Re: Head Cast

  • rookwoods
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
      If you can wait until after CC27, Raven (one of our vendors) will be doing a workshop and also selling some of his products. He does a lot of professional casting. He'd be able to tell you anything you need to know. It's only a month away <yikes!>

      -Judy Mitchell

      -- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "jayenks" <auroraceleste@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of a good website that gives a great overview of alginate casting a head? Specifically, how much stuff to use? We'd like to do some head and body part casts, but we're not sure how much alginate to order, or plaster bandages to get, in order to have enough. Book references would be nice, too, if there's no websites that are good.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Aurora Celeste

    • Aurora Celeste
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
        Unfortunately, no, it's for a school project due a week after CC. Can you
        perhaps put me in contact with him, so I can ask and order my stuff in one
        go?

        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:55 AM, rookwoods <judymitch@...> wrote:

        > If you can wait until after CC27, Raven (one of our vendors) will be doing
        > a workshop and also selling some of his products. He does a lot of
        > professional casting. He'd be able to tell you anything you need to know.
        > It's only a month away <yikes!>
        >
        > -Judy Mitchell
        >
        > -- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "jayenks" <auroraceleste@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone know of a good website that gives a great overview of
        > alginate casting a head? Specifically, how much stuff to use? We'd like to
        > do some head and body part casts, but we're not sure how much alginate to
        > order, or plaster bandages to get, in order to have enough. Book references
        > would be nice, too, if there's no websites that are good.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Aurora Celeste

      • Andrew T Trembley
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
          On Mar 31, 2009, at 8:57 PM, jayenks wrote:

          > Does anyone know of a good website that gives a great overview of
          > alginate casting a head? Specifically, how much stuff to use? We'd
          > like to do some head and body part casts, but we're not sure how
          > much alginate to order, or plaster bandages to get, in order to have
          > enough. Book references would be nice, too, if there's no websites
          > that are good.

          Just get a bucket of moulage. It's more than you will need, but it
          doesn't require mixing like alginate does. It just requires mild
          heating to liquefy it. It does require reinforcement, when it sets
          it's more flexible than alginate.

          andy
        • rookwoods
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
            --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Aurora Celeste <auroraceleste@...> wrote:

            > Unfortunately, no, it's for a school project due a week after CC. Can you
            > perhaps put me in contact with him, so I can ask and order my stuff in one
            > go?

            I'll see if I can get his website for you. Unfortunately the note I had saved is on a different computer, so I don't have it handy.

            -Judy
          • ARD
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
              Have you looked on youtube.com for 'head casting'? I don't know if you
              can find the detail you want, but people put all kinds of demos on
              youtube. I think Rob Burman has a few make-up demos there, so searching
              on his name might get you something useful.

              ICG-D@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              > 3. Head Cast
              > Posted by: "jayenks" auroraceleste@... jayenks
              > Date: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm ((PDT))
              >
              > Does anyone know of a good website that gives a great overview of alginate casting a head? Specifically, how much stuff to use? We'd like to do some head and body part casts, but we're not sure how much alginate to order, or plaster bandages to get, in order to have enough. Book references would be nice, too, if there's no websites that are good.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Aurora Celeste

              The United States is a secular nation.
              -- Anne Davenport kjaneway@...
            • CC2010Milw@cs.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                Aurora,
                Ironically, a housemate of mine has done that sort of thing. When I
                see him Thursday, I'll ask him.

                Henry W. Osier
                Chairman, Costume-Con 28
                May 7 to May 10, 2010
                www.CC28.org

              • Sheril Harper
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                  Aurora,

                  Take a look at this page:
                  http://www.accu-cast.us/proc_head.html
                  We did some head casts several years ago for a costume grouping. We got the alginate from a local dental supply and the plaster from a local medical supplier. Think we used 4 rolls of the guaze per head. The most difficult part was getting the guys to breathe through their noses (using straws) after the alginate and bandages were applied

                  Best of luck on your project

                  Sheril

                  sherilhrn@...
                  http://www.myspace.com/sherilharper

                  "Save the Cheerleader, save the world"---Heroes

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 3, 2009
                    I second what Andy said. Plus, you can scrape it out after making the
                    cast, save it in a sealed plastic bag and reuse it.

                    Marty

                    Andrew T Trembley wrote:

                    > On Mar 31, 2009, at 8:57 PM, jayenks wrote:
                    >
                    > > Does anyone know of a good website that gives a great overview of
                    > > alginate casting a head? Specifically, how much stuff to use? We'd
                    > > like to do some head and body part casts, but we're not sure how
                    > > much alginate to order, or plaster bandages to get, in order to have
                    > > enough. Book references would be nice, too, if there's no websites
                    > > that are good.
                    >
                    > Just get a bucket of moulage. It's more than you will need, but it
                    > doesn't require mixing like alginate does. It just requires mild
                    > heating to liquefy it. It does require reinforcement, when it sets
                    > it's more flexible than alginate.
                    >
                    > andy

                  • Andrew T Trembley
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 3, 2009
                      On Apr 3, 2009, at 11:59 AM, Martin Gear wrote:

                      > I second what Andy said. Plus, you can scrape it out after making the
                      > cast, save it in a sealed plastic bag and reuse it.

                      Oh, I forgot one other useful substitution...

                      Don't use plaster-of-paris. Get "dental stone" or "castone" instead.
                      If you're going to have to bake your positive, it's much more heat-
                      resistant than plaster-of-paris.

                      andy
                    • Signe
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 3, 2009
                        I also recommend Techniques of 3-Dimensional Makeup by Lee Baygan. It has very detailed instructions and pictures. Check it out first, so that you know what you are getting into.

                        If you are going to use alginate, I recommend Jeltrate Regular set. Make sure you ask for a measuring scoop and water measure, because they don't always come with the alginate. (Tip) You can use ice water, instead of room temperature water to give yourself more working time.

                        As to what type of plaster to use, the terminology can be kind of confusing. The major difference between plaster of paris and the types of plaster used to pour up dental models is the water to powder ratio. Plaster of paris has a w/p ratio of 50ml water/100gm powder. Whereas dental stone has a w/p ratio of about 30ml water/100gm powder. The less water you need, the stronger the plaster. So you want to use a product with a w/p ratio of 28-30ml water/100gm powder with a compressive strength after 1hour of 4,500 psi and a 24hour compressive strength of 8,000 psi. (Tip) Although you can separate the plaster model from the alginate impression after about 1.5 - 2 hours, it's better to wait 24 hours before making anything on your plaster model, because the compressive strength almost doubles over that time.

                        I've used Modern Materials Denstone(Heraeus Kulzer), but there are other good brands out there. Make sure you get "Regular Set". You can get Denstone in white or yellow. Orthodontists like white, because the models look pretty when they are presenting the case and price tag to the patient. Dental lab technicians prefer yellow or buff color, because it's a lot easier on the eyes, particularly when you are working under high intensity lights. It also contrasts nicely with the white plaster used for the mold of the denture or facial prosthesis.

                        You can check out prices at darbydental.com and henryscheindental.com

                        Hope this helps,
                        Signe
                      • CC2010Milw@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 4, 2009
                          Ok, this is what my housemate told me:

                          3 cans of the alginate stuff.

                          You will need to support the mold from the out side and plaster tape (?) is
                          about the best bet.

                          And support the ears or they get mooshed down.

                          Aurora,
                          If you want, I can get you in direct contact with him via e-mail.

                          Henry W. Osier
                          Chairman, Costume-Con 28
                          May 7 to May 10, 2010
                          www.CC28.org

                        • Signe
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 6, 2009
                            Yikes! That's a whole lot of alginate. 1 can is 1 pound or 454 grams. According to 3 Dimensional Makeup by Lee Baygan it takes 210 grams of alginate powder to make a life mask. So 1 can of alginate should be more than enough. Keep in mind that you are only covering the front half of the head with alginate and it just has to be thick enough to cover the skin surface. 1 can of Jeltrate alginate is about $15 from dental suppliers, like Darby Dental and Henry Schein Dental.

                            I went to the Accu-Cast site recommended by Sheril, http://www.accu-cast.us/proc_head.html, which is a really great site - thanks for sharing. They recommend 2 to 3 pounds of alginate for a life mask, which is in line with what your housemate recommended, but then again, they are in the business of selling alginate. Their alginate products are about half the price of the alginate sold by dental suppliers. So although I like Jeltrate brand alginate, if I were doing a life mask, I would give Accu-Casts' alginate a try.

                            Signe

                            > Ok, this is what my housemate told me:
                            >
                            > 3 cans of the alginate stuff.
                            >
                            > You will need to support the mold from the out side and plaster tape (?) is
                            > about the best bet.
                            >
                            > And support the ears or they get mooshed down.
                            >
                            > Aurora,
                            > If you want, I can get you in direct contact with him via e-mail.
                            >
                            > Henry W. Osier
                            > Chairman, Costume-Con 28
                            > May 7 to May 10, 2010
                            > www.CC28.org

                          • Deech
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 11, 2009
                              That's true. It may only take 210 grams to cover the face.

                              However, I can promise that the odds of you getting it right the first
                              time are slim, so buy extra.
                              Your technique isn't going to be very tight, thus you'll be sloppy
                              with the alginate... so buy extra.
                              You won't get the mix right the first time, due to many factors.. so buy extra.

                              Alginate is not a forgiving substance to work with. Several things
                              come into play to determine how long you have to work with it before
                              it sets up. Heat, humidity, water temp, how new or old the alginate
                              is, how well it's been kept.
                              And, even if you meticulously make sure all those variables are right,
                              it may still dry to fast or too slow, just to let you know who's in
                              charge here.

                              2-3 pounds of alginate is what I've experienced, by the way. You can't
                              just mix a little and make some more later if you start to run out, it
                              won't all dry at the same time and leave ugly lines in the cast.
                              So, do you want to risk running out and wasting all the money you just
                              spent, or spend the extra few bucks for another pound to make sure
                              it's not all a big waste of time and money when you run out just sort
                              of enough to finish.. :)

                              If you end up with extra, just pour it into a can that you just
                              happened to have sitting nearby and stick someone's hand in it. It's a
                              fun "bonus cast" when you do your pour later.

                              -Deech

                              On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Signe <recycledvalkyrie@...> wrote:
                              > Yikes! That's a whole lot of alginate. 1 can is 1 pound or 454 grams.
                              > According to 3 Dimensional Makeup by Lee Baygan it takes 210 grams of
                              > alginate powder to make a life mask. So 1 can of alginate should be more
                              > than enough. Keep in mind that you are only covering the front half of the
                              > head with alginate and it just has to be thick enough to cover the skin
                              > surface. 1 can of Jeltrate alginate is about $15 from dental suppliers, like
                              > Darby Dental and Henry Schein Dental.
                              >
                              > I went to the Accu-Cast site recommended by Sheril,
                              > http://www.accu-cast.us/proc_head.html, which is a really great site -
                              > thanks for sharing. They recommend 2 to 3 pounds of alginate for a life
                              > mask, which is in line with what your housemate recommended, but then again,
                              > they are in the business of selling alginate. Their alginate products are
                              > about half the price of the alginate sold by dental suppliers. So although I
                              > like Jeltrate brand alginate, if I were doing a life mask, I would give
                              > Accu-Casts' alginate a try.
                              >
                              > Signe
                              >

                              >> Ok, this is what my housemate told me:
                              >>
                              >> 3 cans of the alginate stuff.
                              >>
                              >> You will need to support the mold from the out side and plaster tape (?)
                              >> is
                              >> about the best bet.
                              >>
                              >> And support the ears or they get mooshed down.
                              >>
                              >> Aurora,
                              >> If you want, I can get you in direct contact with him via e-mail.
                              >>
                              >> Henry W. Osier
                              >> Chairman, Costume-Con 28
                              >> May 7 to May 10, 2010
                              >> www.CC28.org

                            • Lisa A Ashton
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 11, 2009
                                Not that you've done this before or anything.

                                Yours in costuming Lisa A>

                              • Deech
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 12, 2009
                                  If by "this" you mean screw up several head casts before figuring it
                                  out".. yes. I have. :)

                                  My mistakes:

                                  Mix the water too hot: Check.
                                  Mix the water too cold: check.
                                  Get alginate in the models nose so they couldn't breath and had to rip
                                  the mask off: Check
                                  Not put enough support around the nose so it ended up flat after the pour: check
                                  Not make enough alginate and run out right at the end: Check
                                  Not get enough release on the model's eyebrows, so there
                                  was.."pulling".. : Check
                                  discovering the previous mistake in conjunction with the "alginate in
                                  the nose" issue: Check
                                  Generally making a giant, $50 mess for no good purpose: Check

                                  :)

                                  I'm like Obi Wan, teaching you how not to face Darth Vader by getting
                                  myself cut in half.

                                  -Deech

                                  On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Lisa A Ashton <lisa58@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  >> > head with alginate and it just has to be thick enough to cover the
                                  >> skin
                                  >> > surface. 1 can of Jeltrate alginate is about $15 from dental
                                  >> suppliers, like
                                  >> > Darby Dental and Henry Schein Dental.
                                  >> >
                                  >> > I went to the Accu-Cast site recommended by Sheril,
                                  >> > http://www.accu-cast.us/proc_head.html, which is a really great
                                  >> site -
                                  >> > thanks for sharing. They recommend 2 to 3 pounds of alginate for a
                                  >> life
                                  >> > mask, which is in line with what your housemate recommended, but
                                  >> then again,
                                  >> > they are in the business of selling alginate. Their alginate
                                  >> products are
                                  >> > about half the price of the alginate sold by dental suppliers. So
                                  >> although I
                                  >> > like Jeltrate brand alginate, if I were doing a life mask, I would

                                • Signe
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 12, 2009
                                    --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Deech <deech@...> wrote:

                                    > That's true. It may only take 210 grams to cover the face.
                                    >
                                    > However, I can promise that the odds of you getting it right the first
                                    > time are slim, so buy extra.
                                    > Your technique isn't going to be very tight, thus you'll be sloppy
                                    > with the alginate... so buy extra.
                                    > You won't get the mix right the first time, due to many factors.. so buy extra.

                                    You make some very good points. I work with alginate for a living, so I've already been through the learning curve. You should practice with some small batches first, just to see how much working time you have and develop your mixing technique. I recommend putting the water in the mixing bowl first, then adding the powder.(The same goes for mixing plaster) Make sure you use "Regular Set" not "Fast Set" alginate. To increase working time, use refrigerated water. You have to get everything covered with one batch, so you will need the extra working time. You might want to skip the ears, because they will take extra alginate and extra time.

                                    I mix by hand, using a large flexible rubber bowl and a beaver tail shaped spatula. In Making a Monster - Al Taylor & Sue Roy, there is a photo of John Chambers (Planet of the Apes) mixing alginate in a round plastic dish pan with an little electric eggbeater. He's got a cigarette dangling from his mouth as he's mixing the alginate, so I guess a little cigarette ash does not significantly affect the properties of alginate.

                                    Don't ever pour alginate or plaster down your sink drain, unless you want to spend some quality time with your plumber. Wait until these materials set, then scoop out the remainder left in the bowl and put it in the regular trash. If you use a flexible rubber bowl for mixing the plaster, it will pop right out when you squeeze the bowl.

                                    Good Luck,
                                    Signe
                                  • Andrew T Trembley
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 12, 2009
                                      Deech wrote:
                                      > If by "this" you mean screw up several head casts before figuring it
                                      > out".. yes. I have. :)
                                      >
                                      > My mistakes:
                                      >
                                      > Mix the water too hot: Check.
                                      > Mix the water too cold: check.
                                      > Get alginate in the models nose so they couldn't breath and had to rip
                                      > the mask off: Check
                                      > Not put enough support around the nose so it ended up flat after the pour: check
                                      > Not make enough alginate and run out right at the end: Check
                                      > Not get enough release on the model's eyebrows, so there
                                      > was.."pulling".. : Check
                                      > discovering the previous mistake in conjunction with the "alginate in
                                      > the nose" issue: Check
                                      > Generally making a giant, $50 mess for no good purpose: Check

                                      This is why I advocate using moulage instead. It's a jelly, warm it in a
                                      double-boiler or a slow-cooker enough to liquefy it and it's ready to
                                      use. No mixing to screw up. If you liquefy too little, just warm up a
                                      little more (assuming the subject is relaxed and isn't suffocating or
                                      going claustrophobic). If you liquefy too much you just put the extra
                                      back in the bucket, let it set and re-melt it the next time you need it.

                                      andy
                                    • Martin Gear
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 12, 2009
                                        Andy -
                                        You might want to give people a pointer to the moulage that you are
                                        talking about. I haven't used the stuff in about 15 years, and in fact
                                        the people that I got it from are no longer in business, but when I
                                        googled "moulage" pretty much all I got were trauma kits. I don't think
                                        that's what Aurora has in mind ;-) .
                                        Marty

                                        Andrew T Trembley wrote:

                                        > Deech wrote:
                                        > > If by "this" you mean screw up several head casts before figuring it
                                        > > out".. yes. I have. :)
                                        > >
                                        > > My mistakes:
                                        > >
                                        > > Mix the water too hot: Check.
                                        > > Mix the water too cold: check.
                                        > > Get alginate in the models nose so they couldn't breath and had to rip
                                        > > the mask off: Check
                                        > > Not put enough support around the nose so it ended up flat after the
                                        > pour: check
                                        > > Not make enough alginate and run out right at the end: Check
                                        > > Not get enough release on the model's eyebrows, so there
                                        > > was.."pulling".. : Check
                                        > > discovering the previous mistake in conjunction with the "alginate in
                                        > > the nose" issue: Check
                                        > > Generally making a giant, $50 mess for no good purpose: Check
                                        > >
                                        > This is why I advocate using moulage instead. It's a jelly, warm it in a
                                        > double-boiler or a slow-cooker enough to liquefy it and it's ready to
                                        > use. No mixing to screw up. If you liquefy too little, just warm up a
                                        > little more (assuming the subject is relaxed and isn't suffocating or
                                        > going claustrophobic). If you liquefy too much you just put the extra
                                        > back in the bucket, let it set and re-melt it the next time you need it.
                                        >
                                        > andy

                                      • Andrew T Trembley
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 12, 2009
                                          Martin Gear wrote:
                                          > Andy -
                                          > You might want to give people a pointer to the moulage that you are
                                          > talking about. I haven't used the stuff in about 15 years, and in fact
                                          > the people that I got it from are no longer in business, but when I
                                          > googled "moulage" pretty much all I got were trauma kits. I don't think
                                          > that's what Aurora has in mind ;-) .

                                          5th hit on Google for "Moulage:"
                                          <http://www.artmolds.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=176&page=0&cat_name=Alginate>

                                          It's not the same brand I used to buy, but it's the same technique.

                                          There's also hit # 11:

                                          <http://www.dickblick.com/products/moulage-and-posmoulage-materials/>
                                          That bucket looks familiar. I've not tried the hardener they describe,
                                          but it sounds really tempting.

                                          andy
                                        • Martin Gear
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 12, 2009
                                            Andy -
                                            Thank you. Plastico is the brand that I used to use. Funny the first
                                            time I googled on "moulage" neither of those sites came up on the first
                                            page. This time they appeared in the order you gave. I've used both
                                            the Plastico Moulage and Post Moulage, but not the hardener. I'll have
                                            to order some of the materials and play after CC-27.
                                            Marty

                                            Andrew T Trembley wrote:

                                            > Martin Gear wrote:
                                            > > Andy -
                                            > > You might want to give people a pointer to the moulage that you are
                                            > > talking about. I haven't used the stuff in about 15 years, and in fact
                                            > > the people that I got it from are no longer in business, but when I
                                            > > googled "moulage" pretty much all I got were trauma kits. I don't think
                                            > > that's what Aurora has in mind ;-) .
                                            >
                                            > 5th hit on Google for "Moulage:"
                                            > <http://www.artmolds.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=176&page=0&cat_name=Alginate
                                            > <http://www.artmolds.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=176&page=0&cat_name=Alginate>>
                                            >
                                            > It's not the same brand I used to buy, but it's the same technique.
                                            >
                                            > There's also hit # 11:
                                            >
                                            > <http://www.dickblick.com/products/moulage-and-posmoulage-materials/
                                            > <http://www.dickblick.com/products/moulage-and-posmoulage-materials/>>
                                            > That bucket looks familiar. I've not tried the hardener they describe,
                                            > but it sounds really tempting.
                                            >
                                            > andy

                                          • Ricky & Karen Dick
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 12, 2009
                                              Likewise, do not breathe in while making an alginate casting of your nose, or you will spend time in the Emergency Room having a really intricate cast of your sinuses removed.

                                              I didn't do this one personally, but a clown friend did. NOT a fun time.

                                              --Karen

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 13, 2009
                                                --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky & Karen Dick" <castleb@...> wrote:

                                                > Likewise, do not breathe in while making an alginate casting of your nose, or you will spend time in the Emergency Room having a really intricate cast of your sinuses removed.
                                                >
                                                > I didn't do this one personally, but a clown friend did. NOT a fun time.

                                                Some people like to put straws in the nostrils. But if you get alginate in the straw openings, then they are not going to be that useful. If your subject starts to experience any trouble breathing, you have to be prepared to rip off all your impression material and start from square one.

                                                Signe
                                              • James Hales
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 17, 2009
                                                  In case you haven't found anything yet, www.instructables.com is an amazing website that tons of "how-to's" and may have something on head casting.

                                                  ~Ian

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  ICG-D@yahoogroups. com wrote:
                                                  > 3. Head Cast
                                                  > Posted by: "jayenks" auroraceleste@ gmail.com jayenks
                                                  > Date: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm ((PDT))
                                                  >
                                                  > Does anyone know of a good website that gives a great overview of alginate casting a head? Specifically, how much stuff to use? We'd like to do some head and body part casts, but we're not sure how much alginate to order, or plaster bandages to get, in order to have enough. Book references would be nice, too, if there's no websites that are good.
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks,
                                                  >
                                                  > Aurora Celeste

                                                  The United States is a secular nation.
                                                  -- Anne Davenport kjaneway@earthlink. net