Shibori Dye Reassurance

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2006
      Hello All:

      Well, I got the fabric out of the dryer this morning, and some stitches
      have been removed.

      I can say that I achieved a form of success. The shape came out as I
      anticipated it would. The resist did as I anticipated it would since I
      did not do the process *exactly* as documented in the shibori book. So,
      I feel pretty good about that.

      The only minor quibble is that the resisted areas did not come out
      bright white. It does have contrast, but you won't be able to see it
      from very far. I'll have to figure out how to change that on a future
      project. I might have to use thicker thread to get it to really work
      well.

      People in the cheap seats at Conzilla (maybe there) and LAConIV won't
      be able to see the shibori effect - even with opera glasses in all
      likelyhood. I suspect that people will "see" it as a form of texture
      instead of flat fabric color. That's okay. That's what I thought would
      happen.

      However, I'm hoping that the workmanship judge(s) will be impressed. :-)

      I am so *relieved*. Gads, fear can make you crazy. ;-)

    • Tsuruko
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2006
        When I do dye work (including shibori) I always pre-wash my fabric to
        remove any sizing, etc. So far I've only done cold water dying with Procion
        on cotton and silk but you'll want to do the same preparation for any dyeing
        process.
        It sounds like you're doing stitched patterns. Rather than using thicker
        thread to tie your shibori try making sure it's drawn up really tight.
        That's what's actually forming your resist. When you're done wash your dyed
        fabric really well *before* removing the stitching.
        I wish I could make it to LA Con IV this year - I'd love to see your
        outfit.

        Back to lurking,

        Deb Strub

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2006
          On Monday, April 24, 2006, at 05:33 PM, Tsuruko wrote:

          > When I do dye work (including shibori) I always pre-wash my fabric to
          > remove any sizing, etc.

          Yep. So do I.

          > So far I've only done cold water dying with Procion on cotton and silk
          > but you'll want to do the same preparation for any dyeing process.

          This is procion on yukata cotton fabric. Nice stuff that wrinkles like
          crazy. ;-)

          > It sounds like you're doing stitched patterns.

          Yep.

          > Rather than using thicker thread to tie your shibori try making sure
          > it's drawn up really tight. That's what's actually forming your > resist.

          Yeah, I've got some that are better than others. However, I found that
          the thread used does make *some* difference. I'll remember to be sure
          about the tightness, though. I thought I had gotten them all tight, but
          I may not have.

          > When you're done wash your dyed fabric really well *before* removing
          > the stitching.

          Rinsed, rinsed some more, washed, and then an extra cycle of rinsing.
          Then the dryer. :-)

          > I wish I could make it to LA Con IV this year - I'd love to see your
          > outfit.

          Photos will eventually be available. I'll be doing an article
          eventually. Said article will appear first in Silicon Web's newsletter,
          the Virtual Costumer. At some point, I'll probably put it up on my
          website, but don't hold your breath. I still haven't gotten my previous
          shibori article up there yet.

          Something about trying to do a lot of things. ;-)

          > Back to lurking,

          Don't lurk too much. Please come out and play. :-)

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2006
            Carole --

            I'm glad it worked, even if the contrast is not what you wanted.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
              On Monday, April 24, 2006, at 07:33 PM, Byron Connell wrote:

              > I'm glad it worked, even if the contrast is not what you wanted.

              Thanks. The interesting thing is that the dye changed color when I
              pressed it dry. I'm fine with that, but I did not expect it to be such
              a dramatic color shift.