Re: [ICG-D] Re: Important message from the Costumer's Guild West

  • Laetitia
    Message 1 of 89 , Jul 2, 2006
      At 01:38 PM 7/2/2006, von_drago wrote:
      >Thank you, Marty.
      >
      >I've been trying to come up with a nice way to say something of that
      >nature. I keep getting stuck on "if you're not helping, at least try
      >not to hinder those who are" but...
      >
      >In any case, bless your little pointy teeth.

      Nora and others,

      I have been in fannish pursuits for close to 20 years. One thing I
      have learned is that trying to insist that people "play nice" by not
      bringing up their problems ends up with those people going away
      totally. For a group, any group, to survive there needs to be the
      occasional knock down/drag out, air the dirty laundry fight to clear
      the air and bring the problems into the light of day. Just like a
      family, sometimes you need to weather the bad or the good dies as well.

      When everything repeatedly gets ignored, doesn't get discussed,
      basically is constantly swept under the carpet in favor or secrecy
      and a veneer of false politeness over substance is preferred then the
      result are what the ICG is seeing now - groups leaving.

      If the ICG does not want more groups to leave it behind then, IMO, it
      is time to really address why the members are unhappy instead of
      ignoring them, insulting them or trying to guilt them into being
      satisfied when they are not.

      Bottom line here guys - if the ICG was truly doing a good job
      satisfying its member groups then they wouldn't be leaving, now would they?

      YMMV,
      Stephanie

      Message 89 of 89 , Jul 12, 2006
        At 11:18 PM 7/11/2006, you wrote:

        >As long as we make our basic numbers, my treasurer tells me it's
        >essentially a zero-sum gain. They aren't paying for membership, but (if
        >they attend) they are most likely getting a room, and making room nights
        >is what covers most of our facility expenses.
        >
        >We figure it into the advertising and marketing budget...
        >
        >Kevin

        Depending on budget it might be a zero-sum situation. The expenses
        that the con is absorbing are basically publications and badge
        creation. The gains can be that it helps top off the room-nights
        which can have a dramatic effect on costs. If that one membership
        pushes your room-nights from one level to the next, the con could
        save thousands, which is definitely worth the ~$50-100 cost of the membership.

        Pierre

        >Laetitia wrote:
        > >
        > >May I ask what expense, for the giver, comes with giving an attending
        > >membership to the convention?

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        -- C.Y. 4971