Re: taking off shoes in airports

  • Elaine Mami
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
      Personally, I prefer to be shoeless as much as possible. It's putting them
      back on that I object to.

      Besides, I have cute feet.

      Elaine

      Nil significat nisi oscillat!

      > Taking one's shoes off allows the chance to show of one's stylish socks.
      >Somewhere I've read that sock sales went up when airport security
      >tightened- apparently the $$ suits were not matched by well kempt socks.
      >Vicki

    • Jeff Morris
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Molly Glenn <svengala_silvereye@y...>
        wrote:

        > As someone who flies frequently, I can tell you that
        > not all airports require shoe removal at all times of
        > day, but I always take my shoes off, because going
        > through a pat-down when the nails in your heels set of
        > the metal detector is far more of a pain than taking
        > your shoes off, especially if you choose shoes that
        > are easy to put on and take off. Still, nothing quite
        > compares to the security from when I flew
        > internationally on September 13th, 2001.
        >
        > --Molly

        I can only guess.

        I still laugh about my overseas business trip back in 1999. I had to
        fly into London's Gatwick Airport; on the return trip, I was pulled
        over and given a thorough frisking. As he patted me down, the
        security agent thanked me for my cooperation, apologized for the
        inconvenience, that will be all sir we hope you enjoyed your stay in
        England and do hope you'll return soon thank you very much.

        As I told my wife, it was the most polite screening I'd ever
        experienced. I almost felt bad about not tipping him afterward.

        JSM
      • Ricky & Karen Dick
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
          > Still, nothing quite
          > > compares to the security from when I flew
          > > internationally on September 13th, 2001.
          > >
          > > --Molly

          Yikes, I bet.
          We were working in Denver area on a haunt and where to fly home on--sept
          11th--. so we got to stay a bit longer than expected, and the airport was
          about deserted when we finally could come home and security was pretty
          wacky. Karen kept our unused tix as one of our more morbid souveniers.

          security was even wackier in 03 when we came home from a California trip
          with about 40 lbs of beads in a rolling carry on.( that we were checking)
          That much metal lining( bugles) and the weight to size ratio tweaked all
          sorts of alarms with them.

        • McClure, Kate
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
            Taking one's shoes off allows the chance to show of one's stylish
            socks. Somewhere I've read that sock sales went up when airport security
            tightened- apparently the $$ suits were not matched by well kempt socks.
            Vicki

            ****************

            When flying, I always wear my special black and orange striped toe
            socks. As a costumer, I feel it is my duty to brighten the day of our
            mundane brethren whenever possible. Or at least make the day a little
            more surreal. Whichever.

            Kate McClure
            Grand Pooh-Bah
            Beyond Reality Costumers Guild
            www.brcg.org
          • bruno
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
              If you were in town through the following weekend, you could have come out for the local Anime con, as it was the weekend after 9/11. Attendance was very low that year, and most of the guests cancelled. I don't recall if any of the Japanese guest made it or not.

              Bruno

            • Bruce & Nora Mai
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 6, 2005
                Yeah, I'd agree with shoeless. And apparently this goes a long way back, my
                mom couldn't keep my shoes on for anything.
                My feet aren't neccessarily cute, but they're functional.

                Nora
                > Personally, I prefer to be shoeless as much as possible. It's putting
                > them
                > back on that I object to.
                >
                > Besides, I have cute feet.
                >
                > Elaine
                >
                > Nil significat nisi oscillat!
                >

                >> Taking one's shoes off allows the chance to show of one's stylish socks.
                >>Somewhere I've read that sock sales went up when airport security
                >>tightened- apparently the $$ suits were not matched by well kempt socks.
                >>Vicki

              • Dawn McKechnie
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 6, 2005
                  I don't know why, but this amused me. *^_^*

                  ~Dawn :)

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 7, 2005
                    At 06:49 AM 12/6/2005, you wrote:
                    >Yeah, I'd agree with shoeless. And apparently this goes a long way back, my
                    >mom couldn't keep my shoes on for anything.
                    >My feet aren't neccessarily cute, but they're functional.

                    I tend to go shoeless as well. Hate shoes if I don't actually need
                    them. Sandy, on the other hand, almost never goes barefoot. (a.
                    tender feet b. cold feet (in winter, at least) c. mother who never
                    let me go barefoot as a kid)

                    Pierre

                    >Nora

                    "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                    Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                    -- C.Y. 4971

                    Andromeda
                  • randwhit@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 8, 2005
                      In a message dated 12/7/05 9:49:12 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                      costumrs@... writes:

                      I tend to go shoeless as well. Hate shoes if I don't actually need
                      them. Sandy, on the other hand, almost never goes barefoot. (a.
                      tender feet b. cold feet (in winter, at least) c. mother who never
                      let me go barefoot as a kid)

                      I get a few editorial comments because I wear house slippers around the
                      office.

                      I have recurring trouble with some tendons in my right foot ever since the
                      freak dog-walking accident a few years ago. Who needs steel toes for writing
                      stuff on a computer anyway?

                      I counter comment that it's not me who tracks oily mud from construction
                      sites on the carpet .

                      Randall