Off-topic post (mostly) - Katie needs some help with a school project

  • Jay and Denisen
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
      Hi all -

      Haven't been on list in a while, but find ourselves needing a little
      bit of off-topic assistance, thought ICG-D list might be a good,
      varied place to start. (And no, we're not writing to ask someone to
      help us cash a Nigerian money order in return for a million
      ducks ...)

      Our daughter Katie is in the 2nd grade. She has been given a school
      project titled "Flat Stanley." Katie has decorated Flat Stanley with
      colorful clothes, and we now need to find someone in a different
      state or country to send Stanley to who's willing to take a picture
      of him in their home state or country, and then send Stanley back to
      us with the picture. We'll pay postage both ways in return for the
      favor. Stanley needs to be back to us by the end of January.

      And, just to keep this post on-topic, Stanley is dressed in a
      beautiful costume of black lace-up leather shoes (e.g., wingtips),
      vertically-striped green pants (very Dickens Faire-esque), a white
      button-down, French cuffed cotton shirt, and a crimson silk tie with
      embroidered black spots.

      Thanks, all, very much! I (and Katie) look forward to hearing back.

      Best -

      Katie and Denisen
    • Bruno
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
        I did Flat Stanley for my nephew last year. I took him to a local con
        and took picture of him with lots of people in costume. I also took
        him to CC in STL but only took pictures of him at the arch and the
        museum below it.

        Bruno

        Quoting Jay and Denisen <hartlove@...>:

        > Hi all -
        >
        > Our daughter Katie is in the 2nd grade. She has been given a school
        > project titled "Flat Stanley." Katie has decorated Flat Stanley with
        > colorful clothes, and we now need to find someone in a different
        > state or country to send Stanley to who's willing to take a picture
        > of him in their home state or country, and then send Stanley back to
        > us with the picture. We'll pay postage both ways in return for the
        > favor. Stanley needs to be back to us by the end of January.
      • Jay Meisner
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
          Bruno,

          Kinda fun to send him around so the kids can learn. My son's Flat Stanley
          went to Hawaii and arrived at the school delivered to his class room by
          FedEx.

          Jay Meisner

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
            Mine also went back with souvenirs from St. Louis.

            Bruno

            Quoting Jay Meisner <emtp117@...>:

            > Bruno,
            >
            > Kinda fun to send him around so the kids can learn. My son's Flat Stanley
            > went to Hawaii and arrived at the school delivered to his class room by
            > FedEx.
            >
            > Jay Meisner

          • Kaijugal
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
              I've never heard of this Flat Stanley thing. Sounds like fun.
              I'd be willing to help. I'
              I'm in Toronto, Canada, so could take a picture of him at the CN Tower, or
              Hockey Hall of Fame or something. I dunno. Maybe I can find a mounty to harrass. XD

              ~Dawn :)

              To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.comFrom: hartlove@...: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 03:14:12 +0000Subject: [ICG-D] Off-topic post (mostly) - Katie needs some help with a school project

[...]

            • Lay, Toni
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                Okay, it's been over 50 years since I was in 2nd grade. What the hell
                is a "Flat Stanley"? We had no such thing when I was in school.

                Toni

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                  http://www.flatstanley.com/

                  On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:03 AM, Kaijugal <kaijugal@...> wrote:

                  > I've never heard of this Flat Stanley thing. Sounds like fun.
                  > I'd be willing to help. I'
                  > I'm in Toronto, Canada, so could take a picture of him at the CN Tower, or
                  > Hockey Hall of Fame or something. I dunno. Maybe I can find a mounty to
                  > harrass. XD
                  >
                  > ~Dawn :)
                  >

                  > To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.comFrom <ICG-D%40yahoogroups.comFrom>:
                  > hartlove@... <hartlove%40mindspring.comDate>: Wed, 3 Dec
                  > 2008 03:14:12 +0000Subject: [ICG-D] Off-topic post (mostly) - Katie needs
                  > some help with a school project
                  >
                  > Hi all -Haven't been on list in a while, but find ourselves needing a
                  > little bit of off-topic assistance, thought ICG-D list might be a good,
                  > varied place to start. (And no, we're not writing to ask someone to help us
                  > cash a Nigerian money order in return for a million ducks ...) Our daughter
                  > Katie is in the 2nd grade. She has been given a school project titled "Flat
                  > Stanley." Katie has decorated Flat Stanley with colorful clothes, and we now
                  > need to find someone in a different state or country to send Stanley to
                  > who's willing to take a picture of him in their home state or country, and
                  > then send Stanley back to us with the picture. We'll pay postage both ways
                  > in return for the favor. Stanley needs to be back to us by the end of
                  > January.And, just to keep this post on-topic, Stanley is dressed in a
                  > beautiful costume of black lace-up leather shoes (e.g., wingtips),
                  > vertically-striped green pants (very Dickens Faire-esque), a white
                  > button-down, French cuffed cotton shirt, and a crimson silk tie with
                  > embroidered black spots.Thanks, all, very much! I (and Katie) look forward
                  > to hearing back.Best -Katie and Denisen

                • Lisa A Ashton
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                    Back in 1995, when my children were in elem. school, Robert and I went
                    to LonestarCon but couldn't take them with us--they got to vacation with
                    Grandma instead. At hte last minute before we left for the airport,
                    Celia made me take "Piggy" with me. Piggy was a small stuffed pink pig,
                    her favorite, the one she slept with and wouldn't be without. So we took
                    Piggy with us, and took photos of him at the airport, on the plane, in
                    San Antonio, at the Alamo, at the con, etc. After they were developed, I
                    made them into a scrapbook with pictures that Celia drew of Piggy and his
                    family. Over 10 years later, it is still a treasured posession.

                    So I understand the Flat Stanley thing very well. And anythingthat
                    encourages kids to write letters and send REAL mail is a great thing!

                    Besides, he can be costumed! If he went to another country, he could get
                    a national outfit! How cool is that.

                    Yours in cosutming, Lis aA>
                    On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:39:10 -0500 "Jay Meisner" <emtp117@...>
                    writes:
                    > http://www.flatstanley.com/

                  • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                      *snip*

                      So I understand the Flat Stanley thing very well. And anythingthat
                      encourages kids to write letters and send REAL mail is a great thing!
                      ----------------------------
                      My niece did something similar, with a paper doll of herself that she
                      sent to me. It was kind of fun, taking 'Flat Chris' around the sites.

                      Kate McClure
                      The voices in my head keep breaking into song . . .
                      - lots42 from LiveJournal

                    • Ann Catelli
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                        Thank you, Jeff Morris, for your hard work as owner of the ICG lists and the webmaster for the International Costumer's Guild.

                        I know many others on this list will wish to add their thanks. :)

                        Ann Catelli
                        new listowner, ICG-D and ICG-BOD
                        though I expect the policies in place will remain.
                      • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                          Thank you, Jeff Morris, for your hard work as owner of the ICG lists and
                          the webmaster for the International Costumer's Guild.

                          I know many others on this list will wish to add their thanks. :)
                          ------------------

                          My, yes! He's put up with us for *how* long? It's a wonder he hasn't
                          gone stark raving bonkers by now.

                          Thanks for all the hard work, Jeff!

                          Kate McClure
                          If I stitch fast enough, does it count as aerobic exercise? - Anon.

                        • Jeff Morris
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                            --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...> wrote:

                            > Thank you, Jeff Morris, for your hard work as owner of the ICG lists
                            and the webmaster for the International Costumer's Guild.

                            > I know many others on this list will wish to add their thanks. :)

                            Hmmm. So much for sneaking out, I guess. :)

                            Yeah, I'm stepping down effective the end of this year. My successor
                            is Deech Mestel, who I'm sure will do a terrific job if for no other
                            reason that, as in my case, Nora knows where he lives.

                            It has been an honor and privilege to serve the Guild. Thank you all.

                            JSM
                          • Betsy Delaney
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                              Go you for finding a replacement!

                              Three cheers!!!

                              Betsy

                              (ps: Condolences, Deech!)

                              On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Jeff Morris <slcgjeff@...> wrote:
                              > --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...> wrote:
                              >>

                              >> Thank you, Jeff Morris, for your hard work as owner of the ICG lists
                              > and the webmaster for the International Costumer's Guild.
                              >>
                              >> I know many others on this list will wish to add their thanks. :)
                            • Ricky & Karen Dick
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                                Thank you, Jeff, for all your hard work, and your patience with us during some of the occasional "Flame Wars."

                                And welcome, Deetch!

                                --Karen

                                > Thank you, Jeff Morris, for your hard work as owner of the ICG lists
                                and the webmaster for the International Costumer's Guild.

                                > I know many others on this list will wish to add their thanks. :)

                                Hmmm. So much for sneaking out, I guess. :)

                                Yeah, I'm stepping down effective the end of this year. My successor
                                is Deech Mestel, who I'm sure will do a terrific job if for no other
                                reason that, as in my case, Nora knows where he lives.

                                It has been an honor and privilege to serve the Guild. Thank you all.

                                JSM

                              • Toker, Sue (US SSA)
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 4, 2008
                                  Another Thank You for your hard work and high tolerance for running the
                                  ICG lists and Webmaster!

                                  Oh and a hearty Welcome to Deech Mestel!

                                  Susan

                                • von_drago
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 4, 2008
                                    Jeff has served longer than he first intended & certainly contributed
                                    to the health & well-being of the lists, website & the ICG in general.

                                    So thanks for all the help & support Jeff!

                                    And welcome to his replacement - Deech Mestel, enjoy the ride.

                                    Nora
                                  • Jeanine Swick
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 4, 2008
                                      Many thanks to Jeff for all his hard work and a big welcome to his
                                      replacement.

                                      Jeanine

                                      Toker, Sue (US SSA) wrote:

                                      > Another Thank You for your hard work and high tolerance for running the
                                      > ICG lists and Webmaster!
                                      >
                                      > Oh and a hearty Welcome to Deech Mestel!
                                      >
                                      > Susan

                                    • Lay, Toni
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 5, 2008
                                        Thank you, Jeff for the wonderful job you've done keeping us all in
                                        line. Now you can start the heavy drinking.

                                        Toni