Re: costumerish discovery

  • Michelle Clark
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
      > While washing the costumes from the late (not very lamented)
      > production of Midsummer Night's Dream, I have discovered the most
      > persistent, potent element in the universe: fairy glitter!

      *snicker*
      My very first experience with Midsummer was back while I was still in
      high school, but I spent my summer working at one of the local
      college's summerstock theaters. As we started second weekend of the
      run I had the stage director somewhat hostilily (in a tongue in check
      sort of way) inform me that she had discovered some of our "Damn Fairy
      Dust" during her shower the day before in unmentionable places on her
      person and that we should keep it to ourselves.

      Michelle "Peasblossom"
    • von_drago
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
        Back when I was dancing regularly I used to attend seminars with
        merchant rows. The hotels were the victims of what we referred to
        as "glitter litter" from the glitter veils that were very popular at
        one time. It's a bear to get out of the carpet.

        Nora
        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Clark" <MBORZOI@...> wrote:

        > > While washing the costumes from the late (not very lamented)
        > > production of Midsummer Night's Dream, I have discovered the
        most
        > > persistent, potent element in the universe: fairy glitter!
        >
        > *snicker*
        > My very first experience with Midsummer was back while I was still
        in
        > high school, but I spent my summer working at one of the local
        > college's summerstock theaters. As we started second weekend of
        the
        > run I had the stage director somewhat hostilily (in a tongue in
        check
        > sort of way) inform me that she had discovered some of our "Damn
        Fairy
        > Dust" during her shower the day before in unmentionable places on
        her
        > person and that we should keep it to ourselves.
        >
        > Michelle "Peasblossom"

      • Susan L. Schoaps
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
          Oh boy, I remember that stuff. I had to use it once when I played the ghost in Blithe Spirit. Took several washings to get it out of my hair, and even then it was all over the house for months! Persistent stuff indeed!

          Susan S

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
            Just ask any belly dancer who uses body glitter and gets complaints from
            her husband because he found glitter on himself at the office. ;-)
            Jeanine
            ^..^

            Susan L. Schoaps wrote:

            > Oh boy, I remember that stuff. I had to use it once when I played the
            > ghost in Blithe Spirit. Took several washings to get it out of my
            > hair, and even then it was all over the house for months! Persistent
            > stuff indeed!
            >
            > Susan S

          • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
              >While washing the costumes from the late (not very lamented)
              >production of Midsummer Night's Dream, I have discovered the most
              >persistent, potent element in the universe: fairy glitter!
              ----------------------------
              I long ago discovered the . . . um . . . staying power of said glitter.
              Naturally, I used it to my own fiendish ends. How so, you may ponder?
              Read on . . .

              Some years ago, when my niece was but a tot, I wanted to send her
              something fun for Christmas. Having recently enjoyed a vacation in
              Disneyland, I decided to send her the small bottle of Tinker Bell Fairy
              Dust(tm) that I had picked up as a souvenir. All well and good, the lass
              was delighted, and Aunt Kate had gone up another notch on the Cool
              meter.

              Then, in the spring, near said lass's birthday, I received a call.
              Apparently, the T.B.F.D.(tm) was spent, and much bitter mourning had
              befallen her world. Not wishing to allow another moment of
              disappointment to cloud her fair brow, I told my niece that I would
              speak to Tinker Bell about this, and see what could be done. Several
              packs of silver, gold and white glitter and one quart jar later, I had a
              passable gift to send on, which I did.

              Now, be it known that there was some growling to be had from my niece's
              Mother (my younger sibling) at this time, but as they live in Kansas and
              I in Washington, I thought not much upon it. However, after the gift
              arrived, said growling grew in volume, and some veiled threats were made
              upon your humble scribe's person. Knowing that my little sister was much
              too broke to afford a trip west for mere vengeance, I laughed and went
              my merry way.

              Until the next Christmas. Wails and moans from my dear little niece, now
              five, led me to understand that, though the entire town of Salina,
              Kansas now fairly glowed with trails of glitter (some of which today
              still reside in Grandmother's house), the jar was empty, and the tragedy
              of this was epic. Being of soft heart (and, occasionally, mind) I
              comforted the girl, but told her that Tinker Bell was very busy this
              season, and I may not be able to talk her out of any more Fairy Dust.
              However, I knew some Garden Fairies, who might just have some extra to
              spare. (This was their slow season, after all.) Thusly, upon the morn a
              few days hence, another jar, slightly larger than the previous, carried
              the gift of pink, red and green glitter to the hinterlands of the
              prairie.

              I knew full well when the package arrived, for some days later, I
              received a phone call. It was not from the child's Mother, nor from her
              Grandmother, but from her babysitter. She told me, in no uncertain
              terms, to NEVER NEVER EVER EVER send anything remotely resembling Fairy
              Dust *or* glitter to my niece again. Actually, I remember that call
              somewhat fondly, as I'd never received death threats from a baby sitter
              before.

              Fast forward to this year. Said niece is now sixteen, and well beyond
              the Fairy Dust stage. However, the babysitter has a four year old
              daughter . . .

              With a Wide Evil Grin,
              Kate McClure

            • Susan L. Schoaps
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
                ROFLMAO! :wipes tears of glee from eyes: Thank you so much for sharing that story! I really needed a laugh today! :-D
              • Jay and Denisen
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Oh my gosh, that is HILARIOUS!!!!

                  Can I add, as the mom of two young girls, that while Katie isn't over-
                  fond of glitter (we've "conveniently" skipped those areas while in
                  Joanns), Abby seems much more interested in fairies, glitter and the
                  like already. And we have a new, big hairy dog (Maui) who will no
                  doubt be involved in some of the ruckus. Poor dog! (Hee-hee!!)

                  --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)"
                  <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  carried
                  > the gift of pink, red and green glitter to the hinterlands of the
                  > prairie.
                  >
                  > I knew full well when the package arrived, for some days later, I
                  > received a phone call. It was not from the child's Mother, nor from
                  her
                  > Grandmother, but from her babysitter. She told me, in no uncertain
                  > terms, to NEVER NEVER EVER EVER send anything remotely resembling
                  Fairy
                  > Dust *or* glitter to my niece again. Actually, I remember that call
                  > somewhat fondly, as I'd never received death threats from a baby
                  sitter
                  > before.
                  >
                  > Fast forward to this year. Said niece is now sixteen, and well
                  beyond
                  > the Fairy Dust stage. However, the babysitter has a four year old

                • Cat Devereaux
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                    My own glitter tale also offered as amusement...

                    When I worked on the snowflakes for my Snow Queen, I was using 4 different
                    kinds/colors of glitter to get the dimensional effects I needed. The most
                    insidious of the glitter was this very, very fine iridescent pink stuff. It
                    was as fine as the hair spray stuff, but came in full bottles.

                    It didn't mater how careful I was... the Irish Wolfhounds were taking the
                    glitter into the vets office... and while I wasn't quite getting the death
                    threats that Kate was... the people with show poodles were NOT amused about
                    the transfer from the glittery wolfhounds.

                    However, the most "dangerous" transfer was happening at work. At that time,
                    I worked in an automotive warehouse as head of IS. The thing about places
                    like that... there's very fine oily dust that's even nastier than glitter
                    about getting into everyplace. Our department would have to disassemble
                    numerous things to clean and soak components (yea, that was still the time
                    when you would have an open tray of Freon to soak these things in --- oops I
                    really just dated myself.) Well, combine the glitter and that oily dust...
                    it's almost like glue. You can't wipe up that stuff, it almost become
                    grit... but shinny grit. Add to the fact that we had all those open
                    electrons around... we were always trying to get rid of the glitter and even
                    cleaning it off each other --- which is more than a little funny in a macho
                    automotive environment.

                    So... to the best part... my assistant was 6'5", red Mohawk, much muscles,
                    skull tattoos and piercing interesting enough for the fetish mags... so
                    scary looking but very sweet. He was one of the main folks on glitter
                    patrol... so sure enough one day he goes home... with a whole strip of pink
                    glitter that we'd missed on cleanup.. (OK, that he's probably gotten from
                    my sweater while we'd been fixing a mess of computer cables that day coated
                    with that dust.... so it glued onto him.)

                    So, he goes home.. to his new girlfriend (that has an even more interesting
                    look than he does) and ever so more "interesting" hobbies. She sees the
                    whole streak of glitter across shoulder and head and goes... "and how did
                    you get all that glitter on you???"

                    He froze in his tracks because he was more than a little bit afraid of her
                    (and her hobbies) and didn't know her really well yet. He tentatively
                    goes... "er.... my boss".

                    Pause.... Big happy grin "Oooooo, what kind of project is she working
                    on???" as she does the costume thing of checking out the glitter closely and
                    noting texture and iridescence. <G>

                    Turns out that the also belong to the local costumer's guild... and didn't
                    always play big tough street punk.

                    -Cat-

                  • Cat Devereaux
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2007
                      >>And we have a new, big hairy dog (Maui) who will no
                      doubt be involved in some of the ruckus. Poor dog! (Hee-hee!!)

                      Guaranteed that the dog will stick his nose into it too see what's going on.
                      Big dog sneeze!!!!! And then you won't need glue to get that glitter to
                      stick. <G> Oh, and dog combs won't get glitter out of the coarse dog hair.
                      (Own the t-shirt on both of those.) So, give up now and just recognize that
                      the dog is going to get costumed.

                      -Cat-