Best List Server back up

  • ICG WebMaster - John O'Halloran
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2000
      Just received a message the server has been replaced, but no data was
      restored. So it will be another few days before I restore the lists
      back to it.

      However, before I do that, I want to ask folks what they think about
      eGroups?

      Thanks
      JohnO
    • MicheleSol@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2000
        I prefer the digest rather than all the separate e-mails.

        Michele
      • ICG WebMaster - John O'Halloran
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
          Ummm, digests were available under Best as well.

          JohnO

        • MicheleSol@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
            Do you change that?

            Thanks,

            Michele
          • John O'Halloran
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
              If you are, or sign-up to be, a member of eGroups you can change your
              settings anytime.

              If I subscribed you, you responded to a subscription invitation, or you
              subscribed via eMail, then I have to make the change for you.

              Michele, do you want to received daily digests?

              JohnO

            • corwyn@kolvir.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
                Egroups plus side, the vast majority of all other lists I am on are on it
                and it is relatively easy to use.

                Down side, are the ads and my unfounded distrust of the egroups company. :)
                At 10:57 PM 10/7/00, you wrote:
                >Just received a message the server has been replaced, but no data was
                >restored. So it will be another few days before I restore the lists
                >back to it.
                >
                >However, before I do that, I want to ask folks what they think about
                >eGroups?
                >
                >Thanks
                > JohnO

                http://www.kolvir.com/ <- NEW AND IMPROVED
                Don Glover, the younger "Wild Thing"
                C, Visual Basic Programmer: Have Network Will Program.
                "One Thing About Pain: It Proves You're Alive!"
              • de Doc
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
                  "....I want to ask folks what they think about
                  eGroups?"

                  I've been using them for list maintenance for quite some time; never had any
                  problem with em...

                  cordially,
                  Bill Ernoehazy
                  //
                  de Doc
                • J.A. Kelley
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
                    Last time on 90210, ICG WebMaster - John O'Halloran said,
                    >Ummm, digests were available under Best as well.
                    >
                    > JohnO

                    Under the Best system, all I got were digests, and I could find no way of
                    getting single messages. I like the egroups list management system--and how
                    easy it is for individual list members to control their own destiny (as it
                    were)-- so I would encourage you to keep the list at egroups.

                    --Jennifer Kelley
                  • MicheleSol@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
                      Yes, AOL drops off earlier e-mails if you get too many.

                      Thanks,

                      Michele
                    • Timothy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
                        I like it much better. It's simple to switch between regular emails and the digest version. You can even switch to web only viewing through the egroups website. It's much simpler to manager your lists if you're going to be away for a while and don't want to fill you mailbox or go through the trouble to unsub and resub.

                        Bruno
                        Millennium CG

                      • marymorris@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
                          In a message dated 10/08/2000 7:13:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          plastic@... writes:

                          << I like it much better. It's simple to switch between regular emails and
                          the digest version. You can even switch to web only viewing through the
                          egroups website. It's much simpler to manager your lists if you're going to
                          be away for a while and don't want to fill you mailbox or go through the
                          trouble to unsub and resub. >>

                          I like that if you lose an important message, it is easy to go back to the
                          Egroups site and find it there in the archives.
                          One possible future difficulty is that Egroups has recently been acquired by
                          Yahoo, and apparently some changes are planned. I don't think they'll affect
                          things TOO awfully much, though.

                          Mary
                        • Jeff & Susan Stringer
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 9, 2000
                            > One possible future difficulty is that Egroups has recently been acquired by
                            > Yahoo, and apparently some changes are planned. I don't think they'll affect
                            > things TOO awfully much, though.
                            >
                            > Mary

                            I've heard that. I think JohnO told me. That's one reason I haven't been
                            banging my head against the wall trying to fix my web pages "Click here to join"
                            thingys. With my luck, by the time I fix it, they will change again.

                            And YES John, I went to the "Promote" section and tried to copy and paste the
                            given button, (how do you think I got the link to E-List) but it didn't work. I
                            don't have Hot Dog or any of the html editors to let me rewrite the code.
                            Although, I do remember changing some stuff in the code using Nutscape before...
                            but I've slept since then, don't remember how to do it. I'll look into it AFTER
                            HALLOWEEN!

                            Hugs,
                            Susan