Re: Home safe

  • Nora
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2010
      We had a little rain into IL but not most of the way. But we had a heack of a thunderstomr last night! Lasted over an hour - glad I don't have to work today cause I didn't get much sleep last night.

      Nora

      --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

      > Hi, all,
      >
      > Got into town about 7:30 pm CDT. Dinner, picking up a few groceries,
      > unloading, etc. - headed to bed soon. Trip was OK if chilly and windy.
      >
      > Sandy
      >
      > "Those Who Fail to Learn History
      > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
      > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly -
      > Why They Are Simply Doomed."
      >
      > Achemdro'hm
      > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
      > -- C. Y. 4971
      >
      > Andromeda

    • Susan Toker
      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2010
        I hope all the Oklahomans got home okay. Tornado's hit Oklahoma City and
        really did damage. I would love to hear that they are OK.

        On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <
        costumrs@...> wrote:

        > Hi, all,
        >
        > Got into town about 7:30 pm CDT. Dinner, picking up a few groceries,
        > unloading, etc. - headed to bed soon. Trip was OK if chilly and windy.
        >
        > Sandy
        >
        > "Those Who Fail to Learn History
        > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly -
        > Why They Are Simply Doomed."
        >
        > Achemdro'hm
        > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        > -- C. Y. 4971
        >
        > Andromeda

      • romln47
        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2010
          Nasty wind in Iowa on Monday, too. Very unplesant when I turned south.
          So, you Pettingers heading out for Demicon this weekend? DO you even have time to unpack?
          Susan E

          --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

          > Hi, all,
          >
          > Got into town about 7:30 pm CDT. Dinner, picking up a few groceries,
          > unloading, etc. - headed to bed soon. Trip was OK if chilly and windy.
          >
          > Sandy

        • Karen Heim
          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2010
            The lightning and thunder had started by the time I went
            to bed, but I blissfully slept through the storm itself.

            Karen

            Message 5 of 9 , May 12, 2010
              Unpacked the suitcases this morning, did laundry, re-packed. Will
              sort the rest of the boxes tomorrow and re-arrange for Demicon. See you then!
              Sandy

              At 01:29 PM 5/12/2010, you wrote:

              >Nasty wind in Iowa on Monday, too. Very unplesant when I turned south.
              >So, you Pettingers heading out for Demicon this weekend? DO you even
              >have time to unpack?
              >Susan E
              >
              >--- In <mailto:ICG-D%40yahoogroups.com>ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Pierre
              >& Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi, all,
              > >
              > > Got into town about 7:30 pm CDT. Dinner, picking up a few groceries,
              > > unloading, etc. - headed to bed soon. Trip was OK if chilly and windy.
              > >
              > > Sandy

              "Those Who Fail to Learn History
              Why They Are Simply Doomed."

              -- C. Y. 4971

              Andromeda
            • Elaine Mami
              Message 6 of 9 , May 15, 2010
                Jean & I got home late last night. We had an eventful drive through Kansas!!!! But we made up for it by spending 3.5 hours in Winston, AZ. We stood on the corner, then had lunch in the old Harvey Hotel, now known as the La Posada, and toured lots of the reconstructed hotel. Anyone planning to get to CC30 by way of Rte 40 (old rte. 66!) should seriously consider stopping there.

                Elaine

                Nil significat nisi oscillat!

                Message 7 of 9 , May 16, 2010
                  On Tuesday, when we were scheduled to leave Milwaukee, it was rainy and windy. We had booked on the ferry across Lake Michigan to Muskegon, MI (reversing our arrival), with the intention of driving on to Dearborn, MI, where we had a reservation for the night. We received a phone call that morning from the ferry company to inform us that it had canceled all sailings for the day because of weather and water conditions; our prepaid reservation would be refunded. This left us with no alternative except to drive through Chicago, which we had wanted ti avoid. In addition, if you look at a map, there isn't a lot of sense in driving south from Milwaukee to Chicago and then northeast to Dearborn; however, Tuesday morning was too late to cancel our hotel reservation without penalty.

                  The drive through Chicago was surprisingly painless and the rain tapered off to occasional sprinkles. The total time from Milwaukee to Dearborn was about eight hours, or three hours longer than we had planned.

                  The next day, we crossed into Ontario at Detroit and drove to Buffalo, where we stayed for one final night before driving to Albany on Thursday. The cats were actually glad to see us for a change! (Our daughter had been cat-sitting.)

                  All in all, our new car performed superbly. I was delighted to discover that it runs on the battery at speeds up to 40 miles per hour, instead of the 35 mph speed at which the engine cut in for our old car. We topped up the gas in Dearborn and didn't stop again for gas until Syracuse, NY!

                  Of course, none of this has anything to do with costuming.

                  Byron

                  On May 15, 2010, at 11:20 PM, Elaine Mami wrote:

                  > Jean & I got home late last night. We had an eventful drive through Kansas!!!! But we made up for it by spending 3.5 hours in Winston, AZ. We stood on the corner, then had lunch in the old Harvey Hotel, now known as the La Posada, and toured lots of the reconstructed hotel. Anyone planning to get to CC30 by way of Rte 40 (old rte. 66!) should seriously consider stopping there.
                  >
                  > Elaine
                  >
                  > Nil significat nisi oscillat!
                  >
                  > > To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                  > > From: von_drago@...
                  > > Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 16:26:10 +0000
                  > > Subject: [ICG-D] Re: Home safe
                  > >
                  > > We had a little rain into IL but not most of the way. But we had a heack of a thunderstomr last night! Lasted over an hour - glad I don't have to work today cause I didn't get much sleep last night.
                  > >
                  > > Nora
                  > >
                  > > --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi, all,
                  > > >
                  > > > Got into town about 7:30 pm CDT. Dinner, picking up a few groceries,
                  > > > unloading, etc. - headed to bed soon. Trip was OK if chilly and windy.
                  > > >
                  > > > Sandy
                  > > >
                  > > > "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                  > > > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                  > > > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly -
                  > > > Why They Are Simply Doomed."
                  > > >
                  > > > Achemdro'hm
                  > > > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                  > > > -- C. Y. 4971
                  > > >
                  > > > Andromeda

                • Steve Swope
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 18, 2010
                    Elaine Mami wrote:
                    > ... But we made up for it by spending 3.5 hours in Winston, AZ.
                    > We stood on the corner...

                    Did you perchance mean "Winston" in the "Winslow" sense of the word?

                    --

                    Steve Swope (aka phierma@...)