Future Fashion Folio

  • axejudge
    Message 1 of 60 , Aug 4, 2006
      Please brace yourselves, everyone: there is about to be a rant. Don't
      say I didn't warn you.

      -----

      There has been discussion in the past about the Folio. One person
      considering bidding for Costume-Con even brought up the idea of not
      having one. This idea so upset Karen Dick, the service mark holder
      for Costume-Con, that she wrote it into the requirements for that
      con. If you want to hold a Costume-Con, you've got to have a Folio.

      I wholeheartedly agree. The Folio allows for a wide variety of
      designs (and designers). Whether the garments can be constructed is
      irrelevant; it's the inspiration they provide for us all. It
      encourages everyone to try their hand at design, to free their minds.

      Although we have this passion for the Folio, apparently NOBODY ELSE
      DOES.

      Why do I say that?

      Our submission deadline for the CC25 Folio is in less than 2 weeks.
      Do you know how many entries we have so far? Go on, guess.

      Twenty-three.

      How many of them are from you all?

      None. Zero. Zip.

      We have submissions from a class of schoolchildren, and some from
      India.

      THAT'S IT.

      That's appalling. Our judges - who cannot participate in submitting
      designs - are looking on in increasing dismay.

      Do you REALLY not care about the Folio any more? Are we wasting our
      time and money putting one together?

      When I saw a large number of designs made for the CC24 Fashion Show, I
      was delighted. It seemed to bode well for the Folio's future.

      But when there has been almost a year for people to submit designs
      (from CC24's deadline to ours), and this is all people can be bothered
      to muster, I'm discouraged and disgusted.

      There is NO MORE TIME, people. It's all well and good to think it's
      OK to put it off until the last minute, but you have NO idea the
      repercussions of that choice on your parts.

      If 23 entries is all we have, and the judges don't think any of them
      are any good, THERE WILL BE NO FOLIO, and all of you may consider
      yourselves responsible.

      I don't want to see a bunch of discussion about this. Talking isn't
      drawing. If you have an idea - ANY idea - you'll never have a better
      chance of getting it in print than now. Pick up a pencil and start
      sketching.

      CC25 Future Fashion Folio deadline - August 15, 2006.

      Karen Heim
      Co-Editor, CC25 Future Fashion Folio
      Message 60 of 60 , Sep 12

        Hi, everyone.

        Just want to remind everyone about the Costume-Con 36 Future Fashion Folio competition. We have changed the deadline to October 31. (Yes, the website still says October 1). Please consider entering the special competitions:

        1. Maritime: Clothing appropriate for any navy, coast guard, merchant marine, pirate or any other nautical individual or group. This is not limited to the planet Earth or water.
        2. Shore Leave: Clothing appropriate for service, entertainment, or any person, company or group intended to cater to sailors on shore leave.
        3. Culture Mash-Up:  Assume two disparate cultures colonize a planet. Over time they will cross-pollinate each other. Design costumes featuring this crossover. Cultures need not be limited to current or past earth cultures. Projected future cultures as well as cultures from film and literature welcome. (Mayan-Klingon? Centauri-Castithan?)

        Pierre and Sandy

        --
        Those who fail to learn history
        Are doomed to repeat it.

        Achem Dro'hm "The Illusion of Historical Fact."
        -- CY 4971