A question for the ICG in general

  • slcgjeff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 93 , Apr 22, 2006
      On the heels of the questions asked of our presidental candidates, I in turn
      would like to ask the following of the membership in general and the chapter
      officers in specific:

      What are YOU doing to promote costuming in your vicinity?

      Cases in point: there's a great deal of interest in creating a photo gallery
      on the ICG site. How many chapters have galleries of their members available
      for viewing? There are some who want an ICG message board forum. How many
      chapters have a message board, and how effectively has this brought in
      interested parties? There's been discussion about "open communication" between the
      Board and the ICG membership by opening the BOD list up for anyone to see. How
      many chapters have a mailing list with archives that are open for the viewing
      public?

      How many chapter officers are even on the ICG-D list?

      My point here is that, as a wise man once said, "All politics is local".
      These are all good things to ask and have at an overall level, I'm not
      questioning that. But it also seems to me that this should reflect things that are
      also being done on the chapter level as well. The ICG, contrary to perception,
      is actually a very weak entity. The strength of the Guild resides in the
      individual chapters.

      I'm not expecting answers. For one thing, I did a lot of poking around
      recently and know the answers to most of the questions above. But I think it's
      something that should be considered. A lot of the questions being asked here
      should also be asked of the individual chapter officers.

      JSM

    • Heather Monson
      Message 93 of 93 , Jun 3, 2007
        Thanks for the encouraging words, Karen! My entry at CONduit this year
        marked my fourth entry into a Masquerade, ever, and the first time I'd
        actually gotten onstage as a participant. The others were just for
        workmanship, since I was helping run things backstage those years and
        couldn't get onstage myself. However, for local events, I'm okay with the
        head judge's decision that I ought to be bumped up. Three of those four
        entries in which I've somehow taken part over the years took BiS:
        Presentation, in costumes I created and presentations in whose creation I
        collaborated, and I collaborate with friends who, though not at all
        skilled in costume creation, have years of performing experience and a lot
        of stage presence. Locally, we've proven very hard to beat, and to be fair
        to others, we ought to compete as masters, even though we are very new to
        the whole Masquerade thing and aren't anywhere near as technically
        proficient as the other local masters. I'm just hoping the new status
        doesn't stick if we take our show on the road and compete in Masquerades
        at national-type conventions (i.e. CostumeCon). Anyway, I guess we'll
        cross that bridge if/when we come to it. :-) Thanks again for your
        encouragement, and good luck with Entry #6!

        Heather

        --- Karen McWilliams <karenemcee@...> wrote:

        > Sounds like a great Con!
        >
        > Heather, if I gotta compete in Master, then so do you!** I'm trying
        > not to hyperventilate at the thought. On one hand, it's kind of a kick
        > to be moved up after getting a BIC Jouneyman award, but on the other
        > hand, there's no way I'm really in the same "class" with the big
        > guys/gals. I figure I'll just have to do what I do best, and continue to
        > improve. IMHO there's something to be said for experience--simply
        > designing/creating/presenting a new costume, whether for a small or
        > large con, will give you lots of knowledge. Also, if you have a group of
        > people to bounce ideas off of and collaborate with, you're way ahead of
        > a lot of people (like, um, me :-) )
        >
        > Next CC, I'll be on my 6th masq. entry, and am really feeling the lack
        > of different venues and experiences and times through the process. Trust
        > in yourself that you do have the skills and the creativity to compete at
        > a high level, and I'll see you at CC next April! I've got my idea
        > percolating, and we'll see if the husband and little kids are up to
        > it....
        >
        > Karen Mc
        >
        > **Figure of speech--I know there are well-set-out rules for who should
        > be in each class, and I'm not presuming to tell you where you "really
        > should" be if the rules say something else!

        "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." --Douglas Adams