Re: [ICG-D] CC21 question

  • Ricky & Karen Dick
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2002
      Skokie, IL (just north of Chicago), April 18-21, 2003 (Easter weekend).

      More info is on their website here:

      http://www.jennifarse.com/cc2003/

      CC-22 will be in Decatur, GA (near Atlanta) in 2004, and CC-23 will be in
      Ogden, UT (near Salt Lake City) in 2005.

      --Karen

      At 01:57 PM 2/28/02 -0700, you wrote:
      >Jennifer...
      >Where and dates (when) is Costume Con 21?
      >Thanks,
      >Jean Palmer
      >VP SWCG
      >
      >J.A.Kelley wrote:
      >
      > > >Is there a historical masquerade director yet and any assemblance of
      > > >rules/guidelines for the Historical masquerade yet?
      > >
      > > Nancy Mildebrandt is the Historical Masquerade director. The rules will be
      > > available in PR2 in May, and will be appearing on the website as soon as I
      > > get them (which should be no later than April 15th, as that's the deadline
      > > for area heads to get information into me).
      > >
      > > --Jennifer

    • Bruce Briant
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9 3:23 PM
        I like to take inspiration for costumes from the CC locale--CC15, for
        example, brought to mind Poe and Churchill Downs. I didn't go, but I had
        fun being inspired.

        What famous (science fiction and/or fantasy) writers are from Chicago?
        Any famous stories set in Chicago I should know?

        Bruce B.

        "It's kind of neat to do the impossible."
        --Walt Disney

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • randwhit@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9 4:33 PM
          In a message dated 9/9/02 3:26:55 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
          bbriant@... writes:

          > What famous (science fiction and/or fantasy) writers are from Chicago?
          > Any famous stories set in Chicago I should know?

          Kolchak the Night Stalker

          Without that show, there never would have been an X-Files or Buffy.

          Randall
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9 5:43 PM
            The Chicon 2000 program book had a two-page list of sf stories set in Chicago in whole or in part. They include Isaac Asimov's first novel, "Pebble in the Sky"; four novels by Robert Heinlein: "Between Planets," "Methuselah's Children," "To Sail Beyond the Sunset," and "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag"; "Beggars in Spain," by Nancy Kress; Fritz Leiber's "The Big Time" (1958 Hugo); "Samurai Cat in the Real World," by Mark Rogers; "Triplanetary," by Doc Smith, Bob Tucker's first novel, "Wild Talent"; and all four volumes of Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series. Among shorter fiction, I'll mention only "As Easy as A.B.C.," by Rudyard Kipling (1912 sf).

            Keeping the thread on track (there's a mixed metaphor!), several of these stories ought to provide major inspiration for costumes -- or have done so already. (Doc Smith appeared at several cons dressed as Kimball Kinnison!) A close reading of the implications of Kipling's short story, for example, could result in some very interesting costumes.

            I don't have a list handy, but my impression is that a number of notable sf and fantasy authors live or lived in Chicago at one time.

            Byron (I'm back)

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9 6:12 PM
              On Monday, September 9, 2002, at 03:23 PM, Bruce Briant wrote:
              > What famous (science fiction and/or fantasy) writers are from Chicago?
              > Any famous stories set in Chicago I should know?

              Daniel "D. Manus" Pinkwater

              --
              andy trembley, Bitchy Design Queen - http://www.bovil.com/
              San Jose, CA - '72 R75/5 '86 R100 (mine) - '92 K75sa (Kevin's)