Re: [ICG-D] Re: Nature's Winter Costuming

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2006
      On Tuesday, January 31, 2006, at 07:08 PM, Jay and Denisen wrote:

      > Do you eat slices of the quince with a runcible spoon
      > 8-D
      > . . . writes Denisen, who's fighting the flu, and clearly bored . . .
      >
      >> . . . quince is getting its red leaves - just in
      >> time for Chinese New Year.

      Ornamental quince does not bear fruit. Only red leaves in the winter
      time. The rest of the year, green leaves are on the plant.

    • Dawn McKechnie
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
        Quiet you !

        Love, Canada

        ^_~

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
          On Wednesday, February 1, 2006, at 12:54 PM, Dawn McKechnie wrote:

          > Quiet you !
          >
          > Love, Canada
          >
          > ^_~

          In another group that a buddy of mine belongs to, that's called a
          f***head report. It's supposed to make people jealous. ;-)

        • Christina and Martin
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
            Okay fellow Canadians.. Try this one on for size. Here in BC we
            communciate a lot whith a group in Seattle (Both LOTR groups) and when
            we invited them up for a movie marathon and our fearless leader
            decided to warn them that flighty light Elf costumes may not be warm
            enough in the old building we were going to be in, this is what
            transpired.
            --------------------
            > and Gore-Tex? ;-)
            > > > >
            > > > You are ill Kiran.
            > >
            > > Hee! But this is the Pacific Northwest/Coastal BC! We all wear
            > > fleece and Gore-Tex! Don't you think it'd be amusing to see
            > > someone's costume made out of it?
            >
            > Iller still.
            >
            > > Picture Legolas! With a mossy green Gore-Tex jerkin, a soft grey
            > > fleece underlayer, and waterproof-breathable pants! He'd be set
            for any weather!
            > > *sigh* Maybe it's just funnier in *my* head.
            >
            > Ummm.. Hon.. Hobbit.... Elves don't have to worry about extra
            warmth in their clothing. They're Elves... Although.. As I envision
            it... It is a rather funny thought.. Okay.. There it is.. And...OWCH!!!
            > Feeding a Canadian Steriotype here... Legolas being quoted as
            saying "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard, EH." hurts!!!

            ---------

            I just love my new BC costuming friends.
            Christina
            http://www.carrhunger.com

            --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Carole Parker <mscip@...> wrote:

            > On Wednesday, February 1, 2006, at 12:54 PM, Dawn McKechnie wrote:
            >
            > > Quiet you !
            > >
            > > Love, Canada
            > >
            > > ^_~
            > >

            > In another group that a buddy of mine belongs to, that's called a
            > f***head report. It's supposed to make people jealous. ;-)
            >
            > Until later--
            >
            > Carole

          • herselfthe_elf
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
              We've had an incredibly mild winter too (since New Year's, at least)
              but here it just means it's been March weather...i.e. rain, freezing
              rain, mud, and general ugliness. I'm really worried for the trees and
              bushes when the normal winter weather inevitably returns, as they're
              all budding from the warmth. o_o;

              -- Maral

              --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Carole Parker <mscip@...> wrote:

              > I hate being sick with a cold.
              >
              > However, it gives me time to enjoy the floral costuming in our
              > backyard. One of the camilla bushes is blooming and the other one shows
              > lots of buds. The ornamental quince is getting its red leaves - just in
              > time for Chinese New Year. The flowering plum with its lavender blooms
              > is looking very pretty. In fact, I don't recall seeing it so lavender
              > before. This must be a special year for the tree. Plus, the margarites
              > are their sunny yellow selves.
              >
              > An added visual feature last week is that I saw a neighbor's magnolia
              > tree in full bloom. Big white and lavender leaves. Yep, our winter has
              > been that mild this year.
              >
              > Until later--
              >
              > Carole

            • Molly Glenn
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                Well, my camelia bushes are blooming and my fruit
                trees aren't just ornamenal, but what what does a
                person do with kumquats?

                --Molly

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                  On Friday, February 3, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Molly Glenn wrote:

                  > Well, my camelia bushes are blooming and my fruit
                  > trees aren't just ornamenal, but what what does a
                  > person do with kumquats?

                  We've got kumquats too. You can eat them directly off the tree/bush,
                  make marmalade out of it (lots of recipes on the web!), or use it to
                  make a sauce to put on chicken. We tried one recipe with kumquats for
                  the sauce, and it was delicious.

                  If you don't want to eat the kumquats yourself, you could donate them
                  to a local food bank and let them distribute them. They're always
                  looking for fresh fruit to distribute.

                • Andrew Trembley
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Molly Glenn wrote:
                    > Well, my camelia bushes are blooming and my fruit
                    > trees aren't just ornamenal, but what what does a
                    > person do with kumquats?

                    Marmalade

                    andy
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Use the rind in the preparation of rahadlakum. ("It's made with the fruit of the lichee nut combined with the kumquat rind/the kind of confection to drive a man out of his Mesopotamian mind!" according to the song from Kismet.)

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Eat them. Or send them to us, Pierre loves them and they're really
                        expensive here in Nebraska <vbg>. Or make marmalade - they're a
                        citrus fruit, after all.....

                        Sandy

                        At 01:46 PM 2/3/2006, you wrote:
                        >Well, my camelia bushes are blooming and my fruit
                        >trees aren't just ornamenal, but what what does a
                        >person do with kumquats?
                        >
                        >--Molly

                        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                        -- C.Y. 4971

                        Andromeda
                      • Ricky & Karen Dick
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                          I'll second the "eat them" part. My parents used to have a kumquat bush in
                          their yard in San Diego, CA (all kinds of other citrus, too), and I miss
                          them! The rinds are sweet, and the innards are tart, which is a pleasing
                          combination. And they are expensive here in Pittsburgh, too.

                          To keep this on-topic for costuming, I once designed a STAR-TREKish uniform
                          for a friend from junior high whose character was "Captain Peaches of the
                          U.S.S. Kumquat." No lie.

                          --Karen

                          At 11:41 PM 2/3/2006 -0600, you wrote:
                          >Eat them. Or send them to us, Pierre loves them and they're really
                          >expensive here in Nebraska <vbg>. Or make marmalade - they're a
                          >citrus fruit, after all.....
                          >
                          >Sandy
                          >
                          >At 01:46 PM 2/3/2006, you wrote:
                          >what what does a >person do with kumquats?
                          > >
                          > >--Molly
                        • Ricky & Karen Dick
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                            I'd like to recommend a source. The company is Costume Heaven out of Red
                            Lion, PA. They sell on eBay under the id "costumeheaven." Pricing (at least
                            on the things I've bought) has been about 1/2 to 2/3 of what I'd pay retail
                            out of my usual sources (Mendel's and International Silks and Woolens in
                            California, or The Fabric Place here in Pittsburgh). Color selection is
                            excellent, too. Fast shipping and very courteous service. I'm buying the
                            super heavyweight spandex that is similar to what is used for NFL pants,
                            but she carries other types of spandex as well.

                            Definitely worth a look if you are making superhero, anime, dance, or skate
                            costumes.

                            --Karen
                          • Lisa A. Ashton
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                              Kumquats are yummy. Look in an older cookbook (Joy of Cooking probably
                              has recipes). I ahve simmered them in a sugar syrup and they are also
                              good added to other fruit in preserves.

                              Yours in costuming, Lisa a.
                              Usually a whiz with jams

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
                                On Saturday, February 4, 2006, at 06:52 AM, Ricky & Karen Dick wrote:

                                > I'll second the "eat them" part. My parents used to have a kumquat
                                > bush in
                                > their yard in San Diego, CA (all kinds of other citrus, too), and I
                                > miss
                                > them! The rinds are sweet, and the innards are tart, which is a
                                > pleasing
                                > combination. And they are expensive here in Pittsburgh, too.
                                >
                                > To keep this on-topic for costuming, I once designed a STAR-TREKish
                                > uniform
                                > for a friend from junior high whose character was "Captain Peaches of
                                > the
                                > U.S.S. Kumquat." No lie.

                                Hmmm. Reads like I'll have to bring some kumquats along if I make it to
                                Des Moine this year. If I don't, I may ship some back with Kevin and
                                Andy if they're ripe.

                              • Carolyn Kayta Barrows
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 6, 2006
                                  >Hmmm. Reads like I'll have to bring some kumquats along if I make it to
                                  >Des Moine this year. If I don't, I may ship some back with Kevin and
                                  >Andy if they're ripe.

                                  Got any to spare for kumquat marmalade? I have a marmalade-making costume...

                                  CarolynKayta Barrows
                                  dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
                                  www.FunStuft.com

                                  //// \\\