Re: [ICG-D] Vintage fabrics

  • Lisa A. Ashton
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2005
      Hi there. Not much on the list lately, I know you are all actively
      getting ready for the holiday season.

      A friend of mine has given me 4 HUGE bags of 60's and 70's fabrics.
      There is significant yardage of double-knits (in various solids, both
      bright and pastels, plaid patterns, some heavy, some light and drapey).
      There is quite a lot of brown velveteen, upholstery weight, and a couple
      big pieces of fake fur (fairly short nap with the sturdy backing that
      fake furs had then--there is a dark gray and a dark brown). There is
      some flannel, mostly plaid patterns. There is a large piece of blanket
      wool, in an interesting olive and orange plaid (I know, I know).

      It's all pristine and clean, has been in someone's attic, unused, never
      even unfolded from the fabric store (my friend's explanation was that
      these were folks who lived throught the Great Depression, and never htrew
      anything out). I live north of Silver Spring, MD. Anyone around here
      who wants anything, please email me and we'll make arrangements for you
      to get what you want. I promised him that it would all get to a good
      home.

      Anyway........hope you are all having fun, and costuming like mad for
      upcoming cons. I'll see some of you hopefully at Arisia in JAnuary in
      Boston. Unable to make it to Philcon this year due to family issues. We
      did have some good news though--my daughter got accepted to her first
      college!!! We are ecstatic.

      Yours in costuming, Lisa A.
    • ARD
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2005
        At 11:43 AM 11/29/2005 +0000, you wrote:
        >A friend of mine has given me 4 HUGE bags of 60's and 70's fabrics.

        Are they all polyester/synthetic fabrics? Are there any paisley or border
        prints?

        The United States is a secular nation.
        -- Anne Davenport kjaneway@...
      • Lisa A. Ashton
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2005
          Are they all polyester/synthetic fabrics? Are there any paisley or
          > border
          > prints?

          Yes, they are almost completely synthetic double-knits, but there are
          different weights and textures.

          No--there are no paisleys or border prints that I found, in fact, very
          few prints, mostly solids. There is one white print with some flowers (I
          guess about 1-2" diameter flower clusters) that I remember, and there was
          at least one plaid. The solids are quite varied, from very dark to very
          light pastel colors and in between. There is one piece with a sort of
          open check pattern with red one way and blue the other on an off-white
          background, this may be part cotton.

          The orange/olive green plaid is spoken for as are pretty much all the
          flannel plaids.

          Some people have already asked for specific things, and I am getting
          boxes filled and sent out today. The next con I will be driving to will
          be Lunacon, and although this is months away, I could bring things to it.
          Sorry I cannot get to Philcon this year, just too many family issues
          need my attention here.

          Yours in costuming, Lisa A>