RE: [ICG-D] I'm Coping

  • Elaine Mami
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
      Actually, he's driving to Nebraska right now! The rest of the Archives is on the move!!

      Elaine

      Nil significat nisi oscillat!

      > To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
      > From: layt@...
      > Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:24:39 -0400
      > Subject: RE: [ICG-D] I'm Coping
      >
      > Carl Mami told me he's here instead of Arizona, because it gets too hot
      > for him in Arizona. Okay, Carl, what do you do now?
      >
      > Toni
      >
      > ________________________________

    • Martin Gear
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
        And of course, I'm leaving my nice air conditioned house in Maryland
        (same range of temperatures as Toni's) to come to NYC tomorrow. (Of
        course, I'll be seeing The Addams Family Musical tomorrow night, but it
        will still be HOT!)

        Marty

        Lay, Toni wrote:

        > Carl Mami told me he's here instead of Arizona, because it gets too hot
        > for him in Arizona. Okay, Carl, what do you do now?
        >
        > Toni
        >
        > ________________________________
        >
        > From: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ICG-D%40yahoogroups.com>

      • Silvara
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
          I wish it was only a 100 here... getting to be 113 in some nieghborhoods : (

          Sharron
          ---- "McClure wrote:

          =============
          Good grief. Take care of yourself, OK? We don't need your next costume
          appearance to be that of 'Melted Toni'!

          Kate McClure
          Wondering if that big shiny thing in the sky is normal . . .

          ________________________________

          Yesterday when I woke up at 7am it was 83 degrees outside. I got to
          103. Luckily, the buses and subways are air conditioned, as is my
          workplace, or I'd have stayed home.

          I spent the holiday weekend on my bed in front of the fan, watching
          videos. I also slept a lot.

          It might get to 100 today, too.

          oh joy.

        • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
            We here in the Great Pacific NorthWET are not too sure what to make of
            all this . . . This . . . BRIGHTNESS! We're used to being able to skulk
            around in the drizzle, but now? Do you know what this will do to our
            fine black silks? It's unnatural, I tell ya!

            Kate McClure

            I wish it was only a 100 here... getting to be 113 in some nieghborhoods
            : (

            Sharron
          • Susan Toker
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
              It was 103 yesterday. Its about 99 at the moment but it probably will be
              100+ before the day is out. Definitely hide in air conditioners while you
              can.

              NJ is also in a drought. Bone dry soil, dead grass and all the trees are
              drooping.
              We are in a red flag fire zone too. You can almost hear the plants crying
              out for water.

              The birds seem happy though!
              Susan

            • randwhit@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                Those temperatures are perfectly normal for around here, but you have that
                humordidity thing to deal with.

                Randall in Phoenix

                In a message dated 7/7/2010 8:42:23 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                layt@... writes:

                Yesterday when I woke up at 7am it was 83 degrees outside. I got to
                103. Luckily, the buses and subways are air conditioned, as is my
                workplace, or I'd have stayed home.

                I spent the holiday weekend on my bed in front of the fan, watching
                videos. I also slept a lot.

                It might get to 100 today, too.

                oh joy.

              • Lay, Toni
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                  It's been reported on the radio that some workers are staying in their
                  workplaces until nine and ten at night to take advantage of the air
                  conditioning. I go home at my usual time and sit in front of the fan
                  all evening. It's 98 degrees right now, but 37 degrees Celsius sounds
                  too cold. I'd rather be hot. BTW, the heat index is 105 degrees. OY!

                  Toni in NYC

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                    --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Lay, Toni" <layt@...> wrote:
                    > BTW, the heat index is 105 degrees. OY!

                    yep, radio said at BWI yesterday it was 105 (not counting heat index) and today was down to 101. I think they said the death toll in Maryland was up to 8 or 9 people so far.

                    -Judy Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                      Marty --

                      Please tell us about the show and what you thought of it.

                      Byron

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                        Anyone remember "The Lathe of Heaven"?

                        Byron

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                          It's been in the mid-90s in Albany, too. I don't understand it. Since the Legislature has gone home, where is all this hot air coming from?

                          Byron

                          On Jul 7, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Lay, Toni wrote:

                          > Yesterday when I woke up at 7am it was 83 degrees outside. I got to
                          > 103. Luckily, the buses and subways are air conditioned, as is my
                          > workplace, or I'd have stayed home.
                          >
                          > I spent the holiday weekend on my bed in front of the fan, watching
                          > videos. I also slept a lot.
                          >
                          > It might get to 100 today, too.
                          >
                          > oh joy.
                          >
                          > Toni

                        • Martin Gear
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                            Will do. I've got 5th row center orchestra seats so I should have a
                            great view of the show.

                            Marty

                            On 7/7/2010 9:01 PM, Byron Connell wrote:
                            > Marty --
                            >
                            > Please tell us about the show and what you thought of it.
                            >
                            > Byron
                            >

                            > On Jul 7, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Martin Gear wrote:
                            >

                            >> And of course, I'm leaving my nice air conditioned house in Maryland
                            >> (same range of temperatures as Toni's) to come to NYC tomorrow. (Of
                            >> course, I'll be seeing The Addams Family Musical tomorrow night, but it
                            >> will still be HOT!)
                            >>
                            >> Marty
                            >>
                            >> Lay, Toni wrote:
                            >>

                            >>> Carl Mami told me he's here instead of Arizona, because it gets too hot
                            >>> for him in Arizona. Okay, Carl, what do you do now?
                            >>>
                            >>> Toni
                            >>>
                            >>> ________________________________
                            >>>
                            >>> From: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ICG-D%40yahoogroups.com>

                          • Alix Jordan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                              Dear Toni:

                              > Yesterday when I woke up at 7am it was 83 degrees outside. I got to
                              > 103. Luckily, the buses and subways are air conditioned, as is my
                              > workplace, or I'd have stayed home.

                              We're on Celsius up here, but I went in to a conversion site. Last week we were up to 31 but the humidity pushed it up to feeling like 108 on your scale. Last few days, we've been closer to 100 counting the humidity, but we've also got a smog...excuse me, air quality advisory alert, plus the UV index is 11 or extreme. And we do not have air conditioning! Went out yesterday because I had to go to the bank, but am not leaving the house until the weather breaks...or next Friday, when I have to go downtown for my mamogram. sigh And the backyard pool is not enclosed, and doesn't have a life guard, so between heat exhaustion, asthama, and rampaging teenagers, I'm not using the pool again this year. I hate summer!

                              Peace

                              Alixandra

                              eddanatobias@...

                            • Martin Gear
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 9, 2010
                                Byron (and anyone else who is interested) -
                                The short form answer is: "By all means if you have the opportunity, go
                                see it!" The sold out crowd and I enjoyed it immensely.

                                The longer answer is that I understand why the critics didn't like it
                                and why with the exception of Kevin Chamberlin (Uncle Fester) none of
                                the leads were nominated for Tony's. The book is weak, the songs are
                                uninspired, some of the gag lines are either old or telegraphed, and the
                                first act is somewhat slow.

                                Having said that, the sets and special effects are brilliant, as are the
                                costumes and make-up, and there was some inspired puppetry. The ensemble
                                (the ancestors) to a person were great, Kevin Chamberlin almost steals
                                the show from Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth and that is an almost
                                impossible feat. Bebe Neuwirth may well be the best Morticia ever and if
                                Nathan Lane doesn't top my favorite Gomez (John Austin) he certainly
                                beats Raul Julia! (And it's Nathan Lane for ghods sake!) Jackie Hoffman
                                as Grandmama, Adam Riegler as Pugsley, and Zachary James as Lurch also
                                deserve special kudos. Krysta Rodriguez as Wednesday is, unfortunately,
                                stuck with the character as written. Even Christina Ricci couldn't have
                                made this version of Wednesday "sing".

                                This is "The Addams Family", not "Hamlet" and I don't regret for one
                                moment paying "producers' reserved" price for a pair of 5th row center
                                orchestra seats.

                                The first musical that I saw on Broadway was "Me and Juliet", by Rodgers
                                and Hammerstein that is not among their best remembered shows although
                                it is one of my favorites. There is an intermission song in the play
                                that has the lyrics:
                                "The theater is dying, the theater is dying, the theater is practically
                                dead!
                                "Someone every day writes
                                "We have no more playwrights
                                "The theater is sick in the head!
                                "But actors keep acting
                                "and plays keep attracting
                                "and seats are not easy to buy."

                                All of that applies to "The Addams Family Musical". I understand that
                                Nathan Lane signed a one year contract which means that the show should
                                be running on Broadway at least until next March, and if the audience at
                                last night's performance was any indication it will be playing to a full
                                house in spite of the critics.