Re: [ICG-D] Re: Breaking News: TSA to Allow Small Scissors on Planes

  • randwhit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
      In a message dated 12/5/05 8:23:33 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
      svengala_silvereye@... writes:

      As someone who flies frequently, I can tell you that
      not all airports require shoe removal at all times of
      day, but I always take my shoes off, because going
      through a pat-down when the nails in your heels set of
      the metal detector is far more of a pain than taking
      your shoes off, especially if you choose shoes that
      are easy to put on and take off. Still, nothing quite
      compares to the security from when I flew
      internationally on September 13th, 2001.

      Like Andy's boots, my walking shoes have steel parts that always set off the
      metal detector. I have to take them off, even at the AZ state capital
      building and local courthouses.

      Between homeland security and global warming, maybe it's time for nudism to
      make a comeback.

      Randall

    • Elaine Mami
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
        Personally, I prefer to be shoeless as much as possible. It's putting them
        back on that I object to.

        Besides, I have cute feet.

        Elaine

        Nil significat nisi oscillat!

        > Taking one's shoes off allows the chance to show of one's stylish socks.
        >Somewhere I've read that sock sales went up when airport security
        >tightened- apparently the $$ suits were not matched by well kempt socks.
        >Vicki

      • Jeff Morris
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
          --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Molly Glenn <svengala_silvereye@y...>
          wrote:

          > As someone who flies frequently, I can tell you that
          > not all airports require shoe removal at all times of
          > day, but I always take my shoes off, because going
          > through a pat-down when the nails in your heels set of
          > the metal detector is far more of a pain than taking
          > your shoes off, especially if you choose shoes that
          > are easy to put on and take off. Still, nothing quite
          > compares to the security from when I flew
          > internationally on September 13th, 2001.
          >
          > --Molly

          I can only guess.

          I still laugh about my overseas business trip back in 1999. I had to
          fly into London's Gatwick Airport; on the return trip, I was pulled
          over and given a thorough frisking. As he patted me down, the
          security agent thanked me for my cooperation, apologized for the
          inconvenience, that will be all sir we hope you enjoyed your stay in
          England and do hope you'll return soon thank you very much.

          As I told my wife, it was the most polite screening I'd ever
          experienced. I almost felt bad about not tipping him afterward.

          JSM
        • Ricky & Karen Dick
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
            > Still, nothing quite
            > > compares to the security from when I flew
            > > internationally on September 13th, 2001.
            > >
            > > --Molly

            Yikes, I bet.
            We were working in Denver area on a haunt and where to fly home on--sept
            11th--. so we got to stay a bit longer than expected, and the airport was
            about deserted when we finally could come home and security was pretty
            wacky. Karen kept our unused tix as one of our more morbid souveniers.

            security was even wackier in 03 when we came home from a California trip
            with about 40 lbs of beads in a rolling carry on.( that we were checking)
            That much metal lining( bugles) and the weight to size ratio tweaked all
            sorts of alarms with them.

          • McClure, Kate
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
              Taking one's shoes off allows the chance to show of one's stylish
              socks. Somewhere I've read that sock sales went up when airport security
              tightened- apparently the $$ suits were not matched by well kempt socks.
              Vicki

              ****************

              When flying, I always wear my special black and orange striped toe
              socks. As a costumer, I feel it is my duty to brighten the day of our
              mundane brethren whenever possible. Or at least make the day a little
              more surreal. Whichever.

              Kate McClure
              Grand Pooh-Bah
              Beyond Reality Costumers Guild
              www.brcg.org
            • bruno
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
                If you were in town through the following weekend, you could have come out for the local Anime con, as it was the weekend after 9/11. Attendance was very low that year, and most of the guests cancelled. I don't recall if any of the Japanese guest made it or not.

                Bruno

              • Bruce & Nora Mai
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 6, 2005
                  Yeah, I'd agree with shoeless. And apparently this goes a long way back, my
                  mom couldn't keep my shoes on for anything.
                  My feet aren't neccessarily cute, but they're functional.

                  Nora
                  > Personally, I prefer to be shoeless as much as possible. It's putting
                  > them
                  > back on that I object to.
                  >
                  > Besides, I have cute feet.
                  >
                  > Elaine
                  >
                  > Nil significat nisi oscillat!
                  >

                  >> Taking one's shoes off allows the chance to show of one's stylish socks.
                  >>Somewhere I've read that sock sales went up when airport security
                  >>tightened- apparently the $$ suits were not matched by well kempt socks.
                  >>Vicki

                • Dawn McKechnie
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 6, 2005
                    I don't know why, but this amused me. *^_^*

                    ~Dawn :)

                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 7, 2005
                      At 06:49 AM 12/6/2005, you wrote:
                      >Yeah, I'd agree with shoeless. And apparently this goes a long way back, my
                      >mom couldn't keep my shoes on for anything.
                      >My feet aren't neccessarily cute, but they're functional.

                      I tend to go shoeless as well. Hate shoes if I don't actually need
                      them. Sandy, on the other hand, almost never goes barefoot. (a.
                      tender feet b. cold feet (in winter, at least) c. mother who never
                      let me go barefoot as a kid)

                      Pierre

                      >Nora

                      "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                      Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                      -- C.Y. 4971

                      Andromeda
                    • randwhit@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 8, 2005
                        In a message dated 12/7/05 9:49:12 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                        costumrs@... writes:

                        I tend to go shoeless as well. Hate shoes if I don't actually need
                        them. Sandy, on the other hand, almost never goes barefoot. (a.
                        tender feet b. cold feet (in winter, at least) c. mother who never
                        let me go barefoot as a kid)

                        I get a few editorial comments because I wear house slippers around the
                        office.

                        I have recurring trouble with some tendons in my right foot ever since the
                        freak dog-walking accident a few years ago. Who needs steel toes for writing
                        stuff on a computer anyway?

                        I counter comment that it's not me who tracks oily mud from construction
                        sites on the carpet .

                        Randall