Re: [ICG-D] Why the Masquerades are Small Today

  • Susan Stringer
    Message 1 of 52 , Apr 1, 2002

      > >The other problem that we ran into here, was that Fiona and her old
      > >costuming parter, Joe Phillips, were asked to not compete "because it
      wasn't
      > >fair to the other entrants" since they had a tendency to win a lot.

      It was Joe himself who made that comment. To quit the masquerades because
      there was, "No more competition."
      This decision came, incidentally, after we took Best In Show over him at the
      '94 DragonCon.
      Jeff Stringer

    • Ricky & Karen Dick
      Message 52 of 52 , Apr 5, 2002
        At 09:43 PM 4/4/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >Unfortunately, no one else from the groups with whom they usually costume
        >even showed up at the con.

        An unfortunate side effect when the group leader is the driving force that
        makes the others costume.

        >Some people have blamed the September 11 mass murders and others have said
        >that the economy was a cause of the poor turnout. I wonder if that's true.

        I know that September 11 had a serious financial impact on me personally
        (20% loss in income the last quarter of 2001), and countless others around
        the country. Often, the cost of attending a convention (travel, hotel,
        food) is worse than the cost of putting a costume together (I'm sure I
        could compete for *years* if I put my mind to it and used my fabric stash
        in a creative manner). And, frankly, it took a few months for people to
        decide that it was OK to have fun again.

        I think this year is going to be an "off" year for conventions, even though
        the economy seems to be picking up. We just attended the big Halloween
        trade show in Chicago (aka TransWorld Halloween, Party, Gift, and Costume
        Show), and attendance was off 30%, and sales by most vendors were off 50%
        or more.

        >I'm not in New England, so what little I could do in the month before the
        >con was by remote control. (I won't be doing it again next year.)

        Running a large event by remote control is very, very difficult, even if
        you are intimately familiar with the hotel or other venue. Might be helped
        if the long-distance Masquerade Director has an extremely competent and
        knowledgeable "lieutenant" who is local.

        --Karen