Yeah, I'm running for ICG President.

  • von_drago
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21, 2006
      Nora Mai here, Acting ICG President.

      I've always sworn I would never run for ICG President.
      I planned on retiring after two years of a tempestuous vice-
      presidency and slipping into the obscurity some think I deserve.

      But that's not like me, and after hammering away at the Presidency
      for a month now I'd hate to leave when things are just starting to
      come together.

      So sue me, I lied. I'm running. Below is an introduction to who I am
      & what I've accomplished over the years. I've also got a little bit
      of a statement as to my intentions towards the end. Thanks for
      indulging me.

      My costuming history:
      I've been costuming since I was 5 years old, but first seriously got
      in to making my own outfits when I began taking Middle Eastern Dance
      in 1977. I couldn't afford to buy all the fancy beaded outfits or
      even beaded fringe but I could sew!
      I discovered convention & masquerade costuming in 1985 when I
      attended my first Doctor Who convention, Tardiscon. And shortly after
      that, Archon our regional SF con.
      Joined the CostumApa (now defunct) around 1989 where I began to meet
      the costuming community at large. I started contributing to the
      Future Fashion Folio for CC9 in 1991.
      Attended my first Worldcon in 1991 (Chicon) & first Costume-Con (#10)
      in 1992.
      I'm not terrifically comfortable blowing my own horn but I have won a
      few BiS's in both SF&F and Historical. Want to see what I can do?
      Visit my website: www.casamai.com

      Personal information:
      Along with costuming I indulge in making quilts & dolls, am a fairly
      decent amateur photographer, still dance and am "mom" to 3 cats.
      I think pizza is the perfect food & I generally don't drink domestic
      beer unless nothing else is available.
      I was both an Art & English major in college & am certified in a
      variety of computer skills; including web design, some programming &
      database administration. I currently work for a mid-sized division of
      a large national company as the computer trainer & database
      administrator.

      Costume related qualifications:
      I was the Founding President for the St Louis Costumers Guild in 1991
      and held that position for 6 years. I've been the ICG Vice-President
      for nearly 2 years. (And Acting President for about a month!)
      I was the Chairman for Costume-Con 16 in 1998. I ran the Future
      Fashion Show for both CC21 & CC22 and have been MD for a couple of
      smaller local cons.
      I'm the current webmistress for the SLCG & CC25, treasurer & editor
      for the FFF for CC25.
      So, it looks like I'm qualified.

      What I'd like to see for the future of the ICG (AKA my platform):
      The ICG used to be fun & friendly but we've acquired a slightly
      tainted reputation over the years & I'm tired of it. The petty
      bickering & obsessive politicizing has greatly contributed to that as
      well as obscured our true purpose of sharing our knowledge & joy in
      our hobby.
      We seem to have lost focus on what we can offer.
      We need to take care of business, get things done & move on to other
      more positive projects & goals.

      A Board member recently asked "when was the last time we actually did
      something positive to promote our hobby?" and sadly, I couldn't
      remember. That needs to change.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 21, 2006
        Nora --

        OK. What would you have the ICG do about this if you were president?

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 21, 2006
          Really good question. Matter of fact a great question.
          I'll try to answer it coherently but some of these ideas aren't very
          solidified - bear with me, this'll probably be long.

          First, we've still got a lot of leftover business that needs to be
          cleaned up. We will always have some "business" to attend to but our
          energies need to be carefully divided & used for more creative
          means. We need to start looking for ways to:
          A) Improve our image.
          B) Bolster our numbers.
          C) Share our knowledge & history.
          D) Get back to our original credo of being a source & resource for
          all costumers.

          In random order, here are some thoughts I've had.
          We need to get our photos & video out there where people can see
          them. And determine a method by which we can distribute them as
          broadly as possible(within reason). The newly formed Archives Online
          committee is the starting point for this. Future committees will
          build on their findings & implementation.

          We need to develop a consistent Outreach program. The former
          Publicity Committee needs to evolve into a PR committee - something
          between a Welcome Wagon & that great neighbor you always wanted that
          knew everything & was willing to teach you.

          Random ideas: (These are things we all do as individuals or chapters,
          we need to 'nationalize' the effort.)

          Let 'em know we're here & we're friendly - maybe offer to sponsor
          prizes at various conventions; just provide the prize, something
          special. The only strings attached being announce us as the sponsor
          and, if you don't mind, can we be on hand to help hand it over.

          Sudsidize some "students". Cons can be expensive, funds for a
          membership would be greatly appreciated. Hook 'em up with a Con-Buddy
          if they're new to the circuit, introduce them around & make them feel
          comfortable.

          Accumulate, make available & promote the types of educational
          materials we hand out at conventions. How-to's, good advice, what-to-
          use list, where-to get-it, etc. To make it really available it'd
          probably have to be online but we've all got our favorite "advice"
          hand-outs that we regularly distribute in panels; why not pool these
          resources?

          These are deeply involved projects & the workload must be shared by
          the entire Board.

          More questions?

          Nora Mai
          ICG A-Pres

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 21, 2006

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 22, 2006
              Hello Nora:

              > Really good question. Matter of fact a great question.
              > I'll try to answer it coherently but some of these ideas aren't very
              > solidified - bear with me, this'll probably be long.
              >
              > First, we've still got a lot of leftover business that needs to be
              > cleaned up. We will always have some "business" to attend to but our
              > energies need to be carefully divided & used for more creative
              > means. We need to start looking for ways to:
              > A) Improve our image.
              > B) Bolster our numbers.
              > C) Share our knowledge & history.
              > D) Get back to our original credo of being a source & resource for
              > all costumers.

              Nice warm fuzzy thoughts that I basically agree with.
              Questions: Now, what do you intend to do about them?
              How do you make them real?

              > In random order, here are some thoughts I've had.
              > We need to get our photos & video out there where people can see
              > them. And determine a method by which we can distribute them as
              > broadly as possible(within reason). The newly formed Archives Online
              > committee is the starting point for this. Future committees will
              > build on their findings & implementation.

              Gee, I seem to recall bringing this point up numerous times. In fact, I
              think the posted response from your spouse (if I recall correctly) was
              "Are you crazy?!? Do you know how much work that would involve?" and
              other such thoughts.

              Question: Who is going to be on the newly formed Archives Online
              committee?

              > We need to develop a consistent Outreach program. The former
              > Publicity Committee needs to evolve into a PR committee - something
              > between a Welcome Wagon & that great neighbor you always wanted that
              > knew everything & was willing to teach you.

              The problem in the past was that this was not consistently followed
              through on. The Welcome Wagon has a strong network of people who do
              this and get support for doing it as well as recognition for their
              efforts.

              Questions: How are you going to get people to follow through on this?
              How are you going to provide support for them?
              What recognition will the Welcome Wagon equivalent volunteers get?
              (People like recognition for their efforts, and get frustrated if they
              do not receive any.)

              > Random ideas: (These are things we all do as individuals or chapters,
              > we need to 'nationalize' the effort.)
              >
              > Let 'em know we're here & we're friendly - maybe offer to sponsor
              > prizes at various conventions; just provide the prize, something
              > special. The only strings attached being announce us as the sponsor
              > and, if you don't mind, can we be on hand to help hand it over.

              A consistent complaint that I've seen on ICG-D in the past was "the ICG
              does not have very much money. We can't do much of anything."

              Question: How are you going to get the money to buy prizes to present
              at conventions?

              > Sudsidize some "students". Cons can be expensive, funds for a
              > membership would be greatly appreciated. Hook 'em up with a Con-Buddy
              > if they're new to the circuit, introduce them around & make them feel
              > comfortable.

              Good idea.
              Question: Where is the money going to come from to subsidize the
              students?

              Never mind how you determine which students get money to go to which
              conventions. If you don't have the money to distribute, you can't get
              this idea off the ground.

              > Accumulate, make available & promote the types of educational
              > materials we hand out at conventions. How-to's, good advice, what-to-
              > use list, where-to get-it, etc. To make it really available it'd
              > probably have to be online but we've all got our favorite "advice"
              > hand-outs that we regularly distribute in panels; why not pool these
              > resources?

              Great.
              Questions: Who is the librarian to handle this job?
              Does this become another responsibility for the archivist?
              Why not create a method - maybe something like a Wikipedia - for people
              to input updated advice into for the website?

              > These are deeply involved projects & the workload must be shared by
              > the entire Board.

              Questions: Why the BOD? You have numerous members who can do certain
              tasks if they knew about it. Why are you limiting who can help out the
              ICG to the BOD members only?

            • von_drago
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 22, 2006
                Hello Carole:
                Here's your answers. And they might be long.
                --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Carole Parker <mscip@...> wrote:
                > Nice warm fuzzy thoughts that I basically agree with.
                > Questions: Now, what do you intend to do about them?
                > How do you make them real?
                They're ideas, not just sweeping generalizations, but they do need
                some more development. I've been spending a lot of time (okay,
                dwelling) on the problems with the ICG & what we can do to fix some
                of them in the future. It's going to require time & people to make
                them real. I can't do it by myself nor do I intend to. The ICG &
                overall costuming community has a lot of good minds, willing workers.
                If I end up remaining in this office, I intend to harvest that energy
                & knowledge. You're going to be one of those people.

                > Gee, I seem to recall bringing this point up numerous times. In
                fact, I
                > think the posted response from your spouse (if I recall correctly)
                was
                > "Are you crazy?!? Do you know how much work that would involve?"
                and
                > other such thoughts.
                > Question: Who is going to be on the newly formed Archives Online
                > committee?
                Yeah, you did along with others. And the quote is from me not Bruce
                (and slightly out of context, I might add but let's not nitpick). I
                felt it was an important enough issue that I created the committee
                even though I'm possibly only going to be President for a couple of
                months. Could be my only legacy & an enduring thorn in the following
                President's side.
                The committee is headed by Bruce Mai & includes Pierre Pettinger,
                Jeff Morris, John O'Halloran, Kevin Roche & Andy Trembley. I believe
                Bruce asked for interested volunteers here on the D list but you may
                have missed it; wanna be on the committee?

                > The problem in the past was that this was not consistently followed
                > through on. The Welcome Wagon has a strong network of people who do
                > this and get support for doing it as well as recognition for their
                > efforts.
                > Questions: How are you going to get people to follow through on
                this?
                > How are you going to provide support for them?
                > What recognition will the Welcome Wagon equivalent volunteers get?
                >(People like recognition for their efforts, and get frustrated if
                they do not receive any.)
                True. I don't have the logistics of this worked out but we need to
                consolidate our local efforts (& virtually every group has some) into
                an overall presence. Obviously this needs a committee, after CC24.
                As for recognition - you're preaching to the choir here. I could rant
                for several days on that topic but suffice it to say "Amen, sistah!".

                > A consistent complaint that I've seen on ICG-D in the past was "the
                ICG
                > does not have very much money. We can't do much of anything."
                > Question: How are you going to get the money to buy prizes to
                present
                > at conventions?
                Fund-raising efforts should be developed & implemented; more work,
                more volunteers. Most of the chapters have some sort of fund-raising
                schemes, the ICG as a parent organization needs some, too.

                > Good idea.
                > Question: Where is the money going to come from to subsidize the
                > students?
                > Never mind how you determine which students get money to go to
                which
                > conventions. If you don't have the money to distribute, you can't
                get this idea off the ground.
                The mentoring costs nothing, it's just providing a needed service.
                Something that's eminently within our reach, it just need to be
                organized - so another committee.
                As for money - see above.

                > Great.
                > Questions: Who is the librarian to handle this job?
                > Does this become another responsibility for the archivist?
                > Why not create a method - maybe something like a Wikipedia - for
                people
                > to input updated advice into for the website?
                Want a job? We'd need a volunteer to acquire & organize the
                materials, get them into distributable or postable form.
                The Wikipedia idea has come up before but I don't think it's the same
                idea; maybe in addition? I don't really know how the Wikipedia model
                works, someone (hint, hint) would have to be in charge of researching
                & developing something like that. Again, we're talking committees -
                after CC24.

                > Questions: Why the BOD? You have numerous members who can do
                certain
                > tasks if they knew about it. Why are you limiting who can help out
                the
                > ICG to the BOD members only?
                Why the BoD? Cause it's their job. Which doesn't mean that non-BoD
                members wouldn't be involved, of course they would.
                I know I'm repeating myself, but we need more, more, more volunteers!
                First - to distribute the work so the few don't get burnt out. And
                Second - cause the ICG is a collective organization, it's strength is
                its widely diverse, creative population. What we accomplish can only
                increase the more involved the members are in the process.

                More questions?

                Nora
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 22, 2006
                  On Saturday, April 22, 2006, at 06:17 AM, von_drago wrote:

                  >> Gee, I seem to recall bringing this point up numerous times. In fact,
                  >> think the posted response from your spouse (if I recall correctly) was
                  >> "Are you crazy?!? Do you know how much work that would involve?"
                  >> and other such thoughts.
                  >> Question: Who is going to be on the newly formed Archives Online
                  >> committee?
                  > Yeah, you did along with others. And the quote is from me not Bruce
                  > (and slightly out of context, I might add but let's not nitpick). I
                  > felt it was an important enough issue that I created the committee
                  > even though I'm possibly only going to be President for a couple of
                  > months. Could be my only legacy & an enduring thorn in the following
                  > President's side.
                  > The committee is headed by Bruce Mai & includes Pierre Pettinger,
                  > Jeff Morris, John O'Halloran, Kevin Roche & Andy Trembley. I believe
                  > Bruce asked for interested volunteers here on the D list but you may
                  > have missed it; wanna be on the committee?

                  I did miss that e-mail. I do not recall seeing it on the D list.

                  >> Great.
                  >> Questions: Who is the librarian to handle this job?
                  >> Does this become another responsibility for the archivist?
                  >> Why not create a method - maybe something like a Wikipedia - for
                  >> people to input updated advice into for the website?
                  > Want a job? We'd need a volunteer to acquire & organize the
                  > materials, get them into distributable or postable form.

                  Have you taken a look at costumingtips.org in the How Do I... and Where
                  Can I... sections? Would that be something along the lines of what
                  you're looking for?

                  > The Wikipedia idea has come up before but I don't think it's the same
                  > idea; maybe in addition?

                  Definitely in addition.

                  > I don't really know how the Wikipedia model works, someone (hint,
                  > hint) would have to be in charge of researching & developing something
                  > like that. Again, we're talking committees -
                  > after CC24.
                  >
                  >> Questions: Why the BOD? You have numerous members who can do
                  >> certain tasks if they knew about it. Why are you limiting who can
                  >> help out
                  >> the ICG to the BOD members only?
                  > Why the BoD? Cause it's their job. Which doesn't mean that non-BoD
                  > members wouldn't be involved, of course they would.

                  However, I have not seen non-BOD members frequently encouraged to
                  participate in the committees. I frequently see a committee announced
                  as a kind of done deal. I rarely see an announcement on the D list or
                  in the ICG newsletter asking for volunteers.

                  > I know I'm repeating myself, but we need more, more, more volunteers!

                  So, ask. Ask for a specific task to be done instead of saying the
                  generic "we need help." The specific request gets more responses than
                  the generic one. The other thing that needs to be done is to state a
                  specific deadline and not leave it fuzzy.

                  A specific item along the lines of "we need people to help out on X
                  task, and we would like to have it available to the members by Y date,"
                  will get you more things happening and real progress being made. Of
                  course, the deadline date can be negotiated and reworked as necessary
                  as long as the membership is kept informed. However, if something that
                  someone could do themselves in a week takes the ICG two years to
                  accomplish, then the perceived benefit is not going to be very high.

                  > First - to distribute the work so the few don't get burnt out.

                  Agreed.

                  > And
                  > Second - cause the ICG is a collective organization, it's strength is
                  > its widely diverse, creative population.

                  Agreed. So, whoever is elected as an officer of the ICG should use the
                  whole diverse pool instead of a subset of it. We've got a lot of people
                  who can do a lot of things if given the opportunity. While some items
                  need to be handled by the BOD, I would like to see the collective
                  membership asked to participate more. I believe that this would help
                  create positive feelings toward the ICG.

                  When people feel useful and like they count, they tend to have more
                  positive feelings toward an organization. If you open the door to more
                  people helping out, you might get more stuff done.

                  > What we accomplish can only increase the more involved the members are
                  > in the process.

                  Agreed. So, let's let more people be involved.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 23, 2006
                    The ICG Budget and Finance Committee is charged to develop an annual ICG budget for review and adoption by the Board of Directors. It consists of four members who are not BoD members plus the ICG Treasurer, ex officio. The appointed members serve two year terms; one of them (not the Treasurer) chairs the committee and is responsible for presenting the Board with the committee's recommended budget. (This really is the way this is set up in the Standing Rules-- check it yourself!) Initially, one ICG member volunteered. For two years, in every monthly message I sent to the chapters -- and posted on ICG-D -- I asked for additional volunteers to joint the ICG's Budget and Finance Committee. I received no volunteers, none, nada, zip!