Re: [ICG-D] my serger is driving me nuts

  • Jill Eastlake
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
      I had a similar problem when I first got my serger.

      1. If there's a video with the machine, watch it again.
      2. Take the machine to the store and have them go through the
      threading process with you until you get it.

      Jill

      On Nov 5, 2009, at 2:29 PM, fluffysoftkitty wrote:

      It's new and I have never owned one before, so I am probably doing
      something wrong but I can't figure out what. I'm hoping someone here
      can give me some ideas on how to solve this issue.

      They threaded it for me when I bought it. It does the basic 4-thread
      overlock just fine.

      I set it, very carefully, according to the booklet for the coverstitch
      (the one you use to hem t-shirts). Moved a bunch of switches
      rethreaded spool #4 according to directions. It does not use #3 for
      this stitch.

      When I sew it is not catching thread #4 on the bottom, the threads
      that go through the needles are just wrapping endlessly around the
      looper. Thread #4 pulls out of the eye it is threaded through in the
      tip of the looper and does nothing unless I hold onto it.

      If I hold it and pull it with the fabric I can sometimes get it to do
      the stitch but the tension on the bottom is extremely loose and it
      still skips stitches. If I adjust the tension for thread #4 and sew it
      jams.

      I've been messing with it for two days now and am at a complete loss
      as to what to do. I am planning to take classes on the machine, but I
      bought it from the shop the day after they received it (brand new
      Huskylock s21) so their teacher hasn't learned it yet and class
      schedules have not been set up yet.

      I'm sure I'm missing something very basic, and I'd appreciate any help
      anyone has to offer.

      Dawn
    • Andrew T Trembley
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
        On Nov 5, 2009, at 11:29 AM, fluffysoftkitty wrote:
        > When I sew it is not catching thread #4 on the bottom, the threads
        > that go through the needles are just wrapping endlessly around the
        > looper. Thread #4 pulls out of the eye it is threaded through in the
        > tip of the looper and does nothing unless I hold onto it.

        Cover hem is weird. Really weird.

        On my serger, I have to thread the cover hem looper and leave a long-
        ish tail inside the machine. Then I thread the needles. Then I put a
        scrap of fabric on the machine and start sewing in the middle of it.
        Magically, the needles pick up the stray tail and it starts stitching/
        chaining. Once there, I can chain off the edge of the fabric for a
        bit, but it's still kind of tricky.

        I would take it back into the store, though, and see if the tech can
        get it to work. If he/she can't, there's something wrong.

        andy
      • Charles Galway
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
          I also was working with my first serger this summer. And it had similar problems, and of course I checked the threading, and it all looked good to me. It even picked up the loop sometimes, and not other times, while running a sewing test.

          But I took all the threads out, and then carefully rethreaded it, following the directions. It turns out on one of the bottom threadings, the thread could go something like "over, instead of under" a bar. Any other mistake would have been easily seen, but not this one. By rethreading correctly, it now works.

          Charles

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
            I must be really lucky. I got my serger at Goodwill with no
            instructions other than the thread guide picture on the inside of the
            door that opens so you can get at the loopers (?). I threaded it up
            per the guide and it worked like a charm. Good tension and all. It
            was by no means easy to thread. All sorts of holes and threads to go
            through, took some figuring out.

            Bruno