The "Committee Review" Part II

  • Bruce & Nora Mai
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      THE SHOWS

      As far as venues go, the hotel served pretty well. Given the number of entries in the SF & F masquerade, the seating was just the right number.

      a.. This show had an unusually large number of entries in proportion to the number of convention attendees (more than CC16, among others, which had more people on site). And yet, the number of participants did not outnumber the audience.
      b.. The skill levels of the entries were very evenly distributed.
      c.. There were no unusually long pauses in the show, which was good.
      d.. The MC, Pierre Pettinger, had a great inside gag costume, making his entrance as Moses carrying "tablets" with the 32 costuming commandments (do we know what those are?)
      e.. There were one or two entrants who demonstrated with their abilities that they need to "compete up" in a higher skill level next time.
      f.. As far as presentations were concerned, there seemed to be a noticeable number that ran over the recommended 60 second time limit. Lip-synching was popular this year, for some reason. And these were not just Novices doing this.
      g.. No fan photo run?! This made the wait for the judges seem even longer than usual. At first, the entrants were staying in the Green Room, but eventually, they trickled out into the lobby and most were photographed.
      h.. It was nice to have a program of the entries, even if the titles were not on it.

      Future Fashion Show

      a.. The FFS ran abut 20 minutes late.
      b.. We liked the fashion runway.
      c.. We also liked the way the models were introduced - first the slide of the drawing was rear-projected onto a screen, then the model would stand in front of the projector and strike the pose (eclipsing the projection), then walk out onto the stage.
      d.. The largish number of entries on stage proved the belief that having a Single Pattern contest does have a subtracting effect from the Future Fashions.
      e.. With a little prodding, there was a photo run for this show.

      Historical

      a.. Pre-judging ran on time. A very good thing.
      b.. While there were only 11 show entries, there wasn't a bad one in the bunch.
      c.. We're not fans of halftime entertainment. That's all we'll say.
      d.. Again, no photo run.

      We were pleased that the SLCG was so well represented in all three massquerades; there were 3 entries in the SF & F, half of the Fashion Show entries were SLUTs, and individual awards went to participants in "A Mother's Advice". On top of that, SLUTs took Best In Class-Master and Best In Show.

      Green Room notes

      a.. Very nice and spacious
      b.. Dedicated bathrooms were appreciated
      c.. The standing wire frame cages for hanging costumes on was a great idea and a space saver
      d.. The official photo area was well done, with clear instructions from the photographer and a nice, wide backdrop.

      Con Suite

      a.. Kudos to the person in charge of this - it was always well-stocked with snacks and a wide variety of drinks. We would have liked to have seen more salty snacks and some meat. They did have farm-fresh scrambled eggs in the morning, though.
      b.. The SLCG has to take the hit for not providing enough St. Louis Toasted Raviolis during the CC25/CC27 shared party. We regret that those disappeared so quickly that many people didn't get a chance to try them. We'll be sure to double or triple the amount for the CC25 con suite.
      c.. We want to single out the runner for the Con Suite supplies, who was especially good.
      d.. We've found that running the masquerade videos in the Con Suite can suck the conversation right out of the room. So it was refreshing to know the vids were shown in another room. As a result, we had some lively discussions with many people without the distraction. Very refreshing.

      Final comments

      Having DVDs of the masquerades, even if they were just a single camera angle - at reasonable prices -and available the next day - quite simply rocked!

      The committee is to be commended for putting on a good CC, overall. They were efficient, friendly, and very attentive. If there was a problem, they jumped on it and resolved it quickly. Not surprisingly, the tech crew for the 3 shows reflected this.

      Since some of the same people will be working CC25, especially in the tech area, we hope CC25 will be even more successful.

    • Elaine Mami
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        I will try to address some of your comments.

        Elaine

        Nil significat nisi oscillat!

        >As far as venues go, the hotel served pretty well. Given the number of
        >entries in the SF & F masquerade, the seating was just the right number.
        >

        > a.. This show had an unusually large number of entries in proportion to
        >the number of convention attendees (more than CC16, among others, which had
        >more people on site). And yet, the number of participants did not
        >outnumber the audience.
        > b.. The skill levels of the entries were very evenly distributed.
        > c.. There were no unusually long pauses in the show, which was good.
        > d.. The MC, Pierre Pettinger, had a great inside gag costume, making his
        >entrance as Moses carrying "tablets" with the 32 costuming commandments (do
        >we know what those are?)
        > e.. There were one or two entrants who demonstrated with their abilities
        >that they need to "compete up" in a higher skill level next time.

        *This was not easy to catch during rehearsals, and only one entrant
        asked about her skill level at all. Since many of the entrants were not
        known to me, I had to take their word for their skill levels.

        > f.. As far as presentations were concerned, there seemed to be a
        >noticeable number that ran over the recommended 60 second time limit.

        *I did approve 2 entries that exceeded the one-minute limit - one of
        them was a 5-person group, and another worked with Les and the crew to
        shorten her presentation by about 16 seconds. I chose not to quibble over a
        few seconds in a couple of cases.

        Lip-synching was popular this year, for some reason. And these were not
        just Novices doing this.
        > g.. No fan photo run?!

        *No arrangements had been made for fan photo. It was suggested
        that photos be done in the lobby, since there were half-time shows planned.

        This made the wait for the judges seem even longer than usual. At first,
        the entrants were staying in the Green Room, but eventually, they trickled
        out into the lobby and most were photographed.

        *For some reason, entrants were being told to stay in the green
        room after their presentation and during judging. I do not know who chose
        to do that, or why, but it does seem a shame.

        > h.. It was nice to have a program of the entries, even if the titles
        >were not on it.

        *It was my decision to leave off the titles, as they might have
        given away the gag in several cases.

        And by the way, I do not know why there was not more food in the green room,
        but I did provide the promised cookies.

        It was not mentioned in this post, but on another one, concerning not enough
        rehearsal time. That is completely untrue! As soon as we realized the
        number of entrants would exceed the arranged times of 3-5:30, Les agreed to
        start rehearsals at 1 p.m. Each entry got at least 10 minutes, and often
        several chances to run their presentation. We did not have any scheduling
        problems, and were completely finished by 5:40 p.m. so we could all have
        dinner and change for the show, even though the last 2 entries arrived late
        for their rehearsals. 2 entries had major sound problems, which the crew
        was able to fix, and they needed to come back for a second time slot in
        which to do this, and we still finished on time and unhurried.
      • Bruce & Nora Mai
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          From: "Elaine Mami" <ecmami@...>

          >It was not mentioned in this post, but on another one, concerning not
          >enough
          >rehearsal time. That is completely untrue! As soon as we realized the
          >number of entrants would exceed the arranged times of 3-5:30, Les agreed to
          >start rehearsals at 1 p.m. Each entry got at least 10 minutes, and often
          >several chances to run their presentation. We did not have any scheduling
          >problems, and were completely finished by 5:40 p.m. so we could all have
          >dinner and change for the show, even though the last 2 entries arrived late
          >for their rehearsals. 2 entries had major sound problems, which the crew
          >was able to fix, and they needed to come back for a second time slot in
          >which to do this, and we still finished on time and unhurried.

          Let me qualify that - I was speaking about the lack of time before you
          expanded it. But I guess what people were telling me is that more time
          should have been scheduled to begin with. Let's work on that for CC25.

          Bruce
        • Elaine Mami
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
            I agree completely! If we plan to start at 1:00 and end by 5:30, we should
            have plenty of time. I do like to have dinner, and possibly a shower,
            before the show.