Re: Odds n Ends regarding the ICG

  • Janet Anderson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2000
      I have just had a marathon read-through of the ICG/CQ discussion and have a few
      comments.
      First, for those who don't know/have forgotten or just don't care - I'm one of the
      Keepers of Archival Knowledge, since I am a co-founder of the ICG. So I have a few
      things to say about the founding principals and policies of both the ICG and the
      CG. THis post is on the ICG.

      First,. Byron, thanks for staying on. As a past President, I know just how
      unwieldly a group we are (herding cats, anyone?) Due to circumstances beyond your
      control, this administrative nightmare has shown up on your watch although it has
      been brewing for years. I hope we can get it sorted and back on stream.

      Central vs decentralized organization

      I belong to a number of organizations, both chapter driven and National-driven. When
      Marty and I discussed setting up this organization, we quite intentionally
      structured it to be chapter-driven. We felt, and I still feel, that "community" is
      an important goal of our organization, and "community" is best fostered by
      proximity. I also felt that different chapters would end up with different interest
      areas and different types of membership with different needs to be met.. With local
      chapter control paramount, each chapter could determine its own activities and
      policies within the very broad goals and objectives of the ICG.

      As I understand it, the main activities of the ICG are still chapter-oriented and to
      avoid a powerful national group dictating to the chapters, I intentionally set the
      initial dues at $1 a person and made the money flow from the chapters to the ICG. If
      the money comes from the individual members to a national group and then back to the
      chapters, in my experience, national gets to thinking it can set the guidelines on
      how it can be spent. And if you send them a lot of money (i.e. big dues) they have
      lots to spend and get even more dicatorial. A weak national/central organization
      gives the local group more autonomy. I felt and still feel, that the chapter is the
      heart and soul of our organization and that we should solve our financial problems
      without setting up a strong central organization.

      That being said, good grief, take the dues to $3! After 15 years, we can stand it!

      Belonging to a chapter if you are an outlander

      When Marty and I wrote the first set of organizational guidelines, we stated that
      any member could belong to any chapter he/she chose, irrespective of geographic
      location. We discussed a "member at large" membership type, but with a dues
      structure coming to the ICG through a chapter, we didn't have a good way to
      implement that. And also, as noted above, this was always intended to have a strong
      local focus. Since this was a chapter-based organization from the very beginning,
      you did have to pick a chapter to belong to. But you could pick any one anywhere!

      Since the very beginning, the CGW has had a fair number of "out-of-area" members
      who like our newsletter and general style. Among the CGW, Sick Pups and SLUTS, to
      name three that span the USA and publish regular newsletters, a member could get at
      least 1/3 of a continent close to others. The CGW has set up a number of
      sub-chapters over the years, to serve the needs of its members in particular areas,
      and has "Graduated" three of them to full chapter status as we got enough folks in
      an area to go it alone. CGW has always been a large, diverse chapter and a home to
      those not otherwise in an affiliated chapter area.

      Newsletter sharing and keeping each other informed.

      The CGW has sent its monthly newsletter to the ICG President and to every chapter
      for which we had a current address for many years. We have enjoyed receiving the
      newsletters of other chapters in exchange. Perhaps this informal system should be
      incorporated into the Standing Rules in the following format, so that the custom has
      more than informal status:

      **** Proposed standing rule: It shall be customary for each chapter publishing a
      newsletter to mail a copy to all other ICG chapters, the ICG President and the
      Costumer's Quarterly editor. *****

      Note the wording is "customary" not "mandatory", so if a chapter can't do it, they
      don't get dinged for it!
      This does help keep the chapters up to date on what's going on with each other.

      The CGW has also made it a policy to offer subscriptions to "Squeals" to other ICG
      members who wish to receive its newsletter in addition to their own. Current rate is
      $10 per year. Perhaps other chapters would like to do the same and the chapter
      subscription information could be published in the CQ!.
    • Elaine Mami
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000
        Janet,

        THANK YOU for setting all of us straight. So few of us were around in the
        beginning (The Sick Pups were whelped as chapter #3) that a lot just got
        missed in the growing.

        I'm also delighted to hear from you again. Welcome back.

        Elaine

        http://profiles.msn.com