Painting a Doll

  • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hello!

      Since we're on the subject of dolls, I was wondering if anyone had any
      experience adding paint to the face of a porcelain one. I found a pretty
      at a thrift shop, but the face could use some touching up.

      Kate McClure
      Have scraps, will hoard.

    • K├Ąthe Barrows
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
        > Since we're on the subject of dolls, I was wondering if anyone had any
        > experience adding paint to the face of a porcelain one. I found a pretty
        > at a thrift shop, but the face could use some touching up.

        No matter what you do, the eyebrows will never match each other. That said,
        a good porcelain doll will have the features applied with a brush, in what's
        called underglaze, which is fired on. Cheapie porcelain dolls are often
        painted. Collectors of historical porcelain dolls may complain that the
        collectable value of a doll is ruined by any repairs. But if your pretty is
        of modern manufacture, especially the made-in-China variety (no pun
        intended), Acrylic paint might do the job. Well stocked hobby stores have
        this paint for plastic models.

        --
        Carolyn Kayta Barrows