Re: [ICG-D] Quiet Board...

  • Betsy Delaney
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2008
      This year's French Canadian Christmas Revels opens Friday with an
      Outreach Performance. I'm tied up at work through 12/15. If you post
      something you think I need to see, you're better off sending it to me
      directly rather than through the list, which I only read with half an
      eye this whole week.

      Watch for a bunch of updates to the CC27 tours and Excursions info
      anytime after January 1.... 8-)

      ps: Got the new Janet Arnold book at Darkover from Poison Pen Press.
      Still haven't had time to crack it open. Now THAT's busy!

      Cheers,

      -b

      Betsy Delaney
    • Dany
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2008
        Didn't go to LosCon this year, but a lot of folks we know did. We opted to
        stay in town this year instead of trucking it to LA for our friend's orphan
        Thanksgiving.

        What we did instead consisted of probably the weirdest combination of things
        imaginable. Food, sewing, movies, video games (Guild Wars, to be precise),
        more sewing. A lot of said sewing was pattern drafting, however.darn
        corsets. I really suffer myself on these blasted things.

        Dany
        -and getting used to daylight bulbs in the living room. Whoa..

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2008
          *grin*

          Loscon was fun-we had 4 of us to take the trip from Seattle/Tacoma and spent 2 days in the garment district.  The finale was going to the Tudor House for dinner Tuesday.

          Nom nom nom.....
           JonnaLyhn Wolfcat
          aka Angharad verch Reynulf, BAO, An Tir

          ________________________________

          Everybody on the East Coast must be at Darkover, Los Angeles at Loscon, etc.

          Me, I'm still laying out the CC27 Fashion Folio. Only 12 designs to go...

          --Karen

        • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2008
            Loscon was fun-we had 4 of us to take the trip from Seattle/Tacoma and
            spent 2 days in the garment district. The finale was going to the Tudor
            House for dinner Tuesday.
            --------------------------
            Isn't the garment district fun? Did you get to go to the Michael Levine
            bargain room? One could easily get very lost in there!

            More details on the Tudor House, please. I've never been.

            Kate McClure
            Dreaming of sparkly fabric and sugar plum prints

          • Angharad ver' Reynulf
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2008
              Oh yes, Garment district is ALWAYS fun!  Plus we had someone who'd never been before, and that made it even more fun.

              Went to Mike's Fabrics, Em-be's, Tex-Carmel, Silk City, Michael Levine's (both stores, plus the Loft), Europe Fabrics and many many more.

              Unfortunately, was seriously short on fundage, so most of it was petting the pretty fabrics, but I did score some nice brocade for curtains and pieces for the next Masquerade entry.

              Tudor House is in Santa Monica, and while the original intent was for tea on Tuesday, we went to dinner, which they have just started doing.  Came back with some gooseberry jam, clotted cream (cause I'm lazy and don't feel like making it) and a new bottle of Ribena.  If you like British food, definitely consider going, I'd go again in a heartbeat, especially if I could play dress-up for Tea as well!

              ------------ --------- -----
              Isn't the garment district fun? Did you get to go to the Michael Levine
              bargain room? One could easily get very lost in there!

              More details on the Tudor House, please. I've never been.

              Kate McClure
              Dreaming of sparkly fabric and sugar plum prints

            • Ricky & Karen Dick
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2008
                I *SERIOUSLY* miss Michael Levine. Have not been in Los Angeles in quite a while.

                --Karen

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2008
                  What is Ribena? Never heard of it, and am curious.

                  Sandy

                  At 01:59 PM 12/4/2008, you wrote:
                  >Tudor House is in Santa Monica, and while the original intent was
                  >for tea on Tuesday, we went to dinner, which they have just started
                  >doing. Came back with some gooseberry jam, clotted cream (cause I'm
                  >lazy and don't feel like making it) and a new bottle of Ribena. If
                  >you like British food, definitely consider going, I'd go again in a
                  >heartbeat, especially if I could play dress-up for Tea as well!
                  > JonnaLyhn Wolfcat
                  >aka Angharad verch Reynulf, BAO, An Tir

                  "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                  Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                  -- C. Y. 4971

                  Andromeda
                • Karen Heim
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2008
                    Ribena is blackcurrant syrup. I can get it at my local
                    ethnic grocer. Dilute it in water for a lovely drink.

                    Karen

                  • randwhit@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2008
                      How would it be in tea? I buy blackcurrant tea bags regularly. What kinds of
                      ethnic stores carry it?

                      Randall

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2008
                        Hmmm. Don't know about how it would be in tea; it's like
                        the syrups you can put in coffee - concentrated fruit and
                        sugar. It would be a replacement sweetener, and I would
                        use a VERY small amount to sweeten tea.

                        My ethnic grocer is a catch-all kind of place; each aisle
                        is dedicated to a different region of the world. Ribena,
                        along with many of the other syrups, is in the Northern
                        European section. Even my regular grocery store carries a
                        number of different syrups of this type because we have a
                        large Bosnian population. I use them to make wine.

                        Karen

                        On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:41:53 EST
                        randwhit@... wrote:
                        > How would it be in tea? I buy blackcurrant tea bags
                        >regularly. What kinds of
                        > ethnic stores carry it?
                        >
                        > Randall
                        >

                        > In a message dated 12/4/2008 10:19:14 P.M. US Mountain
                        >Standard Time,
                        > axejudge@... writes:
                        >
                        > Ribena is blackcurrant syrup. I can get it at my local
                        > ethnic grocer. Dilute it in water for a lovely drink.
                        >
                        > Karen

                      • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 5, 2008
                          > How would it be in tea? I buy blackcurrant tea bags
                          >regularly. What kinds of
                          > ethnic stores carry it?
                          >
                          > Randall
                          There are several Eastern European shops in the Seattle area, which
                          carry those syrups. I've had everything from blackberry to rose, and
                          they are yummy! They make an especially refreshing drink in hot weather,
                          mixed with water and ice. Mmmmmm!

                          Kate McClure
                          Who now wants a rose splash.