Re: Brainstorming: Fabric Armor

  • fluffysoftkitty
    Message 1 of 9 , May 11 11:34 AM
      --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "bruno" <bruno@...> wrote:

      > The list has been quiet lately.
      >
      > Looking for ideas on how to make armor from cloth. Looking to
      replicate some armor normally done in plastic, but in cloth. Don't
      really want to cover the existing armor in cloth. Any ideas for ways
      to maybe use the existing armor as a mold and apply something to
      stiffen the fabric adequately to hold up without a plastic foundation.
      The existing armor isn't just flat-ish pieces, it's quite dimensional.

      What properties do you want the final piece to have? Does it need to
      be lightweight? Does it need to stay rigid, or can it be a little
      soft? Is it for show only or is someone going to be hitting you with a
      weapon?

      Are you using specific fabric you've already picked out, or are you
      flexible on materials? How are you transporting the final piece? Do
      you have room to lay it in the back seat of the car, or does it have
      to be squished into a suitcase? How much assembly are you willing to
      do on-site to get it ready to wear?

      Sorry, that's a lot of questions and not answers, but I'd need a
      better idea of where you're going before I can tell you how to get
      there. :)

      I can think of different things you can do with upholstery fabrics,
      many of those are quite stiff on their own, I once made SCA armor out
      of heavy fabric with attached metal plates in important places. There
      are iron-on interfacings that will stiffen thinner fabrics, but not
      really make them rigid.

      There's also a lot of things you can do with wire supports. Or plastic
      boning, or similar materials. Likewise, you can line the fabric with
      thin plastic or cardboard that slips into pockets in the fabric.

      If you cover the existing armor with plastic wrap, you can probably
      use fabric stiffener on a thin material and drape it. Don't know how
      that would work on very large pieces, though.

      Dawn
    • bruno
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13 8:50 PM
        Thanks for all of the ideas. I have a number of things to try if this project gets off the ground. The type of fabric to be used, and the look of that fabric is integral to the whole concept. At also needs to be rigid without any sort of sub-support structure.

        Bruno
      • Steve Swope
        Message 3 of 9 , May 14 10:05 PM
          bruno wrote:

          > Thanks for all of the ideas. I have a number of things to try if this
          > project gets off the ground. The type of fabric to be used, and the look
          > of that fabric is integral to the whole concept. At also needs to be
          > rigid without any sort of sub-support structure.
          >
          > Bruno

          Are you by any chance working in satin?

          --

          Steve Swope (aka phierma@...)