[Fwd: Nov. 23, 1963: Doctor Who Materializes on BBC]

  • Jeanine Swick
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 23, 2009
      A nice bit of Dr Who history.

      Nov. 23, 1963: Doctor Who Materializes on BBC
      <http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/11/1123dr-who-debuts/>

      via This Day In Tech <http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech> by John Scott
      Lewinski on 11/22/09

      Dr Who

      *1963: *At 6:15 on a cold, wet night, the BBC premieres its new family
      science fiction show, /Doctor Who/, with its first episode, “An
      Unearthly Child.” The series will become a legendary part of modern
      British folklore and the longest-running sci-fi series on TV.

      Featuring a benevolent traveling alien known only as The Doctor, the
      series followed the adventures of the heroic Time Lord
      <http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/multimedia/2009/01/gallery_doctor_who>
      and his human companions through time and space.

      Originally developed by Canadian Sydney Newman, BBC’s head of drama, the
      day-to-day creation of the show’s first season fell to script department
      head Donald Wilson, BBC staff writers C. E. Webber and Anthony Coburn,
      story editor David Whitaker, and producer Verity Lambert. Fans of the
      show traditionally recognize Lambert as the show’s strongest creative
      force at the start.

      The stories took place in serial form — with each episode lasting about
      25 minutes, ending with a cliffhanger that would bring the audience back
      for the next segment.

      02chase2

      Ron Grainer (the composer for many TV themes, including The Prisoner)
      wrote the series’ unforgettable theme music with its driving bass beat.
      But experimental composer Delia Derbyshire of the BBC’s Radiophonic
      Workshop <http://www.wired.com/underwire/2008/07/lost-tapes-of-d/> is
      credited with choosing the eerie electronic sounds that created the
      final piece.

      The original brief for the character didn’t specify his origin (later
      identified as Gallifrey), his race or his actual age. Portrayed by
      veteran character actor William Hartnell, the first Doctor was a dark,
      often-hostile man of mystery.

      Viewers first encountered The Doctor’s ship, the Tardis (Time and
      Relative Dimensions in Space) in a junkyard as the Doctor headed out in
      London. The interior of the time-space traveling craft is dimensionally
      transcendental and exists in its own universe — allowing the ship to be
      bigger on the inside than its outer shell.

      A properly operating Tardis includes a chameleon circuit that changes
      its exterior appearance to blend in with the surroundings. But The
      Doctor’s ship malfunctions and remains stuck as a 1960s Metropolitan
      Police public call box.

      Because the show was originally intended for children, the creators cast
      an appealing, sympathetic actress, Carol Ann Ford, as The Doctor’s
      teenage granddaughter, Susan. When Ian Chesterton (William Russell) and
      Barbara Wright (Jacqueline Hill), two of Susan’s teachers, become
      concerned over the girl’s bizarre behavior, they stumble across The
      Doctor and Tardis. Once exposed, The Doctor insists on taking the two
      earthlings with him into time and space.

      But, a very real tragedy almost swept the show aside before any audience
      found it. The assassination of U.S. President John F. Kennedy
      <http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/11/dayintech_1122>
      on Nov. 22 dominated the news and public consciousness that weekend,
      obviously pushing the premiere of a new TV series off the British TV radar.

      BBC program planners decided to re-air the original premiere a week
      later, along with the series’ second episode. Doctor Who’s first
      storyline featured time travel back to caveman times and attracted a
      lukewarm public and critical reaction.

      But, the show’s second complete story — a sci-fi piece kicking off with
      “The Dead Planet” — featured a voyage to the home planet of the Daleks.
      The metallic monsters became an overnight sensation and established
      Doctor Who as a British institution.

      The series remained in production from 1963 to 1989. Producers invented
      the convention that The Doctor’s alien physique could regenerate into
      new forms 12 times — allowing new actors to seamlessly take over the
      part <http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/gallery-examine/> through
      the decades. After Hartnell came Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom
      Baker, Perter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann,
      Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant. And next year we’ll have Matt
      Smith <http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/bbc-announces-m/>.

      Doctor Who returned to regular BBC production under producer Russell T.
      Davies in March 2005 and remains one of the network’s top-rated series.

      /Photos: 1) Left to right: William Russell, Carol Ann Ford, William
      Hartnell and Jacqueline Hill made up the original/ Tardis /crew on
      /Doctor Who/.
      2) The Daleks surround the/ Tardis /in the ’60s /Doctor Who/.
      Images courtesy BBC/

      /Sources: BBC; Doctor Who: The Official Site; Doctor Who: The Classic
      Series Site/

      *See also:*

      * New Doctor Brings New /Doctor Who/ Logo, Insignia With Him
      <http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/10/new-doctor-brings-new-doctor-who-logo-insignia-with-him/>
      * Timeless Tom Baker Makes Return Trip to /Doctor Who/
      <http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/09/tom-baker-returns-to-doctor-who/>
      * Fans Reconstruct /Doctor Who/’s Trashed Past
      <http://www.wired.com/underwire/2008/09/who-recon/>
      * Moffat Leading /Doctor Who/ Into the Future
      <http://www.wired.com/underwire/2008/05/moffat-leading/>
      * Nov. 23, 1889: S.F. Gin Joint Hears the World’s First Jukebox
      <http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/11/dayintech_1123>
      * March 21, 1963: The Rock
      <http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/03/72941>
      * March 31, 1963: L.A. Streetcars Take Their Last Ride
      <http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/03/dayintech_0331>
      * June 20, 1963: Cuban Missile Crisis Spurs Moscow-D.C. ‘Hot Line’
      <http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/06/dayintech_0620>
      * July 19, 1963: Cracking the 100-Kilometer-High Barrier … in a
      Plane
      <http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/07/dayintech_0719>
      * Aug. 5, 1963: Finally, a Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
      <http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/08/dayintech_0805/>
      * Aug. 28, 1963: Road to Redmond Walks on Water
      <http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/08/dayintech_0828>
      * Nov. 9, 1963: Dual Disasters Stun Japan
      <http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/11/1109japan-mine-train-accidents/>

      Things you can do from here:

      * Subscribe to This Day In Tech
      <http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wired.com%2Fthisdayintech%2Ffeed%2F?source=email>
      using *Google Reader*
      * Get started using Google Reader
      <http://www.google.com/reader/?source=email> to easily keep up
      with *all your favorite sites*

    • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2009
          I just saw the recent episode "Waters of Mars." Oh, that was creepy!

          Toni

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 23, 2009
            The show has hired a toddler to play the new Doctor. Matt Smith looks
            like he's seventeen at the oldest. After having two handsome, edgy men
            playing the Gallifreyan, we get Frodo Baggins. Now, having said that, I
            really hope Matt Smith does well in the role. I really like Doctor Who
            and I want to see it continue.

            Toni

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 23, 2009
              Still it's consistent with the trend. Every time the doctor regenerates, he
              seems to get a little younger. Maybe Time Lords are like Benjamin Button
              and age in reverse?

              Randall

              Smith <_http://www.wired.http://www.wirhttp://www.whttp://wwwht_
              (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/bbc-announces-m/)
              <_http://www.wired.http://www.wirhttp://www.whttp://wwwht_
              (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/bbc-announces-m/) >
              <_http://www.wired.http://www.wirhttp://www.whttp://wwwht_
              (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/bbc-announces-m/)
              <_http://www.wired.http://www.wirhttp://www.whttp://wwwht_
              (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/bbc-announces-m/) > > >.

            • Bruno
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23, 2009
                I think he could just as easily been cast in Twilight.

                Bruno

                Quoting randwhit@...:

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 24, 2009
                  At 01:29 PM 11/23/2009, you wrote:

                  It is unfortunate that there are no known copies
                  of some of the early episodes. No one at the BBC thought to preserve the film.

                  Pierre

                  >A nice bit of Dr Who history.
                  >
                  >Nov. 23, 1963: Doctor Who Materializes on BBC
                  ><<http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/11/1123dr-who-debuts/>http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/11/1123dr-who-debuts/>
                  >
                  >via This Day In Tech
                  ><<http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech>http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech>
                  >by John Scott
                  >Lewinski on 11/22/09
                  >
                  >Dr Who
                  >
                  >*1963: *At 6:15 on a cold, wet night, the BBC premieres its new family
                  >science fiction show, /Doctor Who/, with its first episode, “An
                  >Unearthly Child.” The series will become a legendary part of modern
                  >British folklore and the longest-running sci-fi series on TV.
                  >
                  >Featuring a benevolent traveling alien known only as The Doctor, the
                  >series followed the adventures of the heroic Time Lord
                  ><<http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/multimedia/2009/01/gallery_doctor_who>http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/multimedia/2009/01/gallery_doctor_who>
                  >
                  >and his human companions through time and space.
                  >
                  >Originally developed by Canadian Sydney Newman, BBC’s head of drama, the
                  >day-to-day creation of the show’s first season fell to script department
                  >head Donald Wilson, BBC staff writers C. E. Webber and Anthony Coburn,
                  >story editor David Whitaker, and producer Verity Lambert. Fans of the
                  >show traditionally recognize Lambert as the show’s strongest creative
                  >force at the start.
                  >
                  >The stories took place in serial form — with each episode lasting aabout
                  >25 minutes, ending with a cliffhanger that would bring the audience back
                  >for the next segment.

                  "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                  Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                  -- C. Y. 4971

                  Andromeda
                • Steve Swope
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 26, 2009
                    <geek>
                    It's worse than that; at one point, the BBC were actively purging
                    their archives of old black-and-white programs they thought no one
                    would ever be interested in again (Doctor Who was not the only
                    casualty). The surviving episodes were mostly recovered from
                    overseas markets where the purges hadn't occurred.

                    <ubergeek>
                    As an aside, It also resulted in the loss of the color version
                    of Episode 1 of "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" (The first episode
                    carried the title "Invasion", to keep from spoiling the surprise
                    ending; "Invasion" happened to be the title of a Troughton episode
                    slated for purging.)
                    </ubergeek>

                    Rumours (sic) persist of a collector who has managed to "rescue"
                    the missing episodes.
                    </geek>

                    Steve Swope (aka phierma@...)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 28, 2009
                      At 03:41 AM 11/26/2009, you wrote:

                      ><geek>
                      >It's worse than that; at one point, the BBC were actively purging
                      >their archives of old black-and-white programs they thought no one
                      >would ever be interested in again (Doctor Who was not the only
                      >casualty). The surviving episodes were mostly recovered from
                      >overseas markets where the purges hadn't occurred.
                      >
                      ><ubergeek>
                      >As an aside, It also resulted in the loss of the color version
                      >of Episode 1 of "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" (The first episode
                      >carried the title "Invasion", to keep from spoiling the surprise
                      >ending; "Invasion" happened to be the title of a Troughton episode
                      >slated for purging.)
                      ></ubergeek>
                      >
                      >Rumours (sic) persist of a collector who has managed to "rescue"
                      >the missing episodes.
                      ></geek>

                      I hadn't heard that one. Lets hope they come forward at some point.

                      Pierre