Re: [ICG-D] What judges look for - A question

  • Puppetmaker
    Message 1 of 53 , Feb 4, 2010
      I come from a stage background so I tend to look at the presentation. Does
      it flow? Does it go on too long? Does it keep my interest? Does it keep the
      audience's interest? I do pay attention to how those around are reacting to
      the costume.

      As to the costumes, if they are recreating known (and not so known)
      characters, does it look like what it is suppose to look like. Shoes are big
      on my list if seen not so much if not seen. Cleverness gets my attention
      esp.if the trick creates the illusion of the costume.

      Most of my wins have not come on the costumes themselves but for the
      presentation of the costumes on stage. I have one heck of a writer and
      choreographer in my husband who knows how to play the audience.

      Kath the Puppeteer

      On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Kaijugal . <kaijugal@...> wrote:

      > I realize this, (as I'm sure most of us here do),
      >
      > and I'm not looking for consistant answers, I just suddenly thought it
      > might
      >
      > be an interesting question to pose here so people can share thier own
      > particular interests,
      >
      > techniques, POV's, and pet peeves. :) i.e. What thrills you? What makes you
      > groan? etc.
      >
      > As for my panel, with any panel of this nature I pose it in a, "this is my
      > experiences and opinions,
      >
      > your mileage may vary", way. :)
      >
      > ~Dawn :)
      >
      > > To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com <ICG-D%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > From: kaytab@... <kaytab%40gmail.com>
      > > Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:08:01 -0800
      > > Subject: Re: [ICG-D] What judges look for - A question
      >

      > > I find that different judges have different ideas of what to look for,
      > > and different ideas of what they like to see. Different regions, even
      > > different cons (or the same con in different years), do it differently
      > > too. So my guess is that you won't get consistent answers from any
      > > two people except generally - good stuff should get awards and bad
      > > stuff shouldn't, in some judge's humble opinion.

    • Käthe Barrows
      Message 53 of 53 , Feb 11, 2010
        > Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to the "What the judges look for" thread.

        > Super reading, and neat to get into other people's headspace, thank you all! :)

        Looked like a good cross-section of people who'd been there and done
        that, some for decades.

        --
        Carolyn Kayta Barrows