucifer's Halo was the blasted thing I'm making
                    for this year's Dawn? blue body with white sleeves and skirting? I
                    know the storyline with that costume is that Dawn has to retrieve
                    Lucifer's Halo. This costume didn't look like what I'm making. And
                    mine has no guantlets - just long skintight sleeves. I'm confused?

                    -Judy Mitchell
                  • Dany
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
                      > Ok, I"m NOT versed at all in the costumes and series of
                      > the Dawn stuff, but I thought Lucifer's Halo was the blasted
                      > thing I'm making for this year's Dawn? blue body with white
                      > sleeves and skirting? I know the storyline with that costume
                      > is that Dawn has to retrieve Lucifer's Halo. This costume
                      > didn't look like what I'm making. And mine has no guantlets -
                      > just long skintight sleeves. I'm confused?

                      Lucifer's Halo is also the name of the trade paperback with the series of
                      issues around Dawn, how she and Darrien Ashoka met, the Halo, etc. In fact,
                      I believe that some call what was done at BayCon the "First Meeting" outfit.

                      I think I know what you're making...I can't remember right off where it is,
                      but I know I've seen it.

                      Dany
                      -slightly Linsner nerdy

                    • rookwoods
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
                        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Dany" <dany@l...> wrote:
                        > Lucifer's Halo is also the name of the trade paperback with the
                        series of
                        > issues around Dawn,

                        Oh! Ok. Like I said, I don't particularly follow Dawn, but a
                        friend does.

                        > I think I know what you're making...I can't remember right off where
                        it is,
                        > but I know I've seen it.

                        All patron saints and gods of sewing help me, my friend (you
                        didn't think *I* was going to wear one of those things!) wants to
                        compete it at D*C so the darn thing has to finished soon. Are you
                        entering this year?

                        -Judy
                      • Aurora Celeste
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Hee, I know I am, and I'm pretty sure Dany's been bullied into it too. If
                          you want some help with the costume from the die-hard enthusiasts, visit the
                          contest forum:
                          http://p066.ezboard.com/bdawncontest
                          Everyone's nice and helpful there, feel free to drop in and ask questions!
                          Aurora

                          On 6/2/05, rookwoods <judymitch@...> wrote:

                          > --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Dany" <dany@l...> wrote:
                          > > Lucifer's Halo is also the name of the trade paperback with the
                          > series of
                          > > issues around Dawn,
                          >
                          > Oh! Ok. Like I said, I don't particularly follow Dawn, but a
                          > friend does.
                          >
                          > > I think I know what you're making...I can't remember right off where
                          > it is,
                          > > but I know I've seen it.
                          >
                          > All patron saints and gods of sewing help me, my friend (you
                          > didn't think *I* was going to wear one of those things!) wants to
                          > compete it at D*C so the darn thing has to finished soon. Are you
                          > entering this year?
                          >
                          > -Judy

                        • Dany
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                            The only trick right now is that ezboard recently got hacked into, and
                            none of the forum messages are showing up.

                            Hopefully this doesn't last too long.

                            Dany
                            -whose been bullied about the Contest sine 2001! *ee!*

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 5, 2005
                              Okay, does anyone have the full running list for Baycon? Is the MD on this
                              list, or can of you Bay area folks contact that person and get it?

                              Or any other masquerades around the country.

                              Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.

                              "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                              Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                              -- C.Y. 4971

                              Andromeda
                            • Dany
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 5, 2005
                                > Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.

                                Pierre, are there particular masqs that you are trying to get? Or do you
                                want to just grab any lists?

                                I can see about getting running lists for say, San Diego ComicCon if you
                                want. I've got a good rapport with the MD over there.

                                And since I'll be going to Dragon*Con this year too (unless something scary
                                happens) I can grab that for you as well.

                                Dany
                                -who won't be IN it, which might make things easier*

                                *though making up for it with the Dawn competition.

                              • Heather Monson
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 6, 2005
                                  --- Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

                                  > Or any other masquerades around the country.
                                  >
                                  > Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.

                                  If you're interested, I can post the masquerade awards from CONduit, a
                                  local con held in Salt Lake City each Memorial Day weekend. I have the
                                  list at home. As I recall, Stephanie Park won two awards for her latest
                                  mask creation. :-)

                                  Anyway, let me know if you'd like them--I don't know if your obsession
                                  extends all the way down to local cons. ;-)

                                  Heather Monson
                                  CONduit's latest Masquerade Coordinator
                                  (who had a ball and can't wait to do it again next year)

                                  "When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown-up." --C.S. Lewis, 1947

                                  __________________________________
                                  Discover Yahoo!
                                  http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
                                • Kevin Roche
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 6, 2005
                                    I have it. We used it to build our judging database

                                    (once the awards were figured out, we had certificates ready in 5-10
                                    minutes flat, because I'd captured everyone's signatures in advance; I
                                    LOVE my new BlueTooth graphics tablet)

                                    And for those of us who are helping feed your obsession, what format
                                    would you these lists in? Is an Excel spreadsheet acceptable?

                                    Kevin

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 6, 2005
                                      At 10:50 PM 6/5/2005, you wrote:

                                      > > Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.
                                      >
                                      >Pierre, are there particular masqs that you are trying to get? Or do you
                                      >want to just grab any lists?

                                      Oh any lists at all. I have a future project in mind. So anything you can
                                      get, Dany, would be appreciated.

                                      Pierre

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 7, 2005
                                        At 11:45 AM 6/6/2005, you wrote:
                                        >--- Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Or any other masquerades around the country.
                                        > >
                                        > > Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.
                                        >
                                        >If you're interested, I can post the masquerade awards from CONduit, a
                                        >local con held in Salt Lake City each Memorial Day weekend. I have the
                                        >list at home. As I recall, Stephanie Park won two awards for her latest
                                        >mask creation. :-)
                                        >
                                        >Anyway, let me know if you'd like them--I don't know if your obsession
                                        >extends all the way down to local cons. ;-)

                                        Yes.

                                        That's the short answer. I'd love to see any and all info on any and all
                                        CONduit masquerade

                                        Thanks

                                        Pierre

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 7, 2005
                                          At 01:33 PM 6/6/2005, you wrote:
                                          >I have it. We used it to build our judging database
                                          >
                                          >(once the awards were figured out, we had certificates ready in 5-10
                                          >minutes flat, because I'd captured everyone's signatures in advance; I
                                          >LOVE my new BlueTooth graphics tablet)
                                          >
                                          >And for those of us who are helping feed your obsession, what format
                                          >would you these lists in? Is an Excel spreadsheet acceptable?

                                          I know you've already sent it to me, Kevin. However for anyone else, I can
                                          take Excel, Word, RTF, PDF's, or even Access if that's your pleasure. I'll
                                          even take a handwritten list mailed to me. (Be prepared for lots of
                                          questions, though, if I can't read something.)

                                          Pierre

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 7, 2005
                                            You're planning to break your own record for the number of members of a masquerade entry?! :)

                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 10, 2006
                                              BayCon Masquerade May 27, 2006
                                              San Jose Doubletree Hotel
                                              free hotel parking for registered BayCon attendees

                                              We invite everyone who will not be attending CostumeCon to enter the BayCon
                                              Masquerade. Although our focus is on the new costumers, and we try to make
                                              the experience an easy one for them, all are welcome.

                                              This year's theme is the Babylon 5 Ambassadorial Ball, and Stephen Furst,
                                              who played Emperor Vir Cotto, is going to choose the winner of the Most
                                              Thematic award!

                                              We have tweaked the BayCon Masquerade Rules a bit to make it easier to
                                              bring and use music or recorded sound. The rule for this should be online,
                                              but to summarize, the easiest way is to send an MP3 to DJ@.... In
                                              addition, there will be a chance to hand in MP3s or CDs to the new DJ at
                                              the Meet the Guests reception, and again, on Saturday, at the How to Enter
                                              a Masquerade panel (it might be called Masquerade 101). Please make a copy
                                              of whatever you hand in, and keep it with you as a backup.

                                              We apologize for last year's problems and hope we have solved them.

                                              As usual, you can turn in your entry forms at the Info Table up until 5 pm
                                              Saturday, but please don't wait till the last minute. Please give us as
                                              much time as possible to get you into the entrant database. Entry forms
                                              should also be available online.

                                              A separate Children's Masquerade is planned, possibly on Sunday (details
                                              TBD), so that the wee ones won't have to stay up so late on Saturday night.

                                              I'm actually working this Masquerade, so I can probably get you the answers
                                              to specific questions pretty quickly. But check the website first:
                                              http://baycon.org/2006/masquerade/ , http://baycon.org/2006/costuming/

                                              CarolynKayta Barrows
                                              dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
                                              www.FunStuft.com

                                              ///\\\\\
                                              ////-@@\\\
                                              (((( 7 )))
                                              )(( <> ))(
                                              * ) ( *
                                              /----\ /---\
                                            • Martin Gear
                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 10, 2006
                                                On the other hand, if you are on the East Coast and find the drive to
                                                San Jose to be a bit excessive, Balticon (Mariott Hunt Valley Inn -
                                                Baltimore/Hunt Valley, MD) is the same weekend and you will be most
                                                welcome at my masquerade.

                                                Marty

                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 10, 2006
                                                  CC 24 is also on this weekend.