Re: Clothing Sighs (Was Bra Sighs)

  • ARD
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
      I'm a little late, but I always get behind on e-mail when I'm away for the
      holidays.

      As far as I can tell, any body that has curves in it has fitting issues.
      :) I generally don't have problems with pants, skirts or tops, but since
      the top of me is 2-3 sizes smaller than the bottom of me, then I buy
      dresses larger than I need to make sure they fit everywhere. In general, I
      look for clothes that minimize my basic pear shape, and my proportionally
      short legs. It can work wonders. You won't catch me in a low neckline, a
      top or dress with straight sides. Or white pants....unless it's a Jedi
      costume, but only that....

      Thinking of sizing in general.....my aunt recommended a book called "Color
      Me Beautiful". It's a fashion book for women; there is a version for men,
      but according to amazon, it's out of print. It categories everyone into 4
      color groups. The author insists that everyone fits into only one of these
      groups, but I have a feeling that if someone has clashing hair color and
      skin tone, the rule might not be that firm. However, the 4 color groups
      are a reasonable place to start.

      The later chapters of this book talk about which cuts of clothes produce
      the effect you want, such as which things make shoulders look wider or
      narrower, waists longer or shorter, how to minimize a large bust,
      etc. It's a very handy reference. Since the copyright on this book is
      1980 and it's still in print, others here must have seen it, but I was
      reading it last weekend and saw a lot handy clothing rules in general, some
      of which I've already been using. :)

      At 11:59 AM 11/22/2006 +0000, you wrote:
      > > The only reason why I have any figure at all is because my hips are 10
      > > in.
      > > bigger than my waist.
      >
      > From what I understand, that's a classic design shape. If I could have
      >a 10 inch differential between my waist and hips, I would be really,
      >really happy. That would mean that I was in outstanding shape.
      >
      >I've seen you look very good in the stuff that you wear, so I'm rather
      >surprised that you have an issue, since ready made clothes, as I
      >understand it, are made for a ten inch waist-hip differential.
      >
      >One thing that I know about my body: I can't wear cheaply made
      >clothing. They don't hang right on me, and they always look bad. To
      >look decent, I have to pay more because people really look down on a
      >woman with a full-figured body looking like she's wearing clothing too
      >small for her.

      The United States is a secular nation.
      -- Anne Davenport kjaneway@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
        On Monday, December 4, 2006, at 09:42 PM, ARD wrote:

        > Thinking of sizing in general.....my aunt recommended a book called
        > "Color
        > Me Beautiful". It's a fashion book for women; there is a version for
        > men,
        > but according to amazon, it's out of print. It categories everyone
        > into 4
        > color groups. The author insists that everyone fits into only one of
        > these
        > groups, but I have a feeling that if someone has clashing hair color
        > and
        > skin tone, the rule might not be that firm. However, the 4 color groups
        > are a reasonable place to start.

        I have that book, also. I think I would modify my recommendation to
        read "this is a great book for women of the caucasian race." Other
        books have come out geared to women of color, but I don't have those
        books since I did not personally need them. Color Me Beautiful does
        touch on other races, but not enough. For example, she places a lot of
        blacks in the "winter" scheme of things, but not all black women fit
        that color scheme.

        If you're a woman of color, Color Me Beautiful is probably going to be
        disappointing to you. If you're caucasian, it's a great book.

        > The later chapters of this book talk about which cuts of clothes
        > produce
        > the effect you want, such as which things make shoulders look wider or
        > narrower, waists longer or shorter, how to minimize a large bust,
        > etc. It's a very handy reference. Since the copyright on this book is
        > 1980 and it's still in print, others here must have seen it, but I was
        > reading it last weekend and saw a lot handy clothing rules in general,
        > some
        > of which I've already been using. :)

        Actually, while it gives basic information, the book that I've really
        found valuable is the HOAX Fashion Book. Now, that one is very, very
        useful. Thing is, it's out of print, also. If you do find that book,
        grab it. Ignore the section(s) about hair styles and makeup, but
        everything else applies. What's really nice about this book is the
        simple line drawings in the back of the book that show which lines and
        styles work on which bodies.