Re: playing to a hostile crowd

  • von_drago
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 10, 2007
      Dany's right - you just have to ignore some people. And while those of
      us who actually know Mr. Hicks are aware of how difficult he can be to
      ignore, his comments don't surprise me.

      I think it's slightly amusing that he thinks the majority of the
      audience agrees with him. We know that's not true. Nor do I think the
      Archon ConCom or MD agree with him.

      Being aware that Mr. Hicks is opinionated if erudite, pompous & fond
      of the sound of his own voice; I'm still a little surprised that he's
      a snob. Only SF&F for him, thank you! (Strict adherence to his
      personal definition, too, please.) And preferably only Literary SF if
      it can be managed.

      If everyone thought that way, then Archon's Masquerade would be very
      small instead of the fabulous venue it is. Coincidentally, I suspect
      so would the convention itself. While I do pick up books there & have
      attended the occasional author panel, SF lit is not why I go. I go for
      all the variety of things one usually sees at an SF con.
      If the con were to exclude anything not strictly affiliated with SF
      that would eliminate many gamers, cosplayers, a lot of dealers, etc.
      Further restrict it to Literature & you lose the LOTR, Star Wars &
      Star Trek crowd (What?! No Klingons at an SF con?!) cause they're
      media not books.

      Just my 2 cents.
      Nora
      --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "axejudge" <axejudge@...> wrote:
      > If you think your average congoer thinks that the way masquerades
      have
      > evolved over time is a good thing, you might be surprised. Read
      this:

      > http://bradhicks.livejournal.com/359344.html
      >
      > I don't like being insulted, which is what he did. I tried to defend
      > our position, but it became clear I was outnumbered.
      >
      > I'm really pissed.
    • Susan Eisenhour
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 13, 2007
        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Eisenhour" <sjeisenhour@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky & Karen Dick" <castleb@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Is it possible that the source of this conflict is NASFiC's
        > interpretation of what are suitable costumes for its masquerade vs.
        > Archon's interpretation, and these two cons were combined this year?
        > >
        > > I have seen plenty of stuff in the Archon masquerade that I
        wouldn't
        > classify as Science Fiction -or- fantasy, but if Archon just calls
        it
        > thair "masquerade," that's kosher. But some of the NASFiC crossover
        > attendees may not have understood that.
        > >
        > > --Karen
        > Frankly, if Cascadia con was an example of typical NASFiC
        masquerade,
        > let's keep our peculiar Archon traditions. Nothing against the
        people
        > who did enter in Seattle, but I think there were about 10 entries,
        and
        > few of those were up to Archon standards.
        > Susan

        Sorry. that was a typo. I meant there were so few entries, I was
        completely surprised. I expected a west-coast NASFiC to be much
        bigger.
        I understand many of the costumes out there were busy with other
        projects.