Lord of the Rings

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
      There will be a number of books out for Lord of the Rings. Totally gorgeous
      pictures.... I've actually gotten to paw them at work. Amazon says they can
      release the books on the 6th... so time to get the sewing machines goings.

      They're releasing kids books as well, so you can get some good pictures for
      not a lot of money.

      If you're getting the action figures... they are VERY accurate for the
      costumes and the details is very good for the level. One thing, be careful.
      Get Toy Biz ones only. There is another company that has the licensing
      rights from the book and Toy stores are marketing them together. Most of
      the Toy Biz figures are not suppose to be out yet... but some of the
      non-chain stores have put them out already to get a jump of folks. Also,
      places like Amazon/Toy-R-Us are selling them by the group, so they're easier
      to collect without running from store to store.

      The main site, www.LordOfTheRings.net, finally has some pictures where you
      can almost see the costumes, but so far, it's mostly hobbits. (Warning,
      it's real flash heavy, so be patient.) A good index is the fan site:
      www.TheOneRing.net. The really cool costumes are elfin... and what folks
      are wearing there, but those are the one that they're hiding until the movie
      comes out.

      Suggested fabrics to horde: Crinkles. They used quite a bit of crinkled
      silk include metallic mix. Find silver grey and you have a gold mind.
      Crinkled gauze would work in a pinch. We're going to have trouble finding
      like fabrics because a lot of these were bought, or made to order in
      India... so maybe time to check the sari district and see what kind of
      textured fabrics they have. For guys, shirt weight (to a bit heavier) linen
      with thin woven stripes/squares. In the movie, those fine thread lines are
      going to look more like texture than anything else.

      OK, so why do I know the tidbits.... I work right out side of photo at New
      Line Cinema. They have my nose prints on their walls. But I can't even
      talk about the stuff I see unless I can find it somewhere on the web.
      ACK... going crazy... with the wait. The stuff is so beautiful. May
      actually get a copy of the press book, but don't know if I'm going to be
      that lucky... but will let folks know...

      -Cat- (trying to figure out how to see it before even the employee
      screening)
    • jantije@mitec.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
        I'd heard the books coming out were going to be right up our alley --
        I can't wait!!!

        You might try www.tolkienmovies.com & www.fantasyplanet.cz for better
        pictures. TolkienMovies has a great collection of photos from a
        variety of sources as well as being a pretty decent source of news.
        It also comes up a lot faster than the "official" site.
        FantasyPlanet is also good & will give you a chance to practice your
        Czech.

        Jean Dewey(remember DenMom from CC10?)

      • Alix
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 29, 2004
          Gentlebeings:

          They took eleven awards including Best Director and Best Picture, as well as a number of others, including costume!

          Peace
          Alixandra
          eddana@...