File - netiquette-quoting.txt

  • ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 32 , May 1 7:41 AM
      Last update 11/13/2000 (minor edits)

      Quoting

      **** Do it ****

      Please quote or paraphrase the original message you are replying to.

      I often play "catch-up", reading a large number of messages in one
      sitting, but I still occasionally say "Huh?" to someone's one
      line reply to message posted days ago.

      Think about how confused someone who has hours or even days
      between reading messages can get.

      **** Don't do too much of it ****

      When you quote, please do some trimming.

      * Delete the list sig
      * Delete the persons sig
      * Delete details of an event you are commenting on
      * Trim down the original post to just what you are replying to.
      There is no need to quote 3 paragraphs of message,
      when you are addressing something in just one of them,
      or just to say: "I agree." or "Me too."

      **** Be clear about seperating your comments ****

      * Most of the time a blank line is sufficent.
      * If you wish to highlight your text, use a
      different character then your chosen
      quoting character.
      ie: Don't hightlight with ">" when
      the original is marked with ">" as well.

      Thanks
      John O'Halloran
      ICG Web/ListMaster
    • ICG-D@yahoogroups.com