Re: [ICG-D] Blog post about the 1972 Westercon

  • Lisa Harrigan
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2010
      Rarely pop in here, but this post caught my eye, and since it was My Costume

      It was "Golden Haired Sif, Welcoming her husband, Thor, home after a
      hard day on the battle field". The title was longer than the costume.
      :) The Myth reference was because this was a Mythcon in addition to the
      Westercon. It consisted of a Vessel of Mead (the vase and yes it had
      mead in it) and some rings. I created it at the request of Dave Hulan
      (con chair) who I was dating at the time.

      Most Naked Lady costumes went on for about a year.

      At Filmcon, there was "The Special Channukah Gift for David Gerrold".
      Across my chest he wrote, "Do Not Open. This is Mine." We were working
      on something at the time. It didn't pan out (I was Northern CA, he was
      Southern CA. He decided he was gay much later.)

      I also wore "A Costume that NBC would not approve of" to Equicon. It got
      a judge's award from Betty Ballantine, and the appreciation of Gene
      Roddenberry. Majel kept a stern eye on him. ;)

      Then there was "Gauze and Effect" for the next Westercon. Didn't win
      anything but it was fun.

      There was someone else on the East Coast who was as notorious as I was.

      Then they were banned. And then I got pregnant, and was in no condition
      to challenge the ban.

      Lisa Deutsch Harrigan

    • randwhit@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 7, 2010
        Too bad. You could have competed as most naked lady and a group costume at
        the same time.

        Randall

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2010
          At 07:33 PM 11/7/2010, you wrote:

          Great information Lisa! This just the sort of thing we need for our
          history. We have a copy of this photo from Mike Resnick that will be
          on the gallery in a bit. (It has some nice black bars so we are
          PG-13). May we put this up as well?

          Pierre

          >Rarely pop in here, but this post caught my eye, and since it was My Costume
          >
          >It was "Golden Haired Sif, Welcoming her husband, Thor, home after a
          >hard day on the battle field". The title was longer than the costume.
          >:) The Myth reference was because this was a Mythcon in addition to the
          >Westercon. It consisted of a Vessel of Mead (the vase and yes it had
          >mead in it) and some rings. I created it at the request of Dave Hulan
          >(con chair) who I was dating at the time.
          >
          >Most Naked Lady costumes went on for about a year.
          >
          >At Filmcon, there was "The Special Channukah Gift for David Gerrold".
          >Across my chest he wrote, "Do Not Open. This is Mine." We were working
          >on something at the time. It didn't pan out (I was Northern CA, he was
          >Southern CA. He decided he was gay much later.)
          >
          >I also wore "A Costume that NBC would not approve of" to Equicon. It got
          >a judge's award from Betty Ballantine, and the appreciation of Gene
          >Roddenberry. Majel kept a stern eye on him. ;)
          >
          >Then there was "Gauze and Effect" for the next Westercon. Didn't win
          >anything but it was fun.
          >
          >There was someone else on the East Coast who was as notorious as I was.
          >
          >Then they were banned. And then I got pregnant, and was in no condition
          >to challenge the ban.
          >
          >Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          >
          >On 11/4/2010 10:53 PM, Steve Swope wrote:
          > >
          > > I heard the story from Marjii Ellers, at one of the several costume
          > > history panels she presented at CostumeCon (I forget which one).
          > > She had a close-up of "Thor's Wife..."; I recognize it from the
          > > relatively plain white vase. I remember her giving the title as
          > > "Hero's Welcome" (was it presented at more than one con?). She
          > > also said that it more or less killed the "Most Naked Lady"
          > > category.
          > >
          > > Steve Swope (aka
          > <mailto:phierma%40sbcglobal.net>phierma@...
          > <mailto:phierma%40sbcglobal.net>)

          "Those Who Fail to Learn History
          Why They Are Simply Doomed."

          -- C. Y. 4971

        • Nora & Bruce Mai
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 10, 2010
            Thanks for the back story. Mind if we save it for the Archives?

            Bruce

            "Our Hobby - Our History"

            Assistant Archivist, Pat & Peggy Kennedy Memorial Library

            IC Gallery Admin