Re: [ICG-D] Re: Nudity on stage

  • medic117@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
      Elaine,

      We brought the house down at philcon and did not get a prize

      Jay

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
        On Friday, September 1, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Julie Zetterberg Sardo
        wrote:

        > --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine Mami" <ecmami@...> wrote:
        > > Somewhere there
        > > must be pictures..........
        >
        > If only there was some sort of archive...

        We're working on it. ;-)

        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
          On Friday, September 1, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Richard wrote:

          > Heh, not that *we* would be offended or anything ourselves (being
          > pagan and
          > all), but I wonder, for the people who are uptight about this sort of
          > thing, would they be as offended about some realistic "naughty" bits
          > as the
          > actual thing itself?

          Some might be - especially if it looks realistic. People get all
          uptight about it, especially during the daytime hours. Now, if you did
          it at a midnight gathering that was "adults only" or had an R rating, I
          suspect people would not mind.

          > How about photos? If the photos do not have explanations, it may look
          > "too"
          > realistic. Would they violate some sort of anti-nudity laws somewhere?

          Probably. Can you imagine taking those photos to a photo lab? I think
          most people who do nude photography wind up developing the film
          themselves.

        • Julie Zetterberg Sardo
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
            On the other hand, if memory serves me, at that same Worldcon there was
            a young woman in some sort of very revealing spiderwebby hall costume,
            and the hotel management asked her to cover up or stay out of the
            public areas.

            But I may be misremembering both the venue and situation.

            --Julie ZS
          • fluffysoftkitty
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
              --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Carole Parker <mscip@...> wrote:

              > On Friday, September 1, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Richard wrote:
              >

              > Probably. Can you imagine taking those photos to a photo lab? I think
              > most people who do nude photography wind up developing the film
              > themselves.

              In my experience it's the smaller pro-photo shops that will develop
              film like that. The drop-off chains will often send it back saying
              they couldn't develop it (ahem). But I've had the smaller indie shops
              not bat an eye at 'art photography'.

              Dawn
            • Julie Zetterberg Sardo
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
                --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Carole Parker <mscip@...> wrote:

                > On Friday, September 1, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Julie Zetterberg Sardo
                > wrote:
                >
                > > --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine Mami" <ecmami@> wrote:
                > > > Somewhere there
                > > > must be pictures..........
                > >
                > > If only there was some sort of archive...
                >
                > We're working on it. ;-)

                Heh, heh, heh.

                Actually, am I correct in remembering that Elaine did this at
                ConFederation? If so, I'd love to see pictures. I have absolutely
                none of our presentation (Attack of the Costume Mercenary) except for
                the judges' Polaroid. We didn't yet have any contacts among the
                photographer corps. Were there 'official' photos at that masquerade?

                --Julie ZS
              • Cat Devereaux
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
                  ( oh, just replying to a bunch of stuff in the same thread at once.)

                  Some of the response may not be just what is on stage... but also protects
                  them later, especially in the photography line. I think it was just last
                  year that DragonCon had the kids that kept pealing down over the day until
                  they entered the masquerade in mailing body paint, though one still had
                  pasties. They were underage.... and there was a whole discussion if the
                  posting of their photos could get the photographers in trouble. The
                  rules, while strict, just lower the "risk" in this litigious society... not
                  a bad thing. And as mentioned by others, night 'adult only' functions run
                  by a whole different set of rules.

                  As to flesh paint on... that really does work well and folks can't get
                  offended by it when something is declared PG. Heck, remember the skater
                  video that was making the rounds where it looked like the guy did a full
                  strip... and instead was fully covered in a muscle suit. Definitely much
                  more of a costume.

                  As to jokes and having to cover up even if it's illusion and paint, I
                  remember the first Costume College.... we were sharing the hotel with the
                  National Sanitation Company's annual convention... which even though they
                  were "management" at the trash company consisted of them doing a LOT of late
                  night drinking and hassling females in the halls and elevators. The hotel
                  staff was really upset at them as well... and were providing escorts in
                  elevators after a few incidents. By the morning, hotel told us we could do
                  whatever we wanted to help control the situation. Well, never tell us
                  that. The drunk trash guys, were still drunk in the morning but also very
                  hung over. We played with their minds.... things like military amazons
                  threatening piercing. Also, and I don't remember which costume, it may
                  have been Miloton (sp?), but was fake "bare to waist"... and heavily armed
                  (ok, prop armed). Took less than 2 hours to mess with their minds enough
                  that the trash guys steered far away from us the rest of the weekend.
                  (Won't list exact quotes, cause I'm sure some of the threats to the turkeys
                  were illegal... but there was no more elevator tag... and not even any
                  oolging.) Just imagine their poor hung over brains... they were being
                  threatened by armed, half naked amazons. Still tasty just to think about.
                  (and the hotel approved).

                  -Cat-
                  Oh... and on the peanut butter costume, there are pictures circulating
                  around.... Marji Ellers had the pics, and I've forward them to the
                  archive... so they'll surface someday.

                • Richard A. Hill
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
                    I remember that one fondly (as opposed to fondle-ing-ly)
                    .... I almost couldn't get past you in the
                    hallway to move the damn dragon out of Photography

                    Richard

                    At 02:04 PM 9/1/2006, you wrote:

                    >It was in Atlanta, and I got to freak out my sister, her kids, and my own
                    >sons. My 4-year-old nephew was heard to shout, "Aunt Elaine's boobies are
                    >hangin' out!" Ask Ricky how real it looked. I needed to get a towel to
                    >cover up in the green room so people could focus on themselves.
                    >
                    >I loved it!
                    >
                    >The effect was achieved with a well known effect of a corset, which
                    >accentuates everything. The naughty bits were well down in the costume, but
                    >there was plenty of flesh left on top to paint the effect. Somewhere there
                    >must be pictures..........
                    >
                    >Elaine
                    >
                    >Nil significat nisi oscillat!
                    >
                    > >I'll add that Elaine Mami did a similarly themed Minoan costume at a
                    > >WorldCon sometime in the vicinity of Nolacon (I think), wherein her
                    > >"gifts" were painted on somewhere rather above the actual, and it took
                    > >at least a double-take to "get" the results.
                    > >
                    > >There's lots of ways of showing skin without violating the rules (or the
                    > >law).
                    > >
                    > >That's what creative costuming is all about!
                    > >
                    > >-b

                  • Elaine Mami
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
                      Jay,

                      Neither did I, but I still loved doing it, and the audience reaction had me
                      floating for days. The sound of 3,000 or so people gasping at once <g>. I
                      think BIS that year went to some upstarts in egg costumes.

                      Elaine

                      Nil significat nisi oscillat!

                      >We brought the house down at philcon and did not get a prize
                      >
                      >Jay
                      >

                      >One of my favorite memories of that costume is that Marjii Ellers approved
                      > highly of it.
                      >
                      > Elaine
                      >
                      > Nil significat nisi oscillat!
                      >

                      > >If only there was some sort of archive...
                      > >
                      > >--Julie ZS
                      > >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Ricky & Karen Dick
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
                        A far cry from the '78 Worldcon, where there were nearly nekkid people onstage at the masquerade, and definitely nekkid people in the hot tub at the hotel.

                        Times change...

                        --Karen

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 2, 2006
                          Depends on what Con's you go to.
                          Head South - they still know how to party.

                          Richard
                          "Would you prefer the people soup from cauldron 1 or cauldron 2 ?"

                          At 12:41 AM 9/2/2006, you wrote:

                          >A far cry from the '78 Worldcon, where there
                          >were nearly nekkid people onstage at the
                          >masquerade, and definitely nekkid people in the hot tub at the hotel.
                          >
                          >Times change...
                          >
                          >--Karen

                        • Trudy Leonard
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 4, 2006
                            Don't know about photos, but we've got the video. The coolest thing about
                            Elaine's "assets" were the way that they moved as she walked which is very
                            apparent in the video. The contestants walked down the center isle to exit
                            the hall and the videographer followed folks for quite a while as they
                            exited. Elaine bobbled quite convincingly.

                            Trudy

                            >From: "Julie Zetterberg Sardo" <Nebula5@...>
                            >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: [ICG-D] Re: Nudity on stage
                            >Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 22:18:47 -0000
                            >
                            >--- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Carole Parker <mscip@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > On Friday, September 1, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Julie Zetterberg Sardo
                            > > wrote:

                            > > > If only there was some sort of archive...
                            > >
                            > > We're working on it. ;-)
                            >
                            >Heh, heh, heh.
                            >
                            >Actually, am I correct in remembering that Elaine did this at
                            >ConFederation? If so, I'd love to see pictures. I have absolutely
                            >none of our presentation (Attack of the Costume Mercenary) except for
                            >the judges' Polaroid. We didn't yet have any contacts among the
                            >photographer corps. Were there 'official' photos at that masquerade?
                            >
                            >--Julie ZS

                          • Jay Meisner
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 5, 2006
                              Elaine,

                              I was referring to that wild Philcon opening we did a few years back to
                              the brash Walking round in women's underwear. The audience needed a
                              breather after the opening and we were not in comp. I do have the video
                              of this one myself.

                              Jay

                              Oh gotta go there is a cow tipping in progress

                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 6, 2006
                                Naaa, the egg costumes were later and didn't win
                                BIS. These were the first of the Tekumel costumes (Lords of Stability).

                                And the lady in blue was wearing a body stocking,
                                and the god in yellow was a woman - we artfully
                                draped the veiling under the shoulder pieces, as
                                the costume was made for a male to wear (i.e.
                                bare-chested) and we had to sub people last minute at the con.

                                P & S

                                At 08:56 PM 9/1/2006, you wrote:

                                >Jay,
                                >
                                >Neither did I, but I still loved doing it, and the audience reaction had me
                                >floating for days. The sound of 3,000 or so people gasping at once <g>. I
                                >think BIS that year went to some upstarts in egg costumes.
                                >
                                >Elaine
                                >
                                >Nil significat nisi oscillat!
                                >

                                > >We brought the house down at philcon and did not get a prize
                                > >
                                > >Jay
                                > >

                                > >One of my favorite memories of that costume is that Marjii Ellers approved
                                > > highly of it.
                                > >
                                > > Elaine
                                > >
                                > > Nil significat nisi oscillat!
                                > >

                                > > >If only there was some sort of archive...
                                > > >
                                > > >--Julie ZS
                                > > >

                                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                                Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                                -- C.Y. 4971

                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  At 03:14 PM 9/1/2006, you wrote:

                                  I recall such a costume at Confederation in Atlanta in 1986. I
                                  believe I have a photo of her somewhere.

                                  Pierre

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 7, 2006
                                    Julie,

                                    We might have a copy - we've been acquiring photo sets from various
                                    of the regular costume photogs and I think I've seen yours in the
                                    books....We'll check, but it might be after Archon (mid-October).

                                    P & S

                                    At 05:18 PM 9/1/2006, you wrote:
                                    > > On Friday, September 1, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Julie Zetterberg Sardo
                                    > > wrote:
                                    >
                                    >Actually, am I correct in remembering that Elaine did this at
                                    >ConFederation? If so, I'd love to see pictures. I have absolutely
                                    >none of our presentation (Attack of the Costume Mercenary) except for
                                    >the judges' Polaroid. We didn't yet have any contacts among the
                                    >photographer corps. Were there 'official' photos at that masquerade?
                                    >
                                    >--Julie ZS

                                    "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                                    Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                                    -- C.Y. 4971

                                    Andromeda
                                  • JoAnn Abbott
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 23 9:14 PM
                                      My photos from Costume Con 31 in Denver (before my camera died!) are up at
                                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/calliopeva/ Enjoy!

                                      JoAnn in VA

                                    • Lay, Toni (DDC)
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 24 8:00 AM
                                        Your great photos showed me how many disturbed people I know.

                                        Toni

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 28 2:46 PM
                                          Thought there might be some interest in these pictures of the Game of
                                          Thrones costume embroidery:
                                          http://www.michelecarragherembroidery.com/About%282829561%29.htm

                                          I also wish to say very well done to Michael and his crew for CC31!
                                          Linda
                                          mirhaxa@...