Gloves with claws?

  • Jeff Morris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
      One of the people on a message board I mod asked this, and being Mr.
      Helpful, I said I'd ask the "Pros from Dover", so to speak:

      Scroll down to the short black gloves
      www.abfab.co.uk/Fancy_Dre...&txtSize=#

      I need to attach some claws to them, or the inside. Suggestions? Any
      ideas would be apprechiated!

      Also, if anyone knows of some gloves with claws on (like catwomen's
      out of the recent one) would be helpful too ^^
    • Lisa A. Ashton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
        I couldn't find the "short black gloves" on the site, but suggestions for
        putting claws onto gloves:

        I often make the claws separately out of either store-bough "press-on"
        nails or out of thin plastic sheets (old brown filmstrips work well, as
        do plastic bead tubes cut up; I"ve even used Xray plastic sheets). Then
        I spray paint them with Krylon or whatever before I attach them to the
        gloves.

        After trimming the base so it's curved, I put some hot glue (low-temp) on
        the finger tip of the glove (NOTE: Stuff the fingers so that it's easier
        to attach them) and place the base of the nail or claw firmly on the hot
        glue. Once it has hardened there are two choices, either use a thin bead
        of hot glue on top of the base area, or use the squeezy fabric paint with
        the nice plastic tips, which takes longer to dry. You can even paint in
        some interesting veins and wrinkles on the finger tip.

        I've had great results with this.

        Yours in costuming, Lisa A.
      • Puppetmaker
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
          What kind of claws is my question. I can come up with a couple of ways to do
          it including making them out of metle and wrapping them around the finger

          /\
          || <A very rough idea about what I am suggesting.
          |===|

          Kath

        • Julie Zetterberg Sardo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
            Betty Biglow once made black fur gloves with retractable claws for a
            cat costume. I don't remember all the details, but basically I
            believe the claws were attached to a tight cotton glove, with elastic
            running from the claws up the topside of each finger, so as she bent
            her fingers the claws would retract. Then she wore the furry gloves,
            with holes in the fingertips, over the top. Unfortunately it was a
            detail that took a lot of work and was hard to see through the fur,
            even up close, but it did work.

            You needn't do the retracting mechanism, but you could use
            the 'underglove' as a way of attaching the claws securely but
            invisibly.

            --Julie ZS
          • Lady Kareena Sartek
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
              I've done something like this or made my claws out of something else
              before, for a felionaoid costume I've done back when younger and
              other costumes later on, including my son's werewolf costume I did
              for him when he was seven years old--this oncluded claws on his feet
              too.
              Pam