Re: [ICG-D] Yippee, skipee, it's a new ICG newsletter poll!

  • randwhit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 9, 2007
      In a message dated 10/8/2007 7:51:38 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
      bubblemum@... writes:

      See, now I am the opposite- comedy is easy, finishing projects on time with
      a higher level of tailoring expertise, not letting my dreams get away from
      reality and remembering all the fiddly little bits that really make a costume
      pop- those are hard for me.

      _________________

      I'm in that camp as well. I literally can't turn it off.

      I woke up from a dream the other night in which appeared the vision of Uma
      Thurman as "The Bride" in her form-fitting yellow outfit, carrying a samurai
      sword and the severed head of a cartoon penguin wearing a little stocking cap.

      This would, of course, be presented as "Kill Chill, Vol 3."

      Randall

    • Katherine Daida
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 23, 2007
        I read in an issue of Threads magazine an interesting article about using the selvege for decorative effect on garments along straight seams.Katt

        To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.comFrom: kerowyn@...: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:03:15 +0000Subject: [ICG-D] Re: Yippee, skipee, it's a new ICG newsletter poll!

        Interesting piece of history, at one time the selvages were trimmed and saved to make rag rugs.- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Zetterberg" <Nebula5@...> wrote:>> > I've used the selvage lots of times at hemline or waistline without > incident. > > > > Yeah, really picky sewers always cut off the selvage> > I'd say the correct answer is that more likely there is no "always," it > depends on the fabric and situation. I've encountered fabric on which > the selvage was so tighly woven it puckered the body of the fabric, and > I had to remove it completely before I could even lay out my pattern > pieces. And on others, it's a non-issue and is fine to leave on and > sew into a seam (although many of my seams are now done with a serger, > and the selvage gets cut off with much of the seam allowance).> > You just have to consider each fabric, and how you're using it. > Experience will teach you which selvages are likely to cause problems > if left on.> > --Julie ZS>