Re: [ICG-D] Arisia Masquerade final public report

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      On Wednesday, January 24, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Jill Eastlake wrote:

      > Hello Masqueraders
      >
      > My final report is now posted to the Arisia website for your enjoyment.
      >
      > The report can be viewed at
      > http://2007.arisia.org/MasqueradeReport2007.

      Foo! I tried this link and got an Arisia page that said:

      Page not found

      This is not the page you are looking for.
      Try using the Force to search for it: <textbox>

    • Richard A. Hill
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
        I also tried the link
        http://2007.arisia.org/MasqueradeReport2007
        and got the same error

        so I went to
        http://2007.arisia.org/Masquerade
        and then clicked on the shortcut at the top of the page
        "Jill's <http://2007.arisia.org//MasqueradeReport2007>Arisia '07
        Masquerade Report "
        and that brought me to the report you are looking for, and, which
        actually shows that it is the URL we started looking for.

        I think there is a bad pointer on the page, and I will bet that
        shortly after this message is seen it will be found and corrected

        Richard the First

        At 03:16 AM 2/1/2007, you wrote:

        >On Wednesday, January 24, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Jill Eastlake wrote:
        >
        > > Hello Masqueraders
        > >
        > > My final report is now posted to the Arisia website for your enjoyment.
        > >
        > > The report can be viewed at
        > >
        > <http://2007.arisia.org/MasqueradeReport2007.>http://2007.arisia.org/MasqueradeReport2007.
        >
        >Foo! I tried this link and got an Arisia page that said:
        >
        >Page not found
        >
        >This is not the page you are looking for.
        >Try using the Force to search for it: <textbox>
        >
        >Until later--
        >
        >Carole

      • Sharon Sbarsky
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
          <geek>
          Wearing my web geek hat, not my Arisia '07 Masquerade Assistant hat...

          The problem isn't a bad pointer on the page, but email mail clients that
          can't distinguish punctuation from URLs.

          On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Richard A. Hill wrote:

          > Carole
          > I also tried the link http://2007.arisia.org/MasqueradeReport2007 and got the same error

          See the difference? ;-)

          But I'll bet that Richard also tried to click on the link in the email,
          not type the URL himself...

          > I think there is a bad pointer on the page, and I will bet that
          > shortly after this message is seen it will be found and corrected
          >
          > Richard the First

          There's nothing for the web folk at Arisia to fix since the page and the
          URL is correct.

          This is why, when I send emails containing URLs, I'll put the URL on it's
          own line, or in the middle of the sentence. If it has to end a sentence,
          or have other punctuation after the URL, I'd rather leave it out, or
          insert a space.

          Please should test the two versions above, and if the one with the period
          causes you to have 404 errors, then be aware of this stupid glitch, and if
          you ever see the problem again, simply remove the period (or other
          punctuation) from the location bar in your browser.

          </geek>

          Sharon
        • Jill Eastlake
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
            Hi,

            I tried it just now. It doesn¹t work directly. But, if you look on the
            left and follow the Masquerade link, you can get there.

            Sorry.

            Jill

            On 2/1/07 3:16 AM, "Carole Parker" <mscip@...> wrote:

            > On Wednesday, January 24, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Jill Eastlake wrote:
            >
            >> > Hello Masqueraders
            >> >
            >> > My final report is now posted to the Arisia website for your enjoyment.
            >> >
            >> > The report can be viewed at
            >> > http://2007.arisia.org/MasqueradeReport2007.
            >
            > Foo! I tried this link and got an Arisia page that said:
            >
            > Page not found
            >
            > This is not the page you are looking for.
            > Try using the Force to search for it: <textbox>
            >
            > Until later--
            >
            > Carole

          • John Francini
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
              I still do it the old-fashioned way and enclose the URL in <angle
              brackets>. That seems to work for most e-mail parsers.

              For example: <http://2007.arisia.org/MasqueradeReport2007>

              john

              On 1 Feb 2007, at 9:26, Sharon Sbarsky wrote:

              > <geek>
              > Wearing my web geek hat, not my Arisia '07 Masquerade Assistant hat...
              >
              > The problem isn't a bad pointer on the page, but email mail clients
              > that
              > can't distinguish punctuation from URLs.
              >
              > Jill wrote:
              >
              > > The report can be viewed at http://2007.arisia.org/
              > MasqueradeReport2007.
              >
              > On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Richard A. Hill wrote:
              >
              > > Carole
              > > I also tried the link http://2007.arisia.org/MasqueradeReport2007
              > and got the same error
              > >

              > See the difference? ;-)
              >
              > But I'll bet that Richard also tried to click on the link in the
              > email,
              > not type the URL himself...
              >
              > > I think there is a bad pointer on the page, and I will bet that
              > > shortly after this message is seen it will be found and corrected
              > >
              > > Richard the First
              > >

              > There's nothing for the web folk at Arisia to fix since the page
              > and the
              > URL is correct.
              >
              > This is why, when I send emails containing URLs, I'll put the URL
              > on it's
              > own line, or in the middle of the sentence. If it has to end a
              > sentence,
              > or have other punctuation after the URL, I'd rather leave it out, or
              > insert a space.
              >
              > Please should test the two versions above, and if the one with the
              > period
              > causes you to have 404 errors, then be aware of this stupid glitch,
              > and if
              > you ever see the problem again, simply remove the period (or other
              > punctuation) from the location bar in your browser.
              >
              > </geek>
              >
              > Sharon

            • Richard A. Hill
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
                Hmmm - well, wearing my geek fedora Sharon - I do not disagree with
                you on the mystery period - it will create the error.
                Which, ... is why last night after I clicked on the
                link (with the period that I did not notice), I also typed it in
                freehand and without a period- and got the same result - bad page
                This evening after reading your email (and feeling foolish for not
                noticing the period), I typed it in again freehand - and voila - it worked
                so-
                If you did not make any changes, then something was going on ... then
                again - it's working now and if it ain't broke ...

                As long as we can read it - I'm not complaining.

                lack of periodicals not withstanding

                Richard