Re: [ICG-D] Treasurer question

  • Bruno
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2008
      We (Denver Costume & Cosplay Society) use PayPal for memberships. We
      have it set up as a Non-Profit account and not as a personal account.
      I'm pretty sure we take all forms of payment as there are fees either
      way. If people want to pay by PayPal, the fee is an additional 75
      cents to cover the PayPal fees. I just checked our membership list,
      as PayPal and Cash/Check payments are tracked in different columns and
      so far 43% of memberships paid have been by PayPal. As our membership
      demographic is younger and more net savvy, it is more appealing.
      Personally, I prefer to pay anything by PayPal than mailing a check.

      Michael
      President
      DCCS

      Quoting M <marh88@...>:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I am the newly elected Treasurer to Sick Pups. We have been
      > discussing using "Pay Pal" for our membership online.
      >
      > I am hoping for feedback to this idea from people who have use Pay
      > Pal and what they think whether this is a good idea or not.
      >

      > Thank you,
      >
      > Marcy

    • Stephanie L Bannon
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 1:12 AM
        At 08:19 PM 6/30/2008, Bruno wrote:
        >We (Denver Costume & Cosplay Society) use PayPal for memberships. We
        >have it set up as a Non-Profit account and not as a personal account.
        >I'm pretty sure we take all forms of payment as there are fees either
        >way. If people want to pay by PayPal, the fee is an additional 75
        >cents to cover the PayPal fees. I just checked our membership list,
        >as PayPal and Cash/Check payments are tracked in different columns and
        >so far 43% of memberships paid have been by PayPal. As our membership
        >demographic is younger and more net savvy, it is more appealing.
        >Personally, I prefer to pay anything by PayPal than mailing a check.

        You might want to be careful about charging the 75c to use Paypal
        since the user agreement says:
        "You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for
        accepting PayPal as payment. "

        YMMV,
        Stephanie

        >Michael
        >President
        >DCCS
        >
        >Quoting M <marh88@...>:
        >
        > > Greetings,
        > >
        > > I am the newly elected Treasurer to Sick Pups. We have been
        > > discussing using "Pay Pal" for our membership online.
        > >
        > > I am hoping for feedback to this idea from people who have use Pay
        > > Pal and what they think whether this is a good idea or not.
        > >

        > > Thank you,
        > >
        > > Marcy

      • Michelle
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1 6:12 AM
          --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "M" <marh88@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > I am the newly elected Treasurer to Sick Pups. We have been
          > discussing using "Pay Pal" for our membership online.
          >
          > I am hoping for feedback to this idea from people who have use Pay
          > Pal and what they think whether this is a good idea or not.
          >

          > Thank you,
          >
          > Marcy

          Marcy,

          The SECS fiends have PayPal for taking membership dues and also for
          paying ICG dues. It's really nice to have. The only problem I've had
          so far is that I had to send PayPal extra documentation that we're
          non-profit so that we could have the business account. Other than
          that, it's been swell.

          Michelle
          Treasurer - SECS
        • seattlelisas
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1 11:48 AM
            I refuse to let PayPal know what my bank account is. It's CC or
            nothing so far as I'm concerned. Not enough controls.

            Seaboe

          • randwhit@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1 12:23 PM
              In a message dated 7/1/2008 11:48:52 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
              seattlelisas@... writes:

              I refuse to let PayPal know what my bank account is. It's CC or
              nothing so far as I'm concerned. Not enough controls.

              _________________________

              I feel the same way. I have a paypal account for making some online
              purchases, but it bills strictly to my credit card. I want to have a chance to
              dispute charges before I pay them.

              I've considered taking out a second checking account just for online
              business. This would facilitate my ability to accept payment for my Randwulf's
              patterns, but so far I've considered it too much hassle to set up.

              Randall

            • Richard Man
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2 12:37 AM
                That's easy, just call it $.75 discount for using a check.

                At 01:12 AM 7/1/2008, Stephanie L Bannon wrote:

                >You might want to be careful about charging the 75c to use Paypal
                >since the user agreement says:
                >"You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for
                >accepting PayPal as payment. "

                // richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
                please use richard at imagecraft.com)
              • Steve Swope
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 13 11:14 PM
                  Dany wrote:

                  > What stinks is that presently, I'm not finding that option in PayPal itself.
                  > I'm looking though.

                  I set up a separate account, unconnected to any others, specifically
                  for paypal usage. This has two benefits:

                  1) It acts as a financial firewall in case someone breaks
                  into my paypal account.

                  2) It forces me to move money deliberately when I'm going to
                  make a payment, which helps in budgeting and provides an
                  energy barrier against frivolous spending.

                  --

                  Steve Swope (aka phierma@...)
                • Steve Swope
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 13 11:21 PM
                    seattlelisas wrote:

                    > I refuse to let PayPal know what my bank account is. It's CC or
                    > nothing so far as I'm concerned. Not enough controls.
                    >
                    > Seaboe
                    > --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ICG-D%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dany"
                    > <dany@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > -learned vicariously that it's not a good idea to have PayPal
                    > going straight
                    > > out of the bank account!

                    Oddly enough, my paranoia runs in exactly the opposite direction.

                    --

                    Steve Swope (aka phierma@...)
                  • Andrew Trembley
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 13 11:29 PM
                      Steve Swope wrote:
                      > seattlelisas wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I refuse to let PayPal know what my bank account is. It's CC or
                      >> nothing so far as I'm concerned. Not enough controls.
                      >>
                      >> Seaboe
                      >> --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ICG-D%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dany"

                      >> going straight
                      >> > out of the bank account!
                      >
                      > Oddly enough, my paranoia runs in exactly the opposite direction.

                      It's a trade-off.

                      Having a bank account that only has money in it when you're making a
                      PayPal transaction is a good way to protect your money, but you've only
                      got the PayPal protections if something goes wring with your transaction.

                      Having a credit card for PayPal provides you with the protections that
                      the credit card companies provide (either required by Federal law or as
                      a competitive feature, I really like Amex for the latter, and it's the
                      only thing I connect to my PayPal account) should your transaction go wrong.

                      andy
                    • Dany
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 13 11:33 PM
                        From Andy:

                        >>>Having a bank account that only has money in it when you're making a
                        PayPal transaction is a good way to protect your money, but you've only
                        got the PayPal protections if something goes wring with your transaction.

                        Having a credit card for PayPal provides you with the protections that
                        the credit card companies provide (either required by Federal law or as
                        a competitive feature, I really like Amex for the latter, and it's the
                        only thing I connect to my PayPal account) should your transaction go wrong.

                        Having a credit card as a means of ANY form of online payment has saved my
                        bank account at least once. Some of you who have Dreamhost may remember an
                        incident recently where people were billed 2 years of payments instead of a
                        month's worth. Peoples' bank accounts where shot, some people were saying
                        they couldn't pay rent, etc.

                        I was able to catch the situation before it hit my account by calling the
                        card company. They were prepared to dispute the charge if it came, which it
                        did, but I let Dreamhost do its own effort to fix it (which they did).

                        As Andy said, it's a tradeoff. But my cards have served me well in recent
                        times. And in exchange, I try to keep them paid off :D

                        Dany

                        -though it's a bit hard at the moment.

                      • Katherine Daida
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 14 12:30 AM
                          We at BRCG did that, too, and it works petty well.Katt

                          To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.comFrom: phierma@...: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:14:34 -0500Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Treasurer question