The "new" Polaroid camera

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
      We lamented about the end of Polaroid film and the issues with setting
      up a digital cam and a printer. There's also been lots of issues with
      it disappearing with movie production folks. They want to print and
      attach immediately.

      Polaroid is coming out with a new insti-print (or near) camera. As
      they note, it's version 1.0 ... but when 1.1 comes out... add it into
      the masquerade budget for long term supplies... and it's cheaper than
      the old version.

      http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090108/ap_on_hi_te/tec_tech_test_polaroid_camera

      -Cat-
    • Puppetmaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
        That's very interesting. I am wondering if any other camera
        manufactures have this sort of tech on the horizon.
        I do know that there is a new compact Kodak printer that is pretty
        doggone fast with a card slot to print images on the spot.
        I think anything to get away from balancing a laptop on one person's
        lap so the judges can see the pictures of the contestants is a good
        idea.

        Kath the Puppeteer

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
          That's one of the things we use our portable Sony photo printer for.

          <CatDevereaux@...<mailto:CatDevereaux%40alleycatscratch.com>> wrote:
          > We lamented about the end of Polaroid film and the issues with setting
          > up a digital cam and a printer. There's also been lots of issues with
          > it disappearing with movie production folks. They want to print and
          > attach immediately.
          >
          > Polaroid is coming out with a new insti-print (or near) camera. As
          > they note, it's version 1.0 ... but when 1.1 comes out... add it into
          > the masquerade budget for long term supplies... and it's cheaper than
          > the old version.
          >
          > http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090108/ap_on_hi_te/tec_tech_test_polaroid_camera<http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090108/ap_on_hi_te/tec_tech_test_polaroid_camera>
          >
          > -Cat-

        • Barb Schofield
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
            I had quite a problem last year as to what to do for the Polaris masquerade, about 30 to 40 entries,  without Polaroid photos.  We looked at small photo printers and were told, by those who had used them for large amounts of printing, that they slow down if they can't handle the volume.  We also decided that we didn't want to pay for special photo paper.

            We ended up going with the idea of putting a flip chart on the left side of the photo area, so that it would be on the side of the photo beside the contestants, and using 2 sets of 0 to 10 numbers on letter size paper.  The approx 10 inch high numbers showed up well on the side in each photo and did not block out any of the contestants.  We then printed the photos 4 to a page, on regular letter paper using a colour printer, and the overall cost was minimal.  The photos were not regular photo quality, but as they are only used for judges to identify the contestants while judging, it was a worthwhile economy,  With the contestant number in each photo it was easy to cut them out and attach them to the judging forms.

            I don't want to go back to any kind of Polaroid system after finding out how well this worked and how little it cost.  Also, it didn't take any longer to do than our regular Polaroid photos used to.

            Barb

            <CatDevereaux@ alleycatscratch. com<mailto:CatDevereau x%40alleycatscra tch.com>> wrote:
            > We lamented about the end of Polaroid film and the issues with setting
            > up a digital cam and a printer. There's also been lots of issues with
            > it disappearing with movie production folks. They want to print and
            > attach immediately.
            >
            > Polaroid is coming out with a new insti-print (or near) camera. As
            > they note, it's version 1.0 ... but when 1.1 comes out... add it into
            > the masquerade budget for long term supplies... and it's cheaper than
            > the old version.
            >
            > http://tech. yahoo.com/ news/ap/20090108 /ap_on_hi_ te/tec_tech_ test_polaroid_ camera<http://tech. yahoo.com/ news/ap/20090108 /ap_on_hi_ te/tec_tech_ test_polaroid_ camera>
            >
            > -Cat-

          • Debra
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2009
              Polaroid's site:
              http://polaroid.com/CES/ProductDetail.jsp?folder_id=2534374302037099&prod_code=PG009

              Note from Tech Republic reporting at the Consumer Electronic Show (CES):
              Polaroid PoGo Instant Digital Camera
              While Japan already had the Tomy Xiao, the rest of us had to go
              old-school if we wanted to get instant prints. Well, that'll change
              when the Polaroid PoGo Instant Digital Camera starts shipping in
              March. The 5-megapixel camera, which is capable of spitting out
              2×3-inch, sticky-back prints, will sell for $199, but 10-packs of the
              photo paper (which can be used with the PoGo printer too) will set you
              back $4.99 (30-packs are $12.99). The camera itself isn't all that
              impressive (think 4x digital zoom), but then again, neither were the
              film-based Polaroids and we still loved them.