Reserve your room now for Costume-Con 26!

  • Kevin Roche
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 30, 2007
      Room reservations for Costume-Con 26 at the DoubleTree San Jose Hotel
      are now open!

      *How to reserve your room for Costume-Con 26:*
      Room rates are $92.00 for single through quad occupancy. You can to make
      reservations online at www.dtsj.com, www.doubletree.com or at
      www.hilton.com. Please use group code C26 to get the Costume-Con 26
      rate. In addition, we will soon have a link from the Costume-Con website
      to our own personalized reservations page.

      You can also make reservations by calling the Doubletree's toll free
      reservation number, 800-222-TREE (8733) or by calling the Doubletree San
      Jose directly at 408-453-4000 and mentioning Costume-Con 26.

      *Special Room Blocking Requests*
      If you want your room blocked near someone else, please have that noted
      in the comments for your reservation and then email our hotel liaison
      Dave Gallaher at hotel@... with your reservation number(s) and the
      rooms you want blocked together. Similarly, if you want a room on our
      party floor (the 2nd floor, in the wing near our Hospitality Suite),
      note it in the comments for your reservation, and email hotel@...
      with your request.

      *Suites*
      There are (a very few) parlor suites and one presidential suite
      available at the DoubleTree at our negotiated rate of $155. Most (not
      all) suites have a single king-size bed in the bedroom and a sofa bed in
      the parlor, with a second connecting bedroom available for the cost of
      the additional room. All of the suites are on the 9th and 10th
      (concierge) floors which have restricted access; in particular, there
      are no suites on the party floor. The rooms at the DoubleTree are quite
      large; you may find a pair of connecting guest rooms a reasonable
      alternative to a suite. The reservations system does not properly
      reflect our negotiated suite rate: if you want to reserve a suite, email
      Dave Gallaher at hotel@... with your request; and he will handle
      them on a first-come, first-served basis.

      Feel free to repost or forward this announcement in its entirety!

      Kevin Roche
      Chair, Costume-Con 26
    • Lisa A Ashton
      Message 2 of 19 , May 16, 2007
        Still having trouble reserving a room--the website is still showing that
        "this group rate is unavailable"; then, when I Called the toll-free
        number to book by phone, the clerk at central reservations is telling me
        that Sunday night unavailable. Which I find difficult to believe. So
        now I"m on hold, and hopefully we can get this sorted out.

        NOW they are telling me that there is no availability for Monday night.
        So what's up? We need to get this ceared up.

        Yours in costuming, Lisa A>
      • Lisa A Ashton
        Message 3 of 19 , May 16, 2007
          Okay, now I'm really frustrated---on the phone, the Doubletree is telling
          me that they have Thurs.-Sunday night available at the con rate with 2
          queen beds, but since there is no availability for the queen beds on
          Monday night, it will have to revert to the regular (king bed) rate of
          $359.00 for the Monday night . I've never heard anything so ridiculous.
          And I"ve not had so much difficulty reserving a room before.

          Can someone help me please? It was on this list that there were lots of
          rooms and plenty of rooms in our block with a king bed. What gives?

          Yours in costuming, Lisa A,.
        • Andrew T Trembley
          Message 4 of 19 , May 16, 2007
            On May 16, 2007, at 1:55 PM, Lisa A Ashton wrote:
            > Can someone help me please? It was on this list that there were
            > lots of
            > rooms and plenty of rooms in our block with a king bed. What gives?

            I've forwarded your notes to hotel@cc26, and anything like that
            should be sent to the hotel address. If you haven't heard anything
            back, you can send nag-o-grams and cc them to chair@cc26.

            Dave had the latest room pick-up report on Monday, and according to
            the report we've got plenty of rooms each night, so it's got to
            (still) be a data error in the reservation system. The details you
            provided should be helpful in diagnosing the actual problem.

            andy
          • Lisa A Ashton
            Message 5 of 19 , May 16, 2007
              Okay--I called the hotel directly. the final situation is: There are NO
              I REPEAT NO rooms available at the con rate for Sunday night. So they
              are planning to charge me the rate of $189 for that night, then the rate
              jumps back down to $92 for Monday night.

              Go figure. Kevin or Andy--is there anything we can do about this? I
              have trouble believing that for some crazy reason, people have been
              booking only for Sunday nights and used up our entire room block.

              Yours in cosutming, Lisa A>
            • Kevin Roche
              Message 6 of 19 , May 16, 2007
                Dave Gallaher (our hotel liaison) is working on this right now with the
                DoubleTree. Our contract is quite clear and there are supposed to be
                plenty of both types of rooms from 3 days before to 3 days after the
                convention dates.
                Unfortunately, apparently whichever minions at Hilton coded our block
                into the DoubleTree reservation system got it wrong. Dave is working
                with our DT representative to sort it out. We'll post again as soon as
                it is all working.

                This is A MISTAKE in the reservation coding; for reference, the only
                rooms which were really restricted in number were the suites because the
                hotel has so few of them, and some were already reserved for official
                convention use.

                Dave will sort this out and we'll let everyone know as soon as it's fixed.

                Kevin

                Lisa A Ashton wrote:
                > Okay, now I'm really frustrated---on the phone, the Doubletree is telling
                > me that they have Thurs.-Sunday night available at the con rate with 2
                > queen beds, but since there is no availability for the queen beds on
                > Monday night, it will have to revert to the regular (king bed) rate of
                > $359.00 for the Monday night . I've never heard anything so ridiculous.
                > And I"ve not had so much difficulty reserving a room before.
                >
                > Can someone help me please? It was on this list that there were lots of
                > rooms and plenty of rooms in our block with a king bed. What gives?
                >
                > Yours in costuming, Lisa A,.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Lisa A Ashton
                Message 7 of 19 , May 16, 2007
                  Well, I went ahead and reserved, because I got quite concerned. I would
                  be very appreciative, if I could call them back (or better yet, they
                  could call ME) and get my reservation re-done correctly, so I know for
                  certain that I am paying the con rate for all of the nights, instead of
                  having one night cost more than twice as much.

                  I really tried to convince them, even spoke to management; but they
                  insisted that they could only book it with what came up on the computer.

                  On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:37:04 -0700 Kevin Roche <kevin@...>
                  writes:
                  > Dave Gallaher (our hotel liaison) is working on this right now with
                  > the
                  > DoubleTree. Our contract is quite clear and there are supposed to be
                  >
                  > plenty of both types of rooms from 3 days before to 3 days after the
                  >
                  > convention dates.
                  > Unfortunately, apparently whichever minions at Hilton coded our
                  > block
                  > into the DoubleTree reservation system got it wrong. Dave is working
                  >
                  > with our DT representative to sort it out. We'll post again as soon
                  > as
                  > it is all working.
                  >
                  > This is A MISTAKE in the reservation coding; for reference, the only
                  >
                  > rooms which were really restricted in number were the suites because
                  > the
                  > hotel has so few of them, and some were already reserved for
                  > official
                  > convention use.
                  >
                  > Dave will sort this out and we'll let everyone know as soon as it's
                  > fixed.
                  >
                  > Kevin
                  >
                  > Lisa A Ashton wrote:
                  > > Okay, now I'm really frustrated---on the phone, the Doubletree is
                  > telling
                  > > me that they have Thurs.-Sunday night available at the con rate
                  > with 2
                  > > queen beds, but since there is no availability for the queen beds
                  > on
                  > > Monday night, it will have to revert to the regular (king bed)
                  > rate of
                  > > $359.00 for the Monday night . I've never heard anything so
                  > ridiculous.
                  > > And I"ve not had so much difficulty reserving a room before.
                  > >
                  > > Can someone help me please? It was on this list that there were
                  > lots of
                  > > rooms and plenty of rooms in our block with a king bed. What
                  > gives?
                  > >
                  > > Yours in costuming, Lisa A,.
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Kevin Roche
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 16, 2007
                    OK, for clarification for everybody:

                    If something like this happens to you, send email to hotel@... .
                    That email goes straight to our hotel liaison.
                    Include your reservation number, and what you were *trying* to get vs
                    what the hotel said they had for you.

                    A big part of Dave's role is to iron out these problems, especially when
                    the hotel has told him they are supposedly fixed. He's already working
                    on several. If he has your reservation number, he can get the rates
                    fixed once the room block configuration errors are sorted out.

                    BTW, Dave is somewhat bemused that enough people wanted to reserve right
                    away so we discovered the problems so quickly; apparently Costume-Con
                    attendees plan further in advance than many other convention attendees.

                    We apologize for the consternation and frustration some folks are
                    experiencing, and we're working diligently to get it all sorted out as
                    soon as possible.

                    Kevin
                    CC26 Chair

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 16, 2007
                      On May 16, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Lisa A Ashton wrote:
                      > Well, I went ahead and reserved, because I got quite concerned. I
                      > would
                      > be very appreciative, if I could call them back (or better yet, they
                      > could call ME) and get my reservation re-done correctly, so I know for
                      > certain that I am paying the con rate for all of the nights,
                      > instead of
                      > having one night cost more than twice as much.
                      >
                      > I really tried to convince them, even spoke to management; but they
                      > insisted that they could only book it with what came up on the
                      > computer.

                      Send your reservation confirmation code to hotel@cc26. Dave can use
                      this information to show our sales rep exactly what's happening, and
                      probably get it fixed for you without any more intervention on your
                      part.

                      andy
                    • von_drago
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 16, 2007
                        On the other hand, I had no problem at all reserving on line back on
                        May 2nd.
                        I went to the groups section of the reservation areaand was able to
                        enter the group code with no problem, got exactly what I wanted.
                        Go figure.

                        Nora
                        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Roche <kevin@...> wrote:

                        > OK, for clarification for everybody:
                        >
                        > If something like this happens to you, send email to hotel@... .
                        > That email goes straight to our hotel liaison.
                        > Include your reservation number, and what you were *trying* to get
                        vs
                        > what the hotel said they had for you.
                        >
                        > A big part of Dave's role is to iron out these problems, especially
                        when
                        > the hotel has told him they are supposedly fixed. He's already
                        working
                        > on several. If he has your reservation number, he can get the rates
                        > fixed once the room block configuration errors are sorted out.
                        >
                        > BTW, Dave is somewhat bemused that enough people wanted to reserve
                        right
                        > away so we discovered the problems so quickly; apparently Costume-
                        Con
                        > attendees plan further in advance than many other convention
                        attendees.

                        > We apologize for the consternation and frustration some folks are
                        > experiencing, and we're working diligently to get it all sorted out
                        as
                        > soon as possible.
                        >
                        > Kevin
                        > CC26 Chair
                        >
                        > Lisa A Ashton wrote:
                        > > Well, I went ahead and reserved, because I got quite concerned.
                        I would
                        > > be very appreciative, if I could call them back (or better yet,
                        they
                        > > could call ME) and get my reservation re-done correctly, so I
                        know for
                        > > certain that I am paying the con rate for all of the nights,
                        instead of
                        > > having one night cost more than twice as much.

                      • David Demonja
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 17, 2007
                          Hi All-

                          When I called last Thursday I was told not only were there no Monday
                          rooms but the block was FULL!!!!!!!!

                          Becky D

                        • Betsy Delaney
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 17, 2007
                            Hi, all!

                            Might I humbly (but firmly) suggest that folks address CC26 hotel issues
                            to hotel@... (Dave's direct address) as per Kevin and Andy's
                            of time, sending follow-up mail to Kevin would then be appropriate.

                            It's the Hotel Liaison's job to deal with reservation issues. He's the
                            one who helped create the contract in the first place, and the first one
                            to hit the hotel over the head with a hammer if something goes wrong.

                            It's the Con Chair's job to deal with committee members who aren't doing
                            their jobs (and it sounds to me like Dave's doing his best to fix the
                            problem).

                            Andy and Kevin have several times nicely said that hotel problems
                            associated with CC26 should go directly to the Hotel Liaison. Kevin and
                            Andy have also both promised to tell this list when the problems have
                            been fixed.

                            Please - I'm begging - address those issues offlist to the appropriate
                            recipients? Please? Pretty please?

                            Thanks!!!

                            Betsy

                            Betsy Delaney
                          • Andrew T Trembley
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 17, 2007
                              On May 17, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Becky Demonja wrote:
                              > Hi All-
                              >
                              > When I called last Thursday I was told not only were there no
                              > Monday
                              > rooms but the block was FULL!!!!!!!!

                              I only wish. I've seen the room pick-up reports, and while we're
                              thrilled with the numbers we're running already (particularly with
                              the screw-ups and the reservations we know we don't have yet because
                              of them) we're not anywhere near full on *any* nights, much less for
                              the whole block.

                              For everybody out there: Since there appears to be some real chaos in
                              Hilton's reservation system (which Dave is scrambling to get the
                              Doubletree to correct), I'm going to ask you to collect the following
                              information to help Dave get things fixed:

                              1. What is your arrival date, and what is your departure date?
                              2. Are you reserving a king room or a double-queen?
                              3. Did you attempt to reserve through the website (and which one?
                              <http://www.dtsj.com/>, <http://www.doubletree.com/> or <http://
                              www.hilton.com>?)
                              4. Did you attempt to reserve by phone (and which number? 800-222-
                              TREE or 408-453-4000?)? Did you get the name of the agent you spoke
                              with?
                              5. What day(s) are the problem?
                              6. Did you reserve anyway at the wrong rate? What name is the room
                              under? What's your confirmation #?

                              Please send this information directly to hotel@...
                              (particularly if you're sending a confirmation #; you don't want
                              anybody else to have that information).

                              If you don't get a response back from Dave, email Kevin at chair@cc26
                              and let him know.

                              ...and, by the way, thank you to everybody who is making reservations
                              early and discovering these problems. We would much rather be seeing
                              this now, when it's easy to fix and when a week or two's delay isn't
                              the difference between having a room and not having a room. The early
                              pick-up strengthens Dave's negotiating position when it comes to
                              improving the contract and makes it much easier for all of our
                              departments to make plans.

                              andy
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 17, 2007
                                We too, would like some service, which we have not seen from this hotel so far. As you know, we were denied a room for Monday night. We would prefer to leave on Tuesday; however, right now, we'll have to leave sometime on Monday, which makes us unhappy. :(

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 17, 2007
                                  You may be unique!

                                  --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ICG-D@yahoogroups.com>, Kevin Roche <kevin@...> wrote:

                                  > OK, for clarification for everybody:
                                  >
                                  > If something like this happens to you, send email to hotel@... .
                                  > That email goes straight to our hotel liaison.
                                  > Include your reservation number, and what you were *trying* to get
                                  vs
                                  > what the hotel said they had for you.
                                  >
                                  > A big part of Dave's role is to iron out these problems, especially
                                  when
                                  > the hotel has told him they are supposedly fixed. He's already
                                  working
                                  > on several. If he has your reservation number, he can get the rates
                                  > fixed once the room block configuration errors are sorted out.
                                  >
                                  > BTW, Dave is somewhat bemused that enough people wanted to reserve
                                  right
                                  > away so we discovered the problems so quickly; apparently Costume-
                                  Con
                                  > attendees plan further in advance than many other convention
                                  attendees.

                                  > We apologize for the consternation and frustration some folks are
                                  > experiencing, and we're working diligently to get it all sorted out
                                  as
                                  > soon as possible.
                                  >
                                  > Kevin
                                  > CC26 Chair
                                  >
                                  > Lisa A Ashton wrote:
                                  > > Well, I went ahead and reserved, because I got quite concerned.
                                  I would
                                  > > be very appreciative, if I could call them back (or better yet,
                                  they
                                  > > could call ME) and get my reservation re-done correctly, so I
                                  know for
                                  > > certain that I am paying the con rate for all of the nights,
                                  instead of
                                  > > having one night cost more than twice as much.

                                • Don Glover
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 18, 2007
                                    The only problem with this plan being getting a reply back.
                                    --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Betsy Delaney <bdelaney@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi, all!
                                    >
                                    > Might I humbly (but firmly) suggest that folks address CC26 hotel
                                    issues
                                    > to hotel@... (Dave's direct address) as per Kevin and Andy's
                                    [snip]
                                  • Betsy Delaney
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 18, 2007
                                      Don Glover wrote:
                                      > The only problem with this plan being getting a reply back.

                                      At which point you should contact Kevin off list. Kevin doesn't bite and
                                      he does answer email!

                                      It may well be that Dave is still trying to resolve the issue, and he's
                                      waiting until it's fixed. I can understand that! A lot of techies work
                                      that way, too.

                                      (I'm waiting to make my reservations until Kevin has given the all clear.)

                                      Seriously! What are we accomplishing by taking these things to the D
                                      list, really?

                                      Think about it...

                                      Cheers,

                                      Betsy

                                      Betsy Delaney

                                      See my resume at: http://www.hawkeswood.com/betsywork.shtml
                                    • Kevin Roche
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 18, 2007
                                        I have asked Dave to send anyone who emailed him with problems a brief
                                        status report. I've also asked him for a list of names of the people
                                        with problems so I can see if someone on this list is missing from his
                                        list (in case there was an email glitch).

                                        If you haven't heard from him soon (a couple of days; he has an
                                        elementary school teacher wife and he has to help her do the end of the
                                        school-year cleanup, plus we are all coping with the chaos that is
                                        BayCon, our big regional con), email *ME* at chair@... and I will
                                        make sure he got your message.

                                        Unfortunately, maneuvering the Hilton Corporation Reservations IT
                                        Department is much like steering the Titanic. It takes a long time for
                                        the course change to become apparent. We *will* get this fixed. You may
                                        not recall, but it took a few weeks to sort out the reservations bugs
                                        that occurred for both CC24 and CC25.

                                        Dave is not subscribed to ICG-D, so venting here only gets to him via
                                        forwarding from Andy and me, and raising Betsy's blood pressure, as well :-)

                                        Kevin

                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 18, 2007
                                          Yeah, it seems like most CCs have some sort of minor glitch with
                                          reservations. Could be cause the con moves each year & has to set up a
                                          new hotel relationship, unlike cons that stay in one place year after
                                          year?
                                          I'm sure it will work out fine; no pointin anyone's blood pressure
                                          going up this far in advance - you've got months yet for that to happen
                                          <g>.