Electroluminescent wire

  • Dana MacDermott
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2002

      >From: "Linda Peterson" <mirhaxa@...>
      > > Remotely along these lines, has anyone ever done anything with the
      > > NeonTrim stuff:

      We are starting to work with the electroluminescent wire, own some
      and are planning to use it in our WorldCon costumes. We were at a
      soldering workshop at Cool Neon a week ago. They have the soldering
      "parties" monthly from the beginning of the year up to Burningman. The
      material is battery operated and relatively easy to work with, although
      there are some tricks to soldering it.
      The wire is considerably more flexible and versatile than the flat
      form. This stuff is very big at Burningman, and easily endures the
      conditions. I know that some use has been made of it at Anime Conventions
      as I saw some photos at the soldering event.
      I am not familiar with the Neon Trim company, since we ran into
      CoolNeon and they are about 10 minutes from my home.
      The basic structure consists of a core wire which is phosphorus
      coated, and has very fine wires wrapped around it, then it is sheathed. It
      is those fine wires that have to be attached to the power source. Mostly
      they use AA batteries. There are various colors and thicknesses of the
      wires. Drivers which the company has available can cause a series of wires
      to light in patterned sequences.
      In the dark it is impressive. In partial light it is still pretty
      good.
      One costume I was shown at the party used fishing line to tie
      loops down to a heavy fabric background reminiscent of quilting. Do not
      expect to be able to get extremely tight curves. It is all fairly new, and
      there are variations emerging at a rapid pace.
      Dana
    • Charles Galway
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2002
        I have not checked out the wire or luminous thread (I assume the wire is brighter, and has more than one color), but I did see luminous thread out on the shelves this last Halloween, and and since our presentations can be so short, the thread may be an easier alternative (?)   (The thread of course glows in the dark for awhile after being exposed to bright light.) Charles