National Chapter Question

  • Dana MacDermott
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2000
      Once again: Is there any currently existing rule that will prevent a new
      chapter from forming if that chapter does not plan to hold meetings?
      Once formed, that chapter could decide on its own whether to keep in touch
      by email, or to employ the alternatives of a newsletter that could be
      mailed to those who don't have email (that request would require first
      class mail postage), and an electronic form for those who do. Obviously,
      such a chapter would be designed to collect membership fees and turn around
      and give them to the ICG, thereby sparing the treasurer from having to keep
      two kinds of records. These types of choices would be up to the new
      chapter, not the D-list.
      Since one can join any chapter, no matter where it is located, what is
      stopping the chapter of no fixed abode from forming right now? Does anyone
      actually want to do it, or just to discuss it?
      I am interested in the ICG as an Educational Organization (but definitely
      NOT in heavy politics and personality cliques). It is for this reason
      that I would be interested in helping to form the new chapter. Anyone else?

      It has been my opinion all along that having the newsletter or journal is
      the only thing that makes the national/international organization into a
      community. It is also key to being an Educational Organization. Having an
      optional newsletter is throwing away the organization's function and
      identity. I obviously also think that the membership should be increased
      to include and cover the Quarterly.
      Dana MacDermott
    • Elaine Mami
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2000
        Dana,

        I've always liked you! Your logical approach is refreshing.

        Elaine

        http://profiles.msn.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2000
          Dana --

          Nothing in either the Bylaws or the Standing Rules requires a
          chapter to hold meetings. The Bylaws do require that a chapter
          have a "defined geographic area."

          Byron

          >>> bndmacd@... 11/07/00 06:32PM >>>

        • callisto@netlabs.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2000
            From the outline I threw out to y'all a couple of Saturdays ago:

            3.1 Institute a Chapter Without Boundaries
            3.1.2 Nothing prevents a group from applying for
            a chapter in a defined geographic area with the express
            purpose of offering others without a local chapter an
            alternative.

            If someone living in a remote area, let's say Montana, wanted to
            start a chapter of the ICG with five of their on-line or local
            costuming friends, why would they be told no? And then, why couldn't
            they go on-line to find more costuming friends to expand their
            chapter?

            There would be some logistics involved, but if the chapter handled
            them internally, is that the ICG's problem?

            Someone mentioned a possible drawback to this virtual chapter's
            members though:

            3.1.3 Members' actual existence could be called into
            question.

            Sharon Trembley

            --- In ICG-D@egroups.com, "Byron Connell" <bconnell@M...> wrote:
            > Dana --
            >
            > Nothing in either the Bylaws or the Standing Rules requires a
            > chapter to hold meetings. The Bylaws do require that a chapter
            > have a "defined geographic area."
            >
            > Byron

          • John O'Halloran
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2000
              << Tongue firmly in cheek >>

              We, the undersigned, request affiliation with the
              International CostumersÂ’ Guild as the Fremont Costumers' Guild,
              also known as Ohana TyeDye representing our house. Our chapter
              mailing address is (Address). Our officers are listed below.
              Attached is a list of our members. Please advise us if we have
              been accepted. Signed (at least six members, including Officers).

              Me, myself, I, Chris, Punkin & KitKat

              Pres: Me (cause I started it)
              VP: KitKat (cause she's the dumb one)
              Treas: Chris (cause she can count)
              Sec: Punkin (cause she's the talkative one)

              Enclosed is a check for $6 (no one is getting the CQ)

              << Remove tongue from cheek >>

              Skipping the waiting steps, that's all that's needed.

              JohnO
            • John O'Halloran
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2000
                callisto@... wrote:

                > 3.1.3 Members' actual existence could be called into
                > question.

                And the difference from verifying the existence of members
                for a landed LC is?

                JohnO
              • callisto@netlabs.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2000
                  John,

                  I culled that from this list. I personally think it's fairly minor.

                  Sharon

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2000
                    At 10:04 PM 11/8/00 +0000, you wrote:
                    > From the outline I threw out to y'all a couple of Saturdays ago:
                    >
                    > 3.1 Institute a Chapter Without Boundaries
                    > 3.1.2 Nothing prevents a group from applying for
                    > a chapter in a defined geographic area with the express
                    > purpose of offering others without a local chapter an
                    > alternative.
                    >
                    >If someone living in a remote area, let's say Montana, wanted to
                    >start a chapter of the ICG with five of their on-line or local
                    >costuming friends, why would they be told no? And then, why couldn't
                    >they go on-line to find more costuming friends to expand their
                    >chapter?
                    >
                    >There would be some logistics involved, but if the chapter handled
                    >them internally, is that the ICG's problem?

                    Technically, a person in Montana could create a chapter with 5 other
                    individuals, none of whom live in Montana. However the currently this
                    individual define their new chapter as the geographic area of Montana (or
                    whatever).

                    Pierre
                  • JPSyms@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2000
                      In a message dated 11/08/2000 4:11:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      bconnell@... writes:

                      > Dana --
                      >
                      > Nothing in either the Bylaws or the Standing Rules requires a
                      > chapter to hold meetings. The Bylaws do require that a chapter
                      > have a "defined geographic area."
                      >
                      > Byron

                      So make the defined area "All land surfaces within the orbit of the moon
                      that are not claimed by other chapters."
                    • randwhit@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 10, 2000
                        In a message dated 11/9/00 6:12:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
                        JPSyms@... writes:

                        > > Nothing in either the Bylaws or the Standing Rules requires a
                        > > chapter to hold meetings. The Bylaws do require that a chapter
                        > > have a "defined geographic area."
                        > >
                        > > Byron
                        > >
                        > So make the defined area "All land surfaces within the orbit of the
                        moon

                        > that are not claimed by other chapters."

                        Might be less conflict if you just make it the ZIP code area of the chapter's
                        mailing address, then accept and encourage long-range members.

                        Randall