Re: [ICG-D] Reality Show Recruiting, Yet Again

  • Ricky & Karen Dick
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9 2:31 PM
      The Wife Swap show needs families with kids under 18, as most of the conflicts arise around conflicting parenting styles.

      They wanted us BAD (wacky artistic family living in their haunted house), and called and called, but Cait wan't living with us full-time, and was over 18 by the time we talked to them.

      I would have done it. It pays $20,000, and I can put up with just about anything for only 2 weeks. (And I could probably tolerate the Christian/Corporate family they'd stick me with better than the wife from the other family would tolerate living in my home environment.)

      --Karen

    • lani.lee@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9 2:40 PM
        WHAT! A Reality Show that is scripted not "real"?!!!! I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked! XD

        From: "Cat Devereaux" <CatDevereaux@...>

        > This editing we know about already, ... but what I didn't know is that
        > they also sit around a table and brainstorm stories they want, much
        > like writers do at a table for comedy shows. They then work to cast
        > folks who will be/do what they came up with aroud the story table. So
        > besides just "matching" clashes, from the very first contact they have
        > a good idea of how they want the families to react and encourage that
        > direction from the very first discussion. Since the
        > folks "volunteering" want to get the gig for the money, they're very
        > easily moded on the path by pros (so they may not even realize how much
        > they're being manipulated.)
        >
        > This is all geared for the ratings. And behind the scenes, they'll
        > admit that ticked off is good because that means that more will watch
        > it. Happyness not required... it's all about eye balls... and they do
        > not care what they have to do to get it.

      • Cat Devereaux
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9 8:47 PM
          --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, lani.lee@... wrote:

          > WHAT! A Reality Show that is scripted not "real"?!!!! I'm
          shocked, I tell you, shocked! XD

          Yea, ain't it special! :-O

          The biggest backfire on that track was a "pirate" reality show. It
          was a poor imitatin of the standard Survivor show. It had some basic
          flaws in design that made it very obious that only one of two guys
          could win and the rest were there for window dressing. The
          contestants felt the show, as produced wasn't generating enough
          drama... so they tried to go around the producers and create their
          own scripts and drama... far beyound just little groups conspiring
          against each other but trying to setup the producers.... forgetting
          that the whole ship was miked.

          Needless to say, plug got pulled.

          Oh, costume content... the did have a psuedo-pirate jacket for the
          captain to air... though the rest of the costumes consisted mostly of
          black t's and tank to get the pirate image across. <G>

          -Cat-
          (I can't wait until these shows die out. There is no reality in
          them.)
        • Betsy Delaney
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9 10:27 PM
            Yep, unfortunately they're persistent.

            We had a request come through Costume-ConNections, too.

            My life is weird enough without being on tv like that.

            I despise these "reality" shows. Reminds me of the Roman empire. They've
            replaced the lions, but that's about the only change they've made.

            Disgusting, the lot of them.

            -b

            Dana MacDermott wrote:

            > It seems to me this has been discussed at length before, and I am
            > guessing it is way out of date and has acquired a life bouncing around
            > in espace. Probably only a ghost remnant.
            >
            > Dana

            Betsy Delaney
          • randwhit@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 11 8:51 AM
              The internet needs Ghostbusters.

              Randall

              In a message dated 8/9/2008 1:11:07 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
              DMacD@... writes:

              It seems to me this has been discussed at length before, and I am
              guessing it is way out of date and has acquired a life bouncing around
              in espace. Probably only a ghost remnant.

              Dana

              Read reviews on AOL Autos.