Re: macdude] NOBODY expects the Christian Dior Inquisition? Really...

  • victoriandiva@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
      In a message dated 1/27/2006 7:30:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      ICG-D@yahoogroups.com writes:
      > Link to UK Vogue report, Link to Vogue photo set, link to NYT story.
      >
      > http://www.vogue.co.uk/Shows/Photos/Default.aspx?showID=3021

      I took a look at the photos. What was the guy on or under the influence
      of when he did the couture line? Out of 24 items, I saw six that I
      could readily see being made into something that a lot of women would
      be willing to wear.

      Now, the Ready to Wear line had some interesting stuff that looked more
      realistic. It also had some pretty dyework that I would want to get a
      closer look at if I could. A lot of it is stuff that I could not wear
      properly with my figure, but I saw some stuff that looked like it could
      be sized up for larger sizes. As in, other than a stick figure.

      The runway shows are conceptual. Runway fashion ian't particularly about
      being worn, except perhaps by a few front row groupies and of course, the heroine
      addict models. It IS about getting celebrities in, and about getting media
      coverage. There was just an article in WWD about how much the runway scene had
      changed so that these days it is all about spectacle and media inches, rather
      than the fashion per se. An interesting shift in focus.

      If you're looking for clothes to wear, you almost have to go to the mass
      market lines. They pull ideas/concepts/details from the couture runway shows and
      knock 'em off. Target is doing some very interesting stuff these days and
      believe it or not Walmart. I think their core brands are going to take a big step
      up over the next several months. You may hate these mass market stores, but
      I bet they will be your 'dirty little secret' shopping wise (if they aren't
      already) when you see some of the new lines they're going to be bowing. Some of
      the early looks at walmart stuff are quite exciting.

      ~shenlei

    • ARD
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2006
        LOL for the Christian Dior Inquisition header!

        At 01:27 PM 1/28/2006 +0000, you wrote:
        > > Link to UK Vogue report, Link to Vogue photo set, link to NYT story.
        > >
        > > http://www.vogue.co.uk/Shows/Photos/Default.aspx?showID=3021
        >
        >I took a look at the photos. What was the guy on or under the influence
        >of when he did the couture line? Out of 24 items, I saw six that I
        >could readily see being made into something that a lot of women would
        >be willing to wear.

        All I saw were some ideas that I might be able to use for a convention
        masquerade. NONE of them looked acceptable for clothes that you might
        actually....y'know, wear. What are they thinking? Is this something
        equivalent to the fashion version conceptual art?

        The United States is a secular nation.
        -- Anne Davenport kjaneway@...
      • Stephanie Carrigg
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
          On Jan 29, 2006, at 9:04 PM, ARD wrote:

          > LOL for the Christian Dior Inquisition header!
          >
          > At 01:27 PM 1/28/2006 +0000, you wrote:
          > > > Link to UK Vogue report, Link to Vogue photo set, link to NYT
          > story.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.vogue.co.uk/Shows/Photos/Default.aspx?showID=3021
          > >
          > >I took a look at the photos. What was the guy on or under the
          > influence
          > >of when he did the couture line? Out of 24 items, I saw six that I
          > >could readily see being made into something that a lot of women would
          > >be willing to wear.
          >
          > All I saw were some ideas that I might be able to use for a convention
          > masquerade. NONE of them looked acceptable for clothes that you might
          > actually....y'know, wear.  What are they thinking?  Is this something
          > equivalent to the fashion version conceptual art?

          Haute Couture is not ready to wear.
          It's the designers opportunity to create outrageous pieces that are
          considered more artistic than street wear.
          Creating a line like this allows Dior the opportunity to gain press and
          publicity. What will probably happen, is after he will create a ready
          to wear line that will taken an element or two from the Haute Couture
          line, like the use of color or the the bold pattern of the line, and he
          will create a more conservative line that can be sold and worn by the
          public.

          Stephanie