Re: [ICG-D] fabric sources

  • Bruno
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4 11:28 PM
      It is my understanding that Denver Fabrics sold the online business,
      hence the name change. However, anyone coming to Denvention can vist
      the brick and mortar. I'd say it's about 20 minutes from downtown.

      Bruno

      Quoting Janice Dallas <Janice@...>:

      > I used fashionfabricsclub.com (Denver fabrics)recently for some suiting
      > weight silk, and was pleased with it. They have all sorts of velvet and
      > wools as well, but I believe you have to become a member.
      > --
      > Janice Dallas
      > Boston,MA area, USA
      > Janice@...
      > "Just so, the girl has beauty, virtue, wit..."

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5 5:07 PM
        I just ordered/received fabrics from Denver Fabrics online (Denverfabrics.com). It is not the same website as fashion fabrics club. I was impressed by the low prices and good selection of fabrics.
        Susan Smith

        Bruno <bruno@...> wrote:
        It is my understanding that Denver Fabrics sold the online business,
        hence the name change. However, anyone coming to Denvention can vist
        the brick and mortar. I'd say it's about 20 minutes from downtown.

        Bruno

        Quoting Janice Dallas <Janice@...>:

        > I used fashionfabricsclub.com (Denver fabrics)recently for some suiting
        > weight silk, and was pleased with it. They have all sorts of velvet and
        > wools as well, but I believe you have to become a member.
        > --
        > Janice Dallas
        > Boston,MA area, USA
        > Janice@...
        > "Just so, the girl has beauty, virtue, wit..."

      • Ricky & Karen Dick
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5 5:24 PM
          Some of my favorites:

          Baer Fabrics in Louisville, KY

          Britex Fabrics in San Francisco, CA

          G Street Fabrics in Rockville, MD

          International Silks & Woolens in Beverly Hills, CA

          Thai Silks in Los Altos, CA

          Michael Levine in Los Angeles, CA

          Most will do swatching or mail-order; most have web sites.

          I was also quite impressed with "Fabrics R Us" in the San Jose, CA area. Miles and miles of inexpensive fabrics. I saw cut velvet, embroidered sheers, upholstery fabrics good for historicals, overall embroidered cotton eyelet in interesting colors. Plus frogs, buttons, trims, lace appliques, cone thread, you name it.

          For beads, I recommend

          Fire Mountain Gems, Oregon

          Berger Beads, Los Angeles

          Bohemian Crystal, Los Angeles

          Ornamental Resources, Colorado

          I've also had good luck with eBay, especially when I'm looking for fabrics in seasons they're not usually in the stores (spandex in winter; wools in summer).

          All of these places have saved my butt when I can't find something locally. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh has the usual Jo-Ann Fabrics and not much else. There isn't a Hancock witin a 3-hour radius of us. There are some local bead stores and a high-end specilty fabric store in Mt. Lebanon, but that's about it.

          --Karen

        • cloakmakerusa
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6 5:23 AM
            You don't need to be a member. You need to be prepared for a wait, or
            pay through the nose to get deliveries in less than 2 weeks.

            They pre-existed Denver Fabrics - they just incorporated them. If you
            need 25+ yards and can be a business, they may quote a better rate.

            Color descriptions are not always accurate.

            Distinctive Fabrics is good for interesting fur, as is Meyer Fabric.

            Dina
            Cloak & Dagger Creations