Re: Space Bags for Fabric Storage

  • Princessa
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
      I thought these would be a great solution for my costumes, as I have
      oodles of them, and not oodles of space.

      Boy, was I sorry! Although I was able to really maximize space in the
      bins the costumes are in, they got horribly, horribly wrinkled.
      Fortunately, I was smart enough not to put my blue velvet gown in one.

      I wouldn't recommend them for anything fancy. And keep in mind that
      you will be doing ironing when they come out... lots of it. Nothing
      snaps back to the way it was. It conforms to every crinkle in the bag,
      and stays that way.

      ~Tiffany
      "still ironing stuff after pulling it out after a few months"
      Brilliant Moon Cosplay

      --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Barb Schofield <wilberforcebarb@...> wrote:

      > I received an enquiry from one of our local costumers asking if
      anyone had used "Space Bags" to store their fabric stash. These are
      the vacuum seal storage packs that allow you to suck out the air with
      the use of a vacuum cleaner, and reduce the volume of the package for
      storage.

      > I have always been suspicious of the TV adds, that show the stuff
      taken out of the bags after a few minutes and it looks OK, as I
      wondered what it would look like after a few months or a year. I
      suppose with fabric you could just steam or press it back into shape.

      > Has anyone tried this with fabric or costumes and what was it
      successful?

    • Katherine Daida
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
        Mom put a nice puffy bedspread in one and a year or two later it came out all flat and droopy, so my vote would be a big fat "don't do it".Katt

        To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.comFrom: wilberforcebarb@...: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 18:15:27 -0500Subject: [ICG-D] Space Bags for Fabric Storage

        I received an enquiry from one of our local costumers asking if anyone had used "Space Bags" to store their fabric stash. These are the vacuum seal storage packs that allow you to suck out the air with the use of a vacuum cleaner, and reduce the volume of the package for storage.I have always been suspicious of the TV adds, that show the stuff taken out of the bags after a few minutes and it looks OK, as I wondered what it would look like after a few months or a year. I suppose with fabric you could just steam or press it back into shape.Has anyone tried this with fabric or costumes and what was it successful?---------------------------------Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr![Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • seattlelisas
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
          I've used them quite successfully, so long as you don't mind
          wrinkles. I only used a few of the kind that require a vacuum
          cleaner, mainly using the smaller, roll-tight-to-force-out-the-air
          type. I think they hold the vacuum better than the others.

          Seaboe

        • MicheleSol@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
            I took Mary MacPoppins to Australia in a bag and being all taffeta it took
            an hour and forty five minutes to iron it all out. I also had to iron the
            netting from the goth skirt I'd put in a different bag.

            If you are willing to put in the ironing time, I got everything but the hat,
            jewelry, boots, and hoop skirt in one large bag. Considering there was 9
            yards of taffeta in the skirt, the jacket, bloomers, socks, sleeveless shell.
            That wasn't bad. It didn't help with the weight issue though.

            Michele

            48)

          • Barb Schofield
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
              Thanks to everyone who responded with info on the use of space bags. I have printed out the info for the fan who asked about it, as she doesn't have computer access.

              The idea of keeping the bags away from cats is problematic, as most costumers seem to have one or several of this accessory in their home,

              Barb