Ackerman estate puts his collection up for auction

  • von_drago
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 4, 2009
    • Julie Zetterberg
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 5, 2009
        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "von_drago" <von_drago@...> wrote:

        http://www.newsmax.com/entertainment/ackerman_memorabilia/2009/02/04/178
        > 403.html

        SF fans who live in Seattle love it when we hear about these
        memorabilia auctions.

        --Julie
      • Barb Schofield
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 5, 2009
          The Basics of Corset Building: A Handbook for Beginners
           by Linda Sparks

          http://www.amazon.com/Basics-Corset-Building-Handbook-Beginners/dp/0312535732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233900965&sr=1-1

          Has anyone seen or bought this book, and what did you think of it?

          Barb

        • Bruce & Nora Mai
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
            Yeah, I have it. It's got lots of good pictures (not illustrations), is a
            nice larger size, hardboard cover, not unreasonable price.
            I haven't actually had time to read it yet but a thumbing through looked
            good.

            Nora

          • Aurora Celeste
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
              Great for the basics. Very thorough. It's all information I picked up from
              the internet, but I'd have to give you about a month's worth of reading to
              find it all, so it's a great source of all the bare bones in one place.

              On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Barb Schofield <wilberforcebarb@...>wrote:

              > The Basics of Corset Building: A Handbook for Beginners
              > by Linda Sparks
              >

              > http://www.amazon.com/Basics-Corset-Building-Handbook-Beginners/dp/0312535732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233900965&sr=1-1
              >
              > Has anyone seen or bought this book, and what did you think of it?
              >
              > Barb

            • Lay, Toni
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                WOW. Sounds like my kind of book. I'll be getting it from Devra at
                Lunacon.

                Toni

                ________________________________

                <wilberforcebarb@... <mailto:wilberforcebarb%40yahoo.ca> >wrote:

                > The Basics of Corset Building: A Handbook for Beginners
                > by Linda Sparks

                http://www.amazon.com/Basics-Corset-Building-Handbook-Beginners/dp/03125
                35732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233900965&sr=1-1
                <http://www.amazon.com/Basics-Corset-Building-Handbook-Beginners/dp/0312
                535732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233900965&sr=1-1>

                > Has anyone seen or bought this book, and what did you think of it?
                >
                > Barb

              • Angharad ver' Reynulf
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                  I picked up a copy for myself 2 years ago at the Puyallup Sewing Expo when Linda was there with Vogue Fabrics.  I'll agree with the basic usage, but it's been helpful for several folks in my local sewing group while working on corsetry.
                   JonnaLyhn Wolfcat
                  aka Angharad verch Reynulf, BAO, An Tir

                • Ricky & Karen Dick
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                    But HOW SAD that Uncle Forry's collection is being auctioned off piecemeal instead of being kept together, preserved, and donated to a museum.

                    Like, oh, say, that Science Fiction Museum in Seattle.

                    And how sad that some of Forry's biggest and most monied fans (Like Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, and John Landis) cannot cough up the $$$$$$ between them to make a museum donation happen for Forry's collection. These are all the folks who have said repeatedly that Forry's Famous Monsters Magazine inspired them as kids and set their feet on the path to their fabulous careers.

                    *sigh*

                    --Karen (proud to be one of "Forry's Kids")

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                      Reviews of this book on Amazon.com are lukewarm.

                      People are complaining about lack of different sizes of the patterns and lack of patterns for all items shown.

                      I'm hoping I can find a copy at my local B&N or Borders that I can actually flip through before I buy.

                      --Karen

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                        Well, it'll be a few months, but I'll make a note to bring mine to CC so
                        anyone on the fence can look at it.

                        Another interesting new book:

                        Corsets: Historical Patterns & Techniques by Jill
                        Salen<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Jill%20Salen>

                        I got these two books at the same time, and this was by far the better buy
                        for someone who's made a few corsets already. It's kinda like an extension
                        of Corsets and Crinolines, with tons of patterns of historical garments
                        (done in the C&C style, so with all the drawbacks of having to scale up,
                        then size, etc). Still nice for historical stuff.

                        Perhaps there could be a "book showoff" panel at Costume Con? I'd love to
                        see what people treasure in their own libraries and show off a few books in
                        mine :D

                        ~Aurora

                        On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Ricky & Karen Dick
                        <castleb@...>wrote:

                        > Reviews of this book on Amazon.com are lukewarm.
                        >
                        > People are complaining about lack of different sizes of the patterns and
                        > lack of patterns for all items shown.
                        >
                        > I'm hoping I can find a copy at my local B&N or Borders that I can actually
                        > flip through before I buy.
                        >
                        > --Karen

                      • MD Smith
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                          Devra Langsam of Poison Pen Press will have copies for thumbing and
                          purchasing at Costume Con. I don¹t keep up with her calendar, so other than
                          Lunacon, I do not know what events she¹ll attend between now and CC.

                          Hope this helps,

                          MD Smith
                          Happy costumer customer

                        • Dany
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                            I have it, and I kind of agree with Aurora's sentiment.a lot of things that
                            you'd keep in a folder of links together in a book for reference. I could
                            see some folks consider it a touch elementary, but if anything, those are
                            the kinds of books I want to keep on hand in case I forget how to do
                            something or if I need to remind myself of the 'proper approaches' to
                            things.

                            Dany

                            -hearts her elementary library XD

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                              It is a shame. The collection as a whole is worth a lot more than adding up the value of its parts. It belongs in a museum or archive intact.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                                That would be a fun panel!

                                Byron the Bookaholic

                                Salen<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Jill%20Salen<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Jill%20Salen>>

                                <castleb@...<mailto:castleb%40atlanticbb.net>>wrote:

                                > Reviews of this book on Amazon.com are lukewarm.
                                >
                                > People are complaining about lack of different sizes of the patterns and
                                > lack of patterns for all items shown.
                                >
                                > I'm hoping I can find a copy at my local B&N or Borders that I can actually
                                > flip through before I buy.
                                >
                                > --Karen

                              • Signe
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                                  The complete Forrest Ackerman collection is no longer intact. Bits and
                                  pieces of it have been sold over the past few years. One of the
                                  obituaries I read (LA Times?) mentioned that Ackerman had sold several
                                  items to help pay for living and medical expenses.

                                  Back in May 2006, my sister, through her connections, got a pair of
                                  tickets to a screening of a documentary about Forrey Ackerman called
                                  "Sci-Fi Boys". After the screening, the audience had the opportunity
                                  to ask the film makers questions. I asked what had happened to plans
                                  to create a Science Fiction Museum in the LA area, with the Akerman
                                  collection as its basis. The director replied that sadly many of the
                                  pieces had been sold off and the collection was no longer intact.

                                  I checked Amazon and they have Sci-Fi Boys. The documentary is about
                                  Ackerman's Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine and the film makers
                                  who were inspired by it. Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and Rick
                                  Baker are among the film makers interviewed, along with Ray
                                  Harryhausen and Roger Corman. In the film, you could see that Ackerman
                                  was physically frail. I'm speculating that if Spielberg and others
                                  were aware of his physical and financial situation back in 2005, they
                                  may have already bought a lot of the collection.

                                  Signe

                                  "von_drago" <von_drago@> wrote:

                                  http://www.newsmax.com/entertainment/ackerman_memorabilia/2009/02/04/178<http://www.newsmax.com/entertainment/ackerman_memorabilia/2009/02/04/178>
                                  > > 403.html
                                  > >

                                  > SF fans who live in Seattle love it when we hear about these
                                  > memorabilia auctions.
                                  >
                                  > --Julie

                                • Julie Zetterberg
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 9, 2009
                                    --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Signe" <recycledvalkyrie@...> wrote:

                                    > The complete Forrest Ackerman collection is no longer intact. Bits and
                                    > pieces of it have been sold over the past few years. One of the
                                    > obituaries I read (LA Times?) mentioned that Ackerman had sold several
                                    > items to help pay for living and medical expenses.

                                    As I hinted at in my earlier message, Paul Allen will undoubtedly bid
                                    on much of this collection, guaranteed. And yes, many of Forry's items
                                    are already on display in the SFM here in Seattle, properly attributed
                                    as coming from his collection, and probably from these earlier sales.

                                    All the artifacts in SFM are treated with respect, and the more fragile
                                    pieces are rotated out of display on a regular schedule to keep them as
                                    intact as possible.

                                    --Julie ZS
                                  • Barb Schofield
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 9, 2009
                                      Thanks to everyone for the corset book reviews.  I have a chance to buy some of these at a "Buy one get one free" sale and plan to get some for prizes.

                                      Barb

                                    • Linda Peterson
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 10, 2009
                                        Really, Forrie didn't own everything collectible in SF. So to say that his
                                        collection is no longer intact is just silly. It may not be quite as large
                                        as it was a few years ago, but it's still a remarkable and irreplacable
                                        collection. In historical terms the numbers of individually less valuable
                                        items are probably more important than what was sold already.
                                        Linda ;)
                                        mirhaxa@...

                                        >> The complete Forrest Ackerman collection is no longer intact. Bits and
                                        >> pieces of it have been sold over the past few years. One of the
                                        >> obituaries I read (LA Times?) mentioned that Ackerman had sold several
                                        >> items to help pay for living and medical expenses.

                                      • Dana MacDermott
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 10, 2009
                                          Many years ago, in fact, before I met Bruce, he spent a summer working on
                                          Forry's house. He slept on a couch in the basement space surrounded by
                                          Forry's collection. He got to know some of the pieces fairly well. We went
                                          to visit them a few years later and I had a brief opportunity to see some of
                                          the collection.
                                          Bruce's father (Aubrey) and Forry were good friends, and many of the
                                          pristine books from Aubrey's first edition collection were traded to Forry
                                          in exchange for those of poorer quality and some cash when Bruce's parents
                                          needed a financial pick up. Probably some of those books are either in the
                                          Museum, or helped Forry when he needed the assistance later on. A collection
                                          can grow and change; it is not necessarily a static thing.

                                          Since we got a few books from Aubrey's collection, maybe I have some of
                                          Forry's books here, now. I'd like to think so.

                                          >> The complete Forrest Ackerman collection is no longer intact. Bits and
                                          >> pieces of it have been sold over the past few years. One of the
                                          >> obituaries I read (LA Times?) mentioned that Ackerman had sold several
                                          >> items to help pay for living and medical expenses.

                                          Dana

                                        • Signe
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 13, 2009
                                            --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Zetterberg" <nebula5@...> wrote:

                                            > As I hinted at in my earlier message, Paul Allen will undoubtedly bid
                                            > on much of this collection, guaranteed. And yes, many of Forry's items
                                            > are already on display in the SFM here in Seattle, properly attributed
                                            > as coming from his collection, and probably from these earlier sales.

                                            Hi Julie,

                                            Is Paul Allen a major contributor to the SFM? If so, I hope the items
                                            he bids on will be made available for public display at the museum.

                                            Unfortunately, Paul Allen took a big financial hit this week. Charter
                                            Communications (cable company), which Allen owns 51% of, went into
                                            Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

                                            Signe
                                          • Julie Zetterberg
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 14, 2009
                                              --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Signe" <recycledvalkyrie@...> wrote:

                                              > Is Paul Allen a major contributor to the SFM? If so, I hope the
                                              items
                                              > he bids on will be made available for public display at the museum.
                                              >
                                              > Unfortunately, Paul Allen took a big financial hit this week.
                                              Charter
                                              > Communications (cable company), which Allen owns 51% of, went into
                                              > Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

                                              Paul Allen pretty much _is_ the SFM; he built it, and the majority of
                                              the items on display are from "the Allen Family Collection."

                                              Shortly after the big Trek auction in 2006, we were not at all
                                              surprised to see many of the auctioned items on exhibit there,
                                              including the Enterprise-D model, and the model of DS9.
                                              http://trekmovie.com/2006/10/07/enterprise-d-model-sells-for-500/

                                              I'm fairly sure the Charter Communications bankruptcy is but a teensy
                                              blip on Paul Allen's overall financial picture.

                                              --Julie