Re: [ICG-D] LosCon 2006 photos are up

  • bruno
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
      I would say it is at the discretion of the art show director as to what he/she allows in the show. At our local cons, we regularly have a guy hangs nature photos of birds and squirrels and stuff. While it's not SF, the directors feel that as long as it's selling, hence making the con money, and he pays for the panel, he can hang whatever he wants.

      Bruno

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
        On Monday, December 4, 2006, at 02:39 PM, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        wrote:

        > At 05:12 AM 12/2/2006, you wrote:
        >
        > Great!
        >
        > I'm going to issue a query you'll likely see often from me. Does
        > anyone have the running order, credits and awards for Loscon?

        I *did* but I pulled a stupid. As I was packing to go home, "what's
        this con newsletter for? I don't need it. Toss." Duh moment realized
        when I was home and couldn't find the masquerade information. My
        apologies for the dumb move.

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
          On Monday, December 4, 2006, at 09:11 PM, Richard wrote:

          > [...] John Hurt, who had a special exhibit area on
          > WorldCon masquerade entry out in the hall, raised the question that
          > some
          > art show directors may have a problem with plain costume photography
          > in the
          > art show. This is of course a tricky question.

          You know, different art shows handle it differently. When in doubt, ask
          the art show director for the particular convention that you're
          thinking of entering. They'll let you know.

          > I can sidestep the problems
          > easily enough by making some modification to the photographs, e.g.
          > adding
          > wings or special effects or whatnots, but that detracts our wishes to
          > promote costuming and costume photography per se.

          I'd be uncomfortable about the images being mucked with. I think it
          would undo that which we're trying to encourage: getting people
          interested in costuming and taking costume photographs.

          > Anyone has comments or suggestions on how best to handle this?

          The basic rule applies: When in doubt, ask.

        • randwhit@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
            In a message dated 12/4/2006 10:56:46 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
            cgalway@... writes:

            One idea is to shoot a good costume photo, but then photo-shop it onto an
            appropriate background. That might be a way to make it more art-show
            appropriate.

            Charles

            ________________

            Take a look at _www.southwestcostumersguild.org_
            (http://www.southwestcostumersguild.org) for an example of this.

            Mike Cassidy took a photo of a bunch of us in Victorian at a con, then
            changed the background to an elegant dining room.

            Randalll

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
              Each art show director sets his or her own rules, just as each masquerade director does. Just go with them. If the director accepts un-retouched photos, fine. If not, you have to decide whether the modifications needed to enter would distort what you are trying to do.

              At 02:39 PM 12/4/2006, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger wrote:
              >At 05:12 AM 12/2/2006, you wrote:
              >
              >Great!
              >
              >I'm going to issue a query you'll likely see often from me. Does
              >anyone have the running order, credits and awards for Loscon?

              Sent MD's email offlist to ya...

              BTW (and the reason I am responding here...) I took your suggestions and
              entered the Art show with almost a dozen photos and a promo sheet on myself
              ("Hey Concom, hire me!" :-) ) and a sentence or two on the ICG, SiliconWeb,
              Costume Con etc. They are very well received. So I may go ahead and try to

              use richard at imagecraft.com)